Memoribilia to view - A guide

On 5/28/2020 at 3:57 PM, Terry Bond said:

I'm going to start a separate thread on fans.  It's a great topic and I've collected (accumulated) them for a long time.  I think to avoid getting some great topics buried in just one long discussion, it's worthwhile separating them.  Wow, I really enjoy looking at all this stuff.

Terry

Be sure to check the fans I posted.  I'll be adding a few more later.

Terry

On 5/27/2020 at 7:53 PM, Terry Bond said:

Great signs Walt.  The sign with the ladies head on it is fabulous.  Do you know what country it's from?

Hi Terry, sorry for the delay in answering  you question. The Beverol sign with the ladies head is from Belgium. The oil plant is NW of Amsterdam.

I got this sign perhaps 35+ years ago from a friend in West Sussex , England. He had it hanging on the wall of his garage behind his 1929 Lincoln phaeton and 1931 Chrysler Imperial close coupled sedan and I saw it and loved it . We did a trade and I wrapped it up well and brought it on board the airplane when I returned home and declared it "carry on luggage".

Several years earlier I bought a great wood toy double deck bus made in the 1920s and it was to fragile to be stored in the hold of the plane so I let it sit on my lap for the 8+ hour journey home. It is fairly large. I will post a photo of that here soon .

My middle initial is E for Edward but many friends believe it stands for eccentric. 🥺 who me?  Really?

WG

• Like 1

Always thought the British stuff was great.  I've enjoyed these for a long time.  Found the first one in the famous Portabello Road antique market in London and carefully carried it home in my lap on the train back to Scotland.  Bought the second one about a year ago from a North Carolina antiques dealer who did a lot of imported container loads.  It was an unexpected piece stuffed into a bulk antiques purchase.  There is one more version of this mirror that I'd like to find but so far no luck locating a good one. 

Terry

SHELL advertising Mirror type 1.jpg

SHELL advertising Moirror type 2 red can.jpg

Haartz fabrics are still made and located in Mass. Still in the same family ownership too!  Eric Haartz has been a close friend of mine for many years  and helped me with information in a story I did for Hemmings Classic car on interior and top fabrics for pre war cars a short time ago, and the Editors at Hemmings did a tour of his factory and interviewed him. A genuine and down to earth GREAT GUY and loves pre war cars - we both own a 7th series 1930 Packard with the same body style/type. If you have restored a convertible, phaeton, roadster, touring then  most likely your top fabric was made by his company.

The Packard sign is porcelain over steel ( the lighter white area at the edge  Is a repaint as it had rust and chipping so i did not want that to get worse) is about 4 feet tall.

The turn signal was made in Columbus ,Ohio and is NOS. I found a pile of these about a 10 minute walk from my house about 5 years ago and bought all of them and then 10 months later brought them to Hershey to sell off the ones I didn't need ( did I really need to keep over 100 of them?) They would mount on an open or enclosed body style in the 1923-28 era , still had the decal on them noting the dealer when they were new who sold them in my village.

The pressed steel toy roadster is 15 inches long, made by Converse in Mass. has wood lamps on it ( company made wood toys before steel ones) and has a clock work motor with a key to wind it up. All original , unrestored dating from about 1908-1910 era.

PackardSIGN.jpg

photo auto signal1921.jpg

autosiglabel003.jpg

tintoycar ca1910.jpg

tintoycar ca1910.jpg REAR.jpg

Edited by Walt G
clarify information (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Ed said " the rare and obscure which makes the hobby so interesting" VERY TRUE which is why those of you who venture to want to see something totally different are reading this now!

Here are some license plate "toppers" that all relate to long island , N.Y. and all to the area about 35-40 miles east of NY City.

The Mineola Rink pair of toppers note a roller skating rink that was in Mineola, NY the county seat HQ for Nassau County. it was located on the border of Garden City and Mineola , this was very popular pre WWII era and a place to take a date or meet people. People used to roller skate for recreation before jogging, skate boards, video games etc.

