Memoribilia to view - A guide

I found this Samson Tiger ah-oh-ga horn.  A little rough but works great with fabulous sound. I bought it at my favorite antique store and the owner is always looking for interesting auto stuff for me when she is out picking. $25.  What applications have you guys seen these used on?

90A3A42C-F39F-46BE-88C7-4B64496B3A0E.jpeg.51bbc34cd95f3b1575670d8d5211914b.jpeg8D074682-C0DA-46F8-88A7-B64770181B06.jpeg.66503ada1aae0653a9719450977f3ad3.jpegABC6DB4B-4C69-484A-A89E-AEDB518812D6.jpeg.afa5ffd1a568c9b85a927609a732e800.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/26/2022 at 7:01 PM, John Bloom said:

I found this Samson Tiger ah-oh-ga horn.  A little rough but works great with fabulous sound. I bought it at my favorite antique store and the owner is always looking for interesting auto stuff for me when she is out picking. $25.  What applications have you guys seen these used on?

90A3A42C-F39F-46BE-88C7-4B64496B3A0E.jpeg.51bbc34cd95f3b1575670d8d5211914b.jpeg8D074682-C0DA-46F8-88A7-B64770181B06.jpeg.66503ada1aae0653a9719450977f3ad3.jpegABC6DB4B-4C69-484A-A89E-AEDB518812D6.jpeg.afa5ffd1a568c9b85a927609a732e800.jpeg

Its one of many different brands of horns available as aftermarket accessories sold in auto parts stores and through catalogs. These were sold for any car you anted to put it on.

Terry

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 7:07 AM, TheMoneyPit said:

Here’s one for Terry, who was disparaging evil-bay on another thread…

A very high quality French mascot of an “Alsatian” (German Shepard) signed E. Bregeon. 

You can find quality there, but you have to hunt them down and competition can be fierce…

452A3CC5-CA7F-4FD6-8180-2440C135A12F.jpeg

Great find.  There are some bargains if you do the digging and closer examination. I like searching using unconventional terminology in descriptions.  This tiny brass lamp turned up listed as a "skaters lamp" when actually it is a salesmans sample of a C.M.Hall cold-blast automobile sidelight. Very rare piece purchased with at an almost give-away buy it now price.

20181127_170314-1.jpg

• Like 3

Nice little lamp! Those bargains are heavily outweighed by the ton of overpriced mediocrity, but a little prospecting can yield fabulous gems.

A friend once searched calvEry sword by accident and found a super civil war sword for peanuts. This was more than a few years ago when eBay was fairly new but I still try to search common misspelling and it sometimes works. Same with miss-listed categories, I found a Templar emblem for $35 a couple years ago in a fraternal category.

• Like 2

Here is a "smokin great piece" of automobilia!   Recently acquired, this is a carved pipe in the shape of an early motorist.  Note the goggles with jewels for eyes.  There is also a tiny silver stud in the top front center of his cap.  I'd date it in the early 1900s, most likely a European item from Germany, Austria, France, or? 

I'm really curious about the imagry - could it be the infamous "red devil" Camille Jenatzy? 

There is a lot of great automobilia related to smoking so let's share some of it here. 

Terry

Carved Motorist head view 2 my collection.jpg

Carved Motorist head my collection.jpg

More smokin stuff- pipes in all shapes and sizes.  The "motoring lady" is a very fragile clay pipe.  The "Bebe Peugeot" pipe is shown in the advertisement included.   The carved meerschaum pipe is really neat, but be aware there are some crudely carved reproductions being made on this.  The last one is a pipe I sadly missed in a European auction not long ago.  Can't have them all I guess. 

Terry

Motoring lady clay pipe.jpg

Bebe Peuteot pipe.jpg

Bebe Peugeot pipe advedrtisement.jpg

Carved automobile meerschaum pipe view 1.jpg

Clay motorist pipe.jpg

Great finds Bob-better luck than I had for sure.  The few antique shops I manage to catch were 99.9% yard sale.  Fortunately, I had a few packages waiting for me at home to ease the pain.  Enjoyed being with you on the tour.

