Memoribilia to view - A guide

A lot of work to move this piece over 2' to the right. They made this sign in 2 sizes, the biggest being 16'. I managed to find a top and bottom to complete the 16' piece. The plymouth part faces the other direction from this one. I'm moving the one on the wall over 2' so we can put the other next to it and it "fit" all on the wall. The other is so tall it will go from the top of the white wall, to almost the floor. We'll build a cradle for the bottom plymouth part so the top and bottom are floating and not actually connected. If they are connected, it becomes too big to really handle. When I got the top part of the other sign, the can was made with ultra thin sheet metal, worthless. It's at the shop now getting a new can and actual support put in it so we can hang it. 12' tall porcelain signs are heavy, have to make sure it's safe. It took most of the day to safely move this piece over, but we got it done. This is the side of collecting people don't think about. The endless hours of hanging and moving things, especially large things. 

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 7.51.50 AM.png

Edited by Mike McCandless (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Wow-I have enough trouble hanging small stuff on 8' walls!   Do you have someone local to you who restores the neon? 

Terry

From my file of images - this neat British advertising piece for the Model T was sold at an auction in 2019.  Thought you might enjoy seeing it.  It's a good example of how far the Model T reached during it's life-time.  There is still a big following for the T in the UK, and in Scotland, they have even put a life-size bronze T in the town square in Ft. William commemorating the ascent of a Model T to the top of Ben Nevis, the highest mountain peak in the UK.  It was done in 1911.

Terry

British Ford advertising poster framed.jpg

• Like 3

It isn't often that one can find or have car items related to the town or village you live in. I have been the village historian for the town I live in for 25 years, and my family has lived here for nearly a century. this thermometer was picked up as a gift from the station named when it was new back in the early 1950s ( maybe earlier) . Makes a statement about an era when telephone numbers were not just all numbers but had Letters to let people now the area where the number was located FP being /meaning Floral Park.  It is painted wood.

ThermometerFP.jpg

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)

Here is a link to a story done by BBC about the T and the ascent of Ben Nevis in 1911.  It also includes a video of the car and a story about the bronze replica.  Enjoy-

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-44003271

Terry

On 2/25/2022 at 11:52 AM, Mike McCandless said:

Love adding the small pieces to the museum

C31C5405-EA18-42AB-AE61-C10852FBBED5_1_201_a.jpeg

I think there were a few posts a while back about ice-scrapers with garage/dealership advertising on them.  An interesting collectible for sure. 

Terry

• Like 1

Here is an interesting item that came from an antique dealer I'd bought from years ago.  When I saw photos of it I got really excited-and when it arrived, even more excited!  It is in almost new unused condition.   It's a "tapestry" by description, but is just a piece of linen with an early motoring scene printed on it.  These were available in dry-goods stores where fabric and sewing items were sold.  Their purpose was multi.  They could be turned into pillow-covers, sewn into quilts and about anything else someone with needle and thread had in mind.  Another common use for them was to stretch into wood frames and use as draft screens for open fireplaces when there was no fire in them.  This particular image is one I'd never seen before.  The coloring of the inks used in printing it are brilliant.  The is faint stamping around the bottom edge with the name of the company that produced it, along with a 1902 date on it.  I'll have it suitably framed and find wall space.  Also shown is another one that is more commonly seen as a fire-screen and sometimes as a pillow cover.  Interesting stuff.

Terry

Tapestry 2 ladies in early auto.jpg

Pillow.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 1

One of the coolest pieces for the museum. Really difficult to find mopar based flanges, other than the orange/blue one commonly seen. Of course I wish it was in better condition, but rare is rare. I've been told of 1 other that exists. I figure another 2-3 may be out there besides that. Anyone with pre 62 mopar stuff, I'm always interested. 

3A014896-5C9D-48D1-80CD-EA4AE5F5D45F.jpeg

• Like 3

My interest in coach builders tags had gone on for over 5 decades, here are a few I have mounted for display. I am still seeking ones I do not have yet or to trade duplicates for same. Most were enamel and made by two companies in the USA ( at least the coach builders who were located in the USA) the same companies also made the enameled badges/emblems that cars used on their radiator shells. It all is part of my research on the coach building companies from horse drawn to horseless carriage era. .

IMG_2312.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/1/2022 at 2:11 PM, Walt G said:

My interest in coach builders tags had gone on for over 5 decades, here are a few I have mounted for display. I am still seeking ones I do not have yet or to trade duplicates for same. Most were enamel and made by two companies in the USA ( at least the coach builders who were located in the USA) the same companies also made the enameled badges/emblems that cars used on their radiator shells. It all is part of my research on the coach building companies from horse drawn to horseless carriage era. .