The Roosevelt Field toppers were for the airport that was in place where a shopping mall has now existed for the past 50+ years. Charles Lindbergh took off from Roosevelt Field to fly east in 1927 to visit Europe. The longer/wider plate is pre WWII and there was an aviation school at the airport as noted ( my father learned to fly there) the other one is post war as noted by the style of airplane. Roosevelt Field was in Garden City, NY.

The Freeport Stadium plate notes the postwar stock car track that was a favorite activity up into the 1960s on the oval track there, that was demolished several decades ago. Freeport ,NY is on the south shore of long Island.

longIslandTOPPERS.jpg

Edited by Walt G
added a word,and spell check (see edit history)
  • Like 1

A factory Springfield Rolls Royce key tag. The chassis from this tag is still in existence, and is now a woody wagon.

CD3590D4-E5BA-4199-8DCA-CA197D477B17.png

• Like 3

On 5/30/2020 at 2:34 PM, Walt G said:

The Packard sign is porcelain over steel ( the lighter white area at the edge  Is a repaint as it had rust and chipping so i did not want that to get worse) is about 4 feet tall.

The turn signal was made in Columbus ,Ohio and is NOS. I found a pile of these about a 10 minute walk from my house about 5 years ago and bought all of them and then 10 months later brought them to Hershey to sell off the ones I didn't need ( did I really need to keep over 100 of them?) They would mount on an open or enclosed body style in the 1923-28 era , still had the decal on them noting the dealer when they were new who sold them in my village.

The pressed steel toy roadster is 15 inches long, made by Converse in Mass. has wood lamps on it ( company made wood toys before steel ones) and has a clock work motor with a key to wind it up. All original , unrestored dating from about 1908-1910 era.

PackardSIGN.jpg

photo auto signal1921.jpg

autosiglabel003.jpg

tintoycar ca1910.jpg

tintoycar ca1910.jpg REAR.jpg

Walt, I have a couple of your turn signals displayed in my old store. They are great.  I need to make a display like you had. Do you still have that and if so, can you send me a few photos?  I really like those Converse toy cars. They made several different styles. I've been trying to buy a touring car version for some time now, but the price isn't right (yet).

Terry

• 1 month later...

I have long heard a rumour that the Freeport Rec center is on the location of the old track. There are several scale model shows held there every year, which I attend periodically. 

I have extensive collections of automotive related stuff but I focus mainly on 1/64 diecast which I've collected non stop since I was 2 years old, having collected over 10,000 unique pieces. My other main collection... actually my primary collection but less exists to choose from...is trading cards. The earliest automotive trading cards date to 1911 but my oldest is from 1920. I also collect car comics and coins/medals/tokens/currency and stamps and post cards with cars on them. Plus plastic models, but I'm not very good at anything other than buying them, which I did so much I had to rent a storage unit to hold them.

All of my collections are photo documented or in the process of same on my website. I could gladly share some photos but collectibles made of cars aren't as impressive as actual ephemera as shown here. 

Billy, the trading cards are great. I have several and always look for them at every opportunity. I have a special fondness for the early stuff like the Turkey Reds. Let's see some of your cards. Maybe start a separate posting for just cards. Lots of people collect them. It's a topic we certainly should be looking at here. I'll post photos of a few of mine and have a good friend here who also collects them.  

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 8:07 PM, Terry Bond said:

I really like those Converse toy cars. They made several different styles. I've been trying to buy a touring car version for some time now, but the price isn't right (yet).

Terry

I love that roadster Converse, is it a copy of a specific car?  Converse made a Pierce Arrow touring, I was able to snag one a number of years ago and have never regretted paying the price for it, which was probably high at the time...…..this picture really shows the warts, but it looks nice on display.....

