Memoribilia to view - A guide

I’m going to stretch the automobilia theme by saying we used to use film to photograph our antique cars. Acquired these from Australia in the early 90’s. Rarely seen in the US. Agfa “Girl” and Agfa “Boy”. SS Porcelain on heavy steel. 28 by 48 in. Because of shipping expense I shipped them by marine freight. They were lost for 6 months and then one day I got a call to pick them up at a freight terminal in Kansas City  

By the way how do you rotate a photo on this forum. Every once in a while this happens to me. Thanks 

31F891C2-3A3E-4290-85A4-5BB409EFE369.jpeg

72CF63B0-DABD-4A28-BF17-2C395A063E02.jpeg

2 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Mark what are your plans for the carousel panel?

We bought it 28 years ago and have moved it with us four times - it went from barn to barn but without a vision it never got done. We came close to donating it to a charity last summer, a carousel we helped years ago by letting them copy the castings on the rounding board itself, but just visiting that carousel now it was finished got my wife interested in it again and started my working on it... we are going to mount it in our home and keep it with a horse we also bought at that sale. 

Terry was hit up for a car print picture to reproduce but I always liked the bears image and decided to just go with it...

Edited by Mark Wetherbee (see edit history)

Mark, that's great!

That image is perfect and has a great story behind it too. 

Teddy bears were first born in 1902. After a famous hunting trip in which President Theodore “Teddy” Roosevelt refused to shoot a defenseless bear, Washington Post political cartoonist Clifford Berryman drew a cute and lovable bear and the “teddy bear" became an instant icon. The first teddy bear was made by toymaker Morris Michtom and his company, the Ideal Toy Company.  They actually received permission from President Roosevelt to call the toy "Teddy's bear."

The Roosevelt Bears, Their Travels and Adventures was written by Seymour Eaton. It first appeared as a serialized story in newspapers in 1905. In 1906, the story was published in book form.

Illustrated in color and black-and-white by V. Floyd Campbell, the tale follows two bears, Teddy-B and Teddy-G, as they leave their western home and take a train east to see the sights. As their journey continues, the two bears become more and more famous ― newspapers write about them, crowds wait to see them, and eager citizens follow their exploits.

The image appeared in many forms, including this fabulous ceramic pitcher, with several scenes from the book, including the one with the bears and an automobile.  This pitcher belongs in any serious collection of early automobilia.

Roosevelt Bears Pottery pitcher by Buffalo Pottery.jpg

• Like 2

Years ago I gave that larger illustrated book to my mother for Christmas since the one I have had the better cover graphics. Many Of these books have been cut up for the artwork and I actually bought a print from a book to get the sharpest image possible to blow up in the vinyl print used for the panel. Search eBay for the Roosevelt bears brings up many of them.

I have been looking for one of those pitchers for many years, it was one thing that my mother always wanted too... I believe there’s a small cream pitcher As well as the larger water pitcher.

Terry thanks for the history lesson. I have probably purchased fifty of these over the years for kid and grandkids and was never aware of the back story. The breath of knowledge on this forum amazes me

• 2 weeks later...

Bought this sign at Hershey about 12 years ago from a couple from Michigan. They were set up in the back chocolate field  with a white small tent and always had flowers out front and great items. They were there for years but not in the last few.  Size of this sign is 12 by 32 double sided and is a White coated hard pressed type of fiberboard.  Not many could have survived.

20200812_183845.jpg

Edited by Reicholzheimer (see edit history)

Cool stuff!  That Fry pump is fantastic!  I had an uncle who ran a Cities Service station in a small town in Arkansas years ago.  I can remember sitting NOS gas globes up on an embankment and shooting at them with a BB gun!  My gosh-if only we'd have known.

Terry

I was a senior in High School in 1967.  I bought a 1958 Chev 2 door Hardtop 348 Tri-power with a bad transmission for $50. I pulled the engine for a Hot Rod  I was building and junked the car.  That's a terrible memory!  The green Bennett 541 pump is the same style we had at my father's station.  The fry was restored in 1980 by someone in Williamsport Pa and sat in his  building  until 2016. Old restoration but looks good at night lit up. Found at Hershey Orange Field.  My favorites to collect are the pumps  just don't have enough space.