IMG_2312.jpg

Walt, have you been looking at the "Signature auctions"?  

https://www.proxibid.com/Check-the-Oil-Promotions/The-Signature-Automobilia-Collection-Auction-4/event-catalog/213485

There has been several in this series disposing of a large collection of interesting early items.  There are quire a few body builder tags, and other artifacts, many from overseas that are quite interesting.  Lots of mascots, etc.  Some items are going ver high but there are some bargains as well.  I've added a few things to my collection(s) and am pleased.  There are a couple of auctions remaining before the collection is fully disbursed so at the very least you can have some fun watching and perhaps capture a few images for your own reference data base.   Terry

• Like 1

Thanks Terry, I have looked at their auctions before, some really great stuff but if you add the 18% buyers premium, shipping, and tax to the hammer price it just gets to be unrealistic for me $ wise. Unfortunately for me and possibly other buyers that seems to be the way things are now. It is the extra$ after the fact that don't make it a sale for me.

Walt

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 12:11 PM, Walt G said:

My interest in coach builders tags had gone on for over 5 decades, here are a few I have mounted for display. I am still seeking ones I do not have yet or to trade duplicates for same. Most were enamel and made by two companies in the USA ( at least the coach builders who were located in the USA) the same companies also made the enameled badges/emblems that cars used on their radiator shells. It all is part of my research on the coach building companies from horse drawn to horseless carriage era. 

I don't see a Karmann emblem, which should be an easy find, as VW Beetle convertibles used them into the 1970's.

Craig

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

I don't see a Karmann emblem, which should be an easy find, as VW Beetle convertibles used them into the 1970's.

Craig

I'm sure there are emblem collectors who have them.  From that age, they should be fairly common I'd think.  The emblems in the auction and in Walt's collection are much earlier.   I just did a google search for the Karmann emblems and came up with quite a few of various styles. 

Terry

On 2/28/2022 at 5:06 PM, Mike McCandless said:

One of the coolest pieces for the museum. Really difficult to find mopar based flanges, other than the orange/blue one commonly seen. Of course I wish it was in better condition, but rare is rare. I've been told of 1 other that exists. I figure another 2-3 may be out there besides that. Anyone with pre 62 mopar stuff, I'm always interested. 

3A014896-5C9D-48D1-80CD-EA4AE5F5D45F.jpeg

Never seen another one of these flange Dodge service signs.  Somethings rarity has to outweigh condition. It would be a shame to try and restore this.  Terry

• Like 2

On 2/26/2022 at 9:39 PM, Terry Bond said:

Here is an interesting item that came from an antique dealer I'd bought from years ago.  When I saw photos of it I got really excited-and when it arrived, even more excited!  It is in almost new unused condition.   It's a "tapestry" by description, but is just a piece of linen with an early motoring scene printed on it.  These were available in dry-goods stores where fabric and sewing items were sold.  Their purpose was multi.  They could be turned into pillow-covers, sewn into quilts and about anything else someone with needle and thread had in mind.  Another common use for them was to stretch into wood frames and use as draft screens for open fireplaces when there was no fire in them.  This particular image is one I'd never seen before.  The coloring of the inks used in printing it are brilliant.  The is faint stamping around the bottom edge with the name of the company that produced it, along with a 1902 date on it.  I'll have it suitably framed and find wall space.  Also shown is another one that is more commonly seen as a fire-screen and sometimes as a pillow cover.  Interesting stuff.

Terry

Tapestry 2 ladies in early auto.jpg

Pillow.jpg

Adding another tapestry from my collection - this one is more typically a "tapestry" as it is actually woven and almost like a small carpet.  I need to get this one re-framed.

Terry

Tapestsry woven and framed.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another interesting wall hanger -

Nice print-two pretty ladies driving an automobile.  I actually had the post card version of this wonderful print for many years. 

I found the print on-line, advertised by a mid-western art gallery.

Photos are of the print and also the matching postcard.

The print is signed by Hamilton Kennedy and is dated 1911.  It measures 30" X 26."

Hamilton King (1871–1941)[2] was a prominent illustrator who worked in the late 1800s and early 1900s. King illustrated the "Coca-Cola girls" for calendars and serving trays from 1910 to 1913. King became well known for his "Hamilton King Girls", working on behalf of Turkish Trophies Cigarettes.

A nice addition to my collection, even though I had to rearrange an entire wall just to fit it in.

Terry

Ladies drivlng by Hamilton King.jpg

Ladies driving by Hamilton King postcard.jpg

• Like 2

Here’s one for Terry, who was disparaging evil-bay on another thread…

A very high quality French mascot of an “Alsatian” (German Shepard) signed E. Bregeon. 

You can find quality there, but you have to hunt them down and competition can be fierce…

452A3CC5-CA7F-4FD6-8180-2440C135A12F.jpeg

• Like 2

Just rediscovered this in my collection this a.m. and thought of all you upholstery and top guys. 3/4 high and 3 inches wide. In addition to coach builders badges/emblems I have a fair amount of horse drawn carriage builders badges for a lot of obscure companies that were in business to service the local population to create and repair wheeled transportation.

Yes, my ( our) friend Ed has seen this I sent him a photo of it about a half hour ago. He liked it - sort of, maybe 😵 - well it does say Auto on it

SpringfieldBADGE.jpg