Memoribilia to view - A guide

This may best be titled Automobilia but the whole point of this which I hope all can stay with is to share what we have in our collections so that others can 1) enjoy what they see 2) know it even exists

As my good friend Terry Bond notes in his post - this is NOT a place to sell things, that has been established already by Terry and Peter, this is just for a point of information. Please do not contact the person who posted the photo and information to see if it is for sale! No for sale items here. Terry and others have shared their watch fobs with us , so what else is there?

Those of you that want to share some of the things you have , please try and give a size as it will give us all a better perspective of what. how etc. and will answer the question is it the size of a quarter or the size of a hot air balloon!  SO if you have some odd key chains with car names, screw on hubcaps, car mascots /hood ornaments, factory admittance badges , etc. maybe you can share this with all of us so we can then start out own hunt for one if it really appeals to us. You can't look for one  if you don't know it exists. Please remember - nothing for sale here and don't ask if what is posted is for sale and annoy the person who shared it with us.

The Beverol sign is 16" x 31 1/2 " . Porcelain on steel. dates from the early to mid 1930s. has a curve to the surface and is not flat. I got it on a trip to England 40 years ago. the white streak at the top righ is a reflection of light when I took the photo

sign.jpg

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Great signs Walt.  The sign with the ladies head on it is fabulous.  Do you know what country it's from?   I also have a few British souvenirs from our time in Scotland.  Have an assortment of Mobiloil Gargoyle signs, some Shell and Pratts Motor Spirit, BP Motor Spirit and a few other misc signs in both tin and porcelain.  One of my favorites is this one in lithographed tin.  It came from the inside of the garage door of an old garage in Scotland.

Terry

Exide battery sign.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Wow, those are fantastic!  I remember a few years ago at Hershey I saw a stained glass Oldsmobile piece that was taken from a door or window of an early dealership.  It had the Olds logo on it done in stained glass.  It was fairly small but quite impressive.  I did not buy it - price was a factor, but am certain it found a good home somewhere (hopefully Steve ended up with it).  I wish I'd have taken a photograph. 

35 minutes ago, MetroPetro said:

Please be careful obtaining items for your collections. If in doubt please contact me or someone else to discuss authenticity.

You're absolutely right about this too.  Not everyone can be an expert in everything, and with fake and repro stuff being so prevalent in the market these days, hopefully this forum will help other collectors avoid getting stung on a mis-represented item.   Maybe we should start a separate thread here on fakes and reproductions? 

Terry

I have written a couple of threads regarding the reproduction radiator emblem problems with eBay and received some mixed results. One “collector” thought I was trying to dissuade people from bidding so I could get them for less! After that I was pretty quiet for some time... oh well, I have been here a long time and if anyone doesn’t want my input they are free to ignore me.

I tried to take a few more interesting pictures to share as I usually post the same ones... how many people have seen what is believed to be a supervisor employee pin from Wills StClair? Shown here with one of the more artistic mascots from the era: 

FE382342-BD6E-47D0-B3D8-AA318033C538.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMoneyPit said:

I have written a couple of threads regarding the reproduction radiator emblem problems with eBay and received some mixed results. One “collector” thought I was trying to dissuade people from bidding so I could get them for less! After that I was pretty quiet for some time... oh well, I have been here a long time and if anyone doesn’t want my input they are free to ignore me.

I tried to take a few more interesting pictures to share as I usually post the same ones... how many people have seen what is believed to be a supervisor employee pin from Wills StClair? Shown here with one of the more artistic mascots from the era: 

FE382342-BD6E-47D0-B3D8-AA318033C538.jpeg

Yes - Wills St. Clair- my all-time favorite car!!!  I had an uncle who worked there and sewed tops and tonneau covers for them.  Sure wish I had one, but closest I ever came was a close up look at one in a private collection here in Va years ago.  Others, in museums, I've drooled all over.  That mascot is superb - the way to determine if original (and based on the quality and level of detail it sure is) - check for markings on the base "I.F. Copyright 1923". "I.F." stands for Irving Florman.  The employee badge is great too.  Fantastic stuff. 

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMoneyPit said:

Here’s a picture of a ladies fan from Buffalo:

30BE9903-0BCC-4376-A0F6-A919AFAF037B.jpeg

I'm going to start a separate thread on fans.  It's a great topic and I've collected (accumulated) them for a long time.  I think to avoid getting some great topics buried in just one long discussion, it's worthwhile separating them.  Wow, I really enjoy looking at all this stuff.

Terry

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, alsancle said:

3740B57E-BF08-4CBE-8458-004D711133D7.jpeg

Never seen the complete set before.  Perfect for a Packard fan.

All I've ever seen is he bulb kit.  What year is this from?

Terry

30 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

That mascot is superb - the way to determine if original (and based on the quality and level of detail it sure is) - check for markings on the base "I.F. Copyright 1923". "I.F." stands for Irving Florman.