Converse Pierce side.jpg

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This decanter is English, got it there 40 years ago, is in the shape of a tire and the tread is along the edge. Face says "When tyred Scotch"  The 'tyred' spelling is the British way they spell tire over here. Stands approximately 10 inches tall by 7 1/2 inches wide at the center of the tyre/tire.

scotchtyredcontainer.jpg

• Like 4

The banner is for the Freeport stock car races/stadium on the south shore of long island in Nassau County.  It was a popular place to go see the stock cars race back in the 1950s.

If you did when you got home you needed a shower to get rid of all the black dust/powder that was flying in the air from the tires on the race cars wearing while racing. We never thought that we were breathing all that in thought.

freeportbanner.thumb.jpg.b492eb0ee1f18313b731178a3f4ed9e5.jpg

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 2

This rendering is an original opaque water color portrait by automotive artist Roland Stickney who did some of the finest automotive artwork for sales catalogs and portfolios in the mid to late 1920s - early 1930s.

It is approximately 2 feet wide and the image was used by Lincoln for their custom body sales catalog , also possibly in the Custom body salon souvenir programs of the same year

Stickneyrendering.jpg

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The Brooklands Race Track in Surrey , England still exists and is tended to by the Brooklands Society. When the track was still active in the pre WWII era a board game was issued and sold to youngsters so that they could pretend to be race car drivers using their imaginations. I have only played this once , many decades ago with a friend - that friend was Bugatti race car guy Rene Dreyfus.

Brooklands game.jpg

• Like 3

Toy gas pumps from the 1920s-30s, glass reflector, brass dog mascot, English car badge, and two American cast iron toy cars.

that's it for today folks, just thought this thread needed some activity.😮

Displaycabinettoygaspumps.jpg

• Like 2

When I first started roller skating this was on the entrance of the rink in Colfax Iowa. When they finally closed I had my father go to the auction and buy the sign. 18 by 30. Plastic light up sign. Switching to LED’s helps keep the heat down

4EB2BFCF-46D6-4FE1-BA86-B205AC5972B9.jpeg

Edited by Robert G. Smits
Soze (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My uncle ran a one man auto repair shop on a town of 900. This sign was on the wall when he bought the shop after WW II. I spent every Saturday afternoon in his shop and that started my interest in anything mechanical.  I have been told that it was a Standard Oil product   15 by 28 inches. Heavy porcelain on a heavy steel sigh

C689129B-06F6-4B9D-A151-5C37360CA4D3.jpeg

Someone found a carton of 10 or 12 of these and sold them in 15 minutes at Hershey in the early 80’s or so the story goes. NOS and still in their factory wrapping. Not a bad buy for $200

18 by 40 inches self framed tin

6F8D99CF-E4D4-4E59-A438-6A9A85FC0998.jpeg

• Like 3

On 7/27/2020 at 3:59 PM, Walt G said:

This decanter is English, got it there 40 years ago, is in the shape of a tire and the tread is along the edge. Face says "When tyred Scotch"  The 'tyred' spelling is the British way they spell tire over here. Stands approximately 10 inches tall by 7 1/2 inches wide at the center of the tyre/tire.

scotchtyredcontainer.jpg

Wow Walt, I've been looking for one of those bottles for years! From my time living in Scotland and being a Scotch enthusiast, I've always thought having one of these filled with my favorite single malt would be the perfect way to best enjoy collecting Scotch and Automobilia.  

Terry

5 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Walt G;  are you I and Terry the only people interested in Memoribilia?

No, there are still a bunch of us out there............

Yes indeed, there are some regulars here, and I know lots of lookers that I'm trying to get hooked, but they don't really spend much time on a computer or would rather just look.

Terry

I have been busy turning a carousel panel into something Automobillia related, but I don’t think it’s quite what you meant...

Of course the book “The Traveling Bears in the East and West” Where this center image was on its cover does fall into the category...

00206CC2-B87F-4AF9-B49B-16A7FBCFA7BB.jpeg

01CA6DF3-7E31-48B5-89B4-66F1C397B290.jpeg

E4A6F320-60A8-4CC5-80F4-3D6D8A0254DC.jpeg

• Like 1