If someone wants one of the holy grails of ceramic/automobile juncture, here it is.  I’ve always wanted a piece of Tourist pattern, just too expensive to me for something that breaks....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roseville-TOURIST-Pattern-Jardinere-and-Pedestal/323754385033?hash=item4b6143de89:g:76wAAOSw1vxcS4Rk   

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a few pieces that I picked up a couple of months ago from an auction at a closed Volvo dealership - fresh from many years of storage and in as found condition - now I just have to decide how to clean them up for display.  Sadly after talking with the auction people I learned that there had been three Tatras that had been sold by the family prior to the sale and they have all been sent to Europe so I am told.

DSC_0829.JPG

This is one last piece from the same dealership, they later also sold Datsun and Suzuki cars and trucks.  I need a bit of help on this piece as to what exactly it is.  I actually have two of them and they are tapered at the top with a stick across the top sewn in.  There are not any grommets or any other way to hang it and it is slight curved.  It is made out of vinyl but the back is just the vinyl backing not what you would expect from a fender cover.  As I'm typing I'm almost thinking seat cover for the techs???  

DSC_0867.JPG

What are the measurements on that sign Robert?  I have one just like it that I removed from the wall of a garage years ago.

Terry

American Hammered began in 1912 and was the original OE piston ring supplier to many early car companies. The hammered process provided tension to the ring resulting in better sealing and longer engine life. By 1918 they were making 250,000 rings per month. They are still active in the auto parts business out of Troy Mich

AB9E5961-8FCA-4DF3-BFA8-23CF4B88CA09.jpeg

19 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Great signs I had never seen before.  Was Chryco the same as Mopar in the states?

Yes it was - they used the same colors (or colours) but used Chryco and later AutoPar and finally reality set in and it's just all Mopar now 

• 1 month later...

OK time to get into a VANE mode. weather vane of course. This was 2 stories up on the top of a gas station in Mineola , N.Y. and when my friends who ran the station were leaving because the word is the place would be torn down ( it was built ca. 1934). I stopped by and wondered why no one had taken down the weather vane that was there since the building was new - my answer was that they didn't like height ( neither did I ) so it would stay and become part of the debris heap. I went home and loaded a wood construction ladder into my 41 Packard woody wagon and with my Dad along went back and climbed up and cut it down with a hack saw ( it was November, really cold and by the time I got there was dark) had a small flash light in my mouth to see what I was working on . Several friends stopped by and wondered who was at the top of the ladder and when told who in a loud voice said " REALLY are you nuts!"  . They never did tear the building down but it got sealed up and turned into a laundry.

The weather vane is about 36 inches wide for the length of the car which resembles a 1935-36 Chrysler product or a Reo or a ? I do not know who made the weather vane but it is very well detailed in heavy sheet metal . Today for many decades it has resided on the top of my garage. Still functioning well . I had to fabricate a new base for it to fit well on the garage here.

Weathervane.jpg

weathervane two.jpg

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Walt G said:

OK time to get into a VANE mode. weather vane of course. This was 2 stories up on the top of a gas station in Mineola , N.Y. and when my friends who ran the station were leaving because the word is the place would be torn down ( it was built ca. 1934). I stopped by and wondered why no one had taken down the weather vane that was there since the building was new - my answer was that they didn't like height ( neither did I ) so it would stay and become part of the debris heap. I went home and loaded a wood construction ladder into my 41 Packard woody wagon and with my Dad along went back and climbed up and cut it down with a hack saw ( it was November, really cold and by the time I got there was dark) had a small flash light in my mouth to see what I was working on . Several friends stopped by and wondered who was at the top of the ladder and when told who in a loud voice said " REALLY are you nuts!"  . They never did tear the building down but it got sealed up and turned into a laundry.

The weather vane is about 36 inches wide for the length of the car which resembles a 1935-36 Chrysler product or a Reo or a ? I do not know who made the weather vane but it is very well detailed in heavy sheet metal . Today for many decades it has resided on the top of my garage. Still functioning well . I had to fabricate a new base for it to fit well on the garage here.

Weathervane.jpg

weathervane two.jpg

That item is totally inapproipate for your zoning and neighborhood........it should come down immediately.....and be sold to me ...........cheap!

• Haha 1