Terry

11 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Enjoyed being with you on the tour.

Just sorry I didn't have time to scroll through the photos on your cell phone.  That could probably be the title of a future thread on the forum.   Living in Florida for 8 years with two kids in Texas I am pretty familiar with the Interstate 10.  The 8 hour trip home took 12 hours because of planned antique shop stops along the way.  The posted photos were my only finds.  Thinking about it over the years car tours have been great antique adventures.  One of the joys of touring.  Going on the Texoma tour in 2 weeks followed by the Chrome Glidden.  It is good to be back on the road after 2 years of Covid

There will be time eventually to go through some photos -

Our trip south this time was different so I thought some new stops might work out.  We went by way of Birmingham to avoid some storms coming down and made it a nice two day trip but I learned timing was off.  By the time we began encountering some intended destinations, the clock had us defeated and we missed closing time at a few.  Marked some x's on the map for the return but for the most part they were duds.  How they can get away with advertising themselves as "antique" shops I don't understand.  I save a lot of time by turning around and walking out when I see showcases full of beanie-babies and made-yesterday crap.   Things are a bit different now as so many shops have closed or are in post pandemic recovery mode.  I've found the best success lately in smaller out of the way individual shops.  There are a few good malls still around that focus on real antiques - a few even that clearly advertise - no crafts, or reproductions.  I did see  few nice items but with a focus on strictly quality early automobilia, offerings were limited.  I still have a few unexplored areas though.  Agree-great to be back on the road again! 

See ya on tour.

• Like 1

Another advertising lithograph from CC storage. Dated 1926. Purity Oats in Keokuk Iowa morphed into General Mills.    In 1920 they hired Corydon Rich to manufacture cardboard boxes to ship the oats in. This company became a nationwide success now called Stone Container Your Iowa history for today. 

C20E5681-4611-4DFF-9C35-3AF706E21BF4.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are two more items I just cleaned and would like to share. The brass disc is a hub cap ( wire wheel) badge that is 1 5/8 in diameter. It says along the top edge Mfg By Moon Motors  and along the bottom St. Louis , Mo.

the car mascot was made in England by A. E. Lejuene who made many very detailed wonderful accessory mascots in the 1920-1935 era.  7 1/2 inches from the bottom rim of the base to the top of her hair. Very heavy and cast in German Silver or brass then silver plated. Really whimsical to have a witch on a broom as a subject matter. Incredible detail as mentioned  , and to be cast via lost wax process.  I bought this nearly 40 years ago on one of my semi annual trips ( at the time) to England, it was found for me by my great friend Peter Moore of Chiltington, West Sussex.

Diana badge.jpg

Witch MASCOT.jpg

• Like 3

Excellent Walt, thanks for posting.  I'd not seen that witch on a broom before except in a book someplace. 

Terry

These are car badges , not to identify a particular car but to note the dealers that sold a car.  All are pre WWII era.  Earle C. Anthony Inc. was a well known distributor ( a step above a dealer)  of Packard cars in California, had dealerships the length of the state, top to bottom. the spaces at the bottom on two of those with his name were a place for the car owner to write in when the oil was last changed. These were usually mounted on the drivers door jamb.

The Warwick Wright and Pass & Joyce were British dealers in American cars.  The Pass & Joyce badge was also a St. Christopher when it was believed that that Saint would provide safe travel . Most likely did, but then cell phones were invented and distractions were more prevalent for a driver so St. Christopher had a much larger job to keep safe and protect the car passengers.  I have collected a lot of odd stuff over the years that tell the story of the cars, attitudes of car owners, and the mid set of the pre WWII era .

NO I do not give tours of my collection of collections, you will have to look here or in what I pen for car magazines to view! 🙃

BADGES ECS Warwick W Pass n Joyce.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1910 Boston Automobile Show -

Just added this great little menu to my collection.  It measures roughly 3 1/2" x 5".  The cover is nicely embossed although it doesn't really show in the photo.  Menu printed inside sounds pretty good and the price sure is right!    It's from the 1910 Boston Automobile Show.  I already had the postcard in my collection.   Any other items out there that I can add to my collection?  Pins? Fobs? Banners? Program?