Yes she is marked, and came from Bill Williams many Hershey’s ago. I once had a friend with a Roadster who continually asked me to sell him the badge but he didn’t want to pay me a reasonable price. I had three times more into it than his best offer.

3 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Never seen the complete set before.  Perfect for a Packard fan.

All I've ever seen is he bulb kit.  What year is this from?

Terry

Sorry,  no idea on actual date but my dad seems to think it is prewar.

5 hours ago, TheMoneyPit said:

And two clocks (it took me years to figure out the radiator shaped one was Long Radiator division of Borg-Warner...)

2FDBE47A-5B63-4715-9A2C-E4890E840615.jpeg

Love the Long clutch pin......👍👍👍

30 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Yup, it’s pre war, and rare. More rare than you would think. Use to be ridiculously expensive. Sold my perfect one 20 years ago for 3500. I still smile every time I think about it. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Love the Long clutch pin......👍👍👍

it came from eBay for a whopping $4.99 and something close to $1.50 shipping!

There wasn’t a lot of interest in it as only some 1932 Flight of the Pierce Arrow nuts might know about Long Radiator... I only bought it to provide the clock some identity.

Edited by TheMoneyPit (see edit history)

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Yes definitely pre WWII , think the mid 1930s. I have seen photos in Packard literature, will look and put a date on it for you.

Walt

To add a few: The medallion is for the  Grand Concours ' D Elegance Automobile held at Biarritz in September 1931 measures 1 3/4 x 3 3/4 inches and were given to participants. were made by Fraisse Bemey in Paris. Silver plated bronze.

the Franklin matchbook says cafeteria on the top edge ( which is hard to see) it was given to me by Leo Gerst of Syracuse , NY who was the Chief Draftsman at the Franklin factory for the final decade that they were in existence. ( oh the stories that he could tell!!!! and did tell to me)

Franklin matchbook.jpg

salon medallion.jpg

• Like 2

My last contribution for today - come on people , make us happy, show us some of your great car stuff!!!!

Keyfobs: Harrisburg Buick Co. and Packard is listed on the reverse side that is was given out by Stanford Brothers of Lincoln Park, Michigan.

AAA sign for Chestnut Street in Harrisburg, Pa. was found in an antique mall a mile or so south of the flea market during Hershey last year.

the 1924 Blue Book Hotel sign was used for decades to catch grease and oil dripping off the bottom of a car ( to keep the floor clean) being worked on in a service station in

either northern Westchester or southern Dutchess County in N.Y. by a friend who was the one that introduced me to pre war classic cars in the late 1960s when I was a young lad ( and yes I am now an old lad)

WG

1924BLUEBOOKSIGN.jpg

KEYFOBS.jpg

AAAchestnutstreetsign.jpg

• Like 1

Now for something different!

Here is an incredibly well made keychain for an early Maxwell which is the reason for carrying a jewelers loupe with you to fleas... ITS A GREAT FAKE! But the makers mark is so well done and illegible that is is impossible to see without magnifying it. Made by the LA Rubber Stamping company, and marked as such, but it totally fooled myself and several people who have seen it! I’m embarrassed that I was taken by it, so I’m tossing it out as a “buyer beware” moment.

6621C780-43F0-4DD3-9F07-3CDD51CEE60C.jpeg

F60D00D5-8D51-4419-924E-8B8E0FCBB798.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Though not as rare as most of what's being posted already here's a few bits of Mopar items.  The Firestone key fob is from the dealership that is now our shop, a local fellow from the community donated it to the collection.   

20200529_160515.jpg

20200529_160533.jpg

20200529_160602.jpg

20200529_160811.jpg

• Like 1

One of my favorite things in my collection.....FDR’s lap robe used in official parades, which was used by FDR, Elenor, Hoover, and a handful of other famous people. One photo is from Antiques Roadshow.

AF674A21-B21A-4630-99AA-68C3A73F8587.jpeg

8ACD5534-2660-4681-9CFD-F36988655100.jpeg

5E0CB878-446E-423E-A67D-C319C8519964.jpeg

2E37D0B8-1189-48DE-97A1-D190486C37CD.jpeg

C77D783C-A9CF-47BD-BBB4-04333240D2B7.jpeg

BBB6DAE1-2744-4277-A58D-FBAC09C53894.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, edinmass said:

One of my favorite things in my collection.....FDR’s lap robe used in official parades, which was used by FDR, Elenor, Hoover, and a handful of other famous people. One photo is from Antiques Roadshow.

I'm not even American but that's just down right cool!  That is definitely a true piece of history.

Don  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Walt G said:

1933 Chicago World's Fair license plate from Illinois and souvenir frame from the same era.

1933WolrdsFairlicenseandtopper.jpg

That's fantastic Walt.  Would appeal to anyone who collects Worlds Fair stuff as well as automobilia collectors.  Interesting tail lamps is a whole different topic and deserves its own thread.  I've got a few I can post later, but none as fancy as yours.

Terry