Terry

Boston automobile show 1910 menu front.jpg

Boston automobile show 1910 menu.jpg

Boston automobile show 1910 card.JPG

• Like 2

Great stuff Dave - thanks for sharing.  I have that same salt and pepper shaker advertising Pontiac. 

Terry

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2022 at 9:59 AM, Terry Bond said:

Great stuff Dave - thanks for sharing.  I have that same salt and pepper shaker advertising Pontiac. 

Terry

These are the rare upside down new acquired buttons...you have to stand on your head for proper viewing...only if your in the upside down club..

20220531_215043.jpg

20220531_214956.jpg

20220531_214924.jpg

20220531_214900.jpg

It's worth standing upside down to see those. Some pretty rare stuff

Thanks for sharing.

Terry

• Haha 1

I'm not sure that we've covered many cabinets so I thought that I would post a few different ones that I've collected:

This one you see plenty of the counter top ones but not a lot with the rolling base.  They are interesting the more you examine them, how much they changed over the years and the cabinets are dated on the sides.

DSC_0789 (2).JPG

Autopar being the Canadian version of Mopar from the 70's into the 80's and beyond

DSC_0790 (2).JPG

Being a Mopar guy I like this one as a lot of people don't know the connection with the Dodge Brothers and the early speedometers being North East.  

DSC_0791 (2).JPG

Edited by 3macboys (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Display cabinets have always been a favorite of mine.  Of course my collection began with spark plug related cabinets, but it didn't take long for others to begin finding their way into my old auto parts store recreation.

1 hour ago, 3macboys said:

I'm not sure that we've covered many cabinets so I thought that I would post a few different ones that I've collected:

This one you see plenty of the counter top ones but not a lot with the rolling base.  They are interesting the more you examine them, how much they changed over the years and the cabinets are dated on the sides.

DSC_0789 (2).JPG

Autopar being the Canadian version of Mopar from the 70's into the 80's and beyond

DSC_0790 (2).JPG

Being a Mopar guy I like this one as a lot of people don't know the connection with the Dodge Brothers and the early speedometers being North East.  

DSC_0791 (2).JPG

993615384_AC1075forFords.jpg.f104778aec592a64aac959e66a2f7613.jpg

AC.jpg

Champion cabinet yellow.jpg

Hercules cabinet.jpg

Alemite cabinet.jpg

Fan belt display Badger.jpg

Mazda bulb cabinet.jpg

Nevalost gas caps display.jpg

Pliers cabinet.jpg

Schrader cabinet resized.jpg

Wilson goggle display case.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 2

That's a cool display, with batteries, cables, etc.  Makes it complete. 

Here are a couple of other interesting displays-

Apco horn button stand.jpg

Can No Rust.jpg

Ford choker springs.jpg

KIaxon display.jpg

Fatman steering wheel on display stand.jpg

Solder seal radiator compound.jpg

Toledo valves.jpg

Proof it's about passion and not money. Worlds most expensive radio display haha. Found the two radios that went with the display and had them fully restored. Next will be mounting it where I can actually get a reception inside the building. I have heavy travel coming up so will be a bit before I get this done, but was a giddy little kid when these radio's finally arrived. To my knowledge, this will be the only working display I've seen. I know of 2 others, one I used to own till I upgraded. 

7DEC6E33-4745-4CA4-A7D6-B8D6119BC6FB.jpeg

• Like 2

It's been quite a while since I posted anything about my Sheet Music collection but had to share this new acquisition.  It comes from an antique dealer who helps me find a few goodies occasionally.  This is a great addition to my collection of early automobile related sheet music.  It was published in London in 1902.  Amazing cover graphics!  Shading is just shadow from my poor photography! 

Will post a few more later.  Anyone else collect this stuff???

Terry

Thie Motor Car Polka by Felix Dumas, London 1902.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 2