Memoribilia to view - A guide

I usually don’t purchase road maps but Chief Pontiac caught my attention. Ninty nine pages in all including a guide to radio stations in every state. Dated 1951 and celebrating Pontiac’s 25th year. Before the turn of the last century the name Pontiac belonged to a a city,  a buggy and an Indian. In 1907 the Pontiac buggy company became the Oakland Motor Car Company and joined the newly organized General Motors Corporation in 1909. In 1910 they produced 4000 cars. In 1926 the first Pontiac was produced. Now an Orphan car they produced 469,813 units in 1950. 

F0A2BEAD-5182-4A53-8A0D-D874D8C132D8.jpeg

• Like 2

Did something a little different. Found this Dodge calendar from 1928. Managed to get each sheet separated and then had it framed for display. Going to put it in the house, as I think it's a great conversation piece. The graphics are great and I love the colors. Really cool seeing the Presidents listed on it.

C04FE447-7EE4-4376-8B02-3E1DA22894CE.jpeg

• Like 3

This billboard I pulled out of the original dealership in Lynchburg, VA. It's a consignment shop now with no AC. The extreme temperatures over the years was causing it to twist, warp and pull itself off the wall. I went in, was able to remove it from the wall and put it up at my place. It's 22' long and 12' tall. What's amazing, there are 3 other billboards under it, but no clue what they say and no safe way to remove the top layer to see. A few months later, I found this table top rotating display that featured the same dealer. The white part had lost almost all of its paint, so repainted that, cleaned the hell out of the wood base and got it to light up again. The original bulbs were soldered in so installed LED lights so we could light it up. It was motorized at one point, but I'm leaving it as is. It has 6 advertisements on it, everything from movies to appliances. They installed all the lights first and then wrapped the body, eliminating your ability to get access to the bulbs. Not a great design. We supplied power but couldn't get any of the old bulbs to work. Had to remove a row of paper, which is incredibly thin and falling apart in order to get some LED's in there. Love how it came out and love that the pieces are now together. 

633FF4E6-0E62-46EE-B150-A5DB59BC51B4.jpeg

13E4F43C-94CD-4966-B217-2C14638BC949.jpeg

• Like 3

Mike, I love what you did with  your calendar and also preserving the Dodge advertising pieces.  John P Hughes knew how to advertise!.  Is this the dealership which started in Lynchburg in 1914 and later moved to Madison Heights and lost it's franchise when Chrysler filed for bankruptcy?

There is a lot of great Shell Motor Oil advertising out there  I've always found it quite attractive, particularly the earlier stuff.  I've had this little 6" "clipboard" in my collection for quite some time.  It's always been one of my favorite Shell items.   I've long been curious about the approximate age on it.  As a small clipboard my guess is the intended use was to write on for purchase of gasoline.  I won't say "credit cards" because I think it pre-dates those as we now them.  I've included a good close up showing the beautiful Shell emblem with deep ruby-red cloisonne.  I've also added a close-up showing the name of the company that made it (Robbins, Attleboro, Mass).  Any idea on date this was produced?

Thanks,

Terry

Clipboard.jpg

Clipboard view 2.jpg

Clipboard makers mark.jpg

• Like 3

Can't recall where or when - but it was some time ago I saw a similar one or two . This I believe would mount in a small stand on a license plate ( like they did with a bracket for some flags)  and possibly on a headlamp bar or radiator cap. Signified you belonged to that particular automobile club . Great item!

• Like 2

Hershey produced a few additions to my collection of automobile/motoring related buttons.  These are usually larger size as would be worn on dusters.  During the early 1900s, if you owned or drove an automobile, it was another way of "showing off."

I started picking these up years ago in a Maryland antique shop.  Couldn't find anything else so ended up with half a dozen different from one lady who sold buttons buy the jar-full.  The collection has grown considerably since then.  Here are a few interesting varieties.  I've been fortunate enough to find a few button sets still in their original boxes.

Terry

mop button.jpg

Button-spoked wheel and lady driver.jpg

Button Set Italian.jpeg

Button set.jpg

Glass button car under the glass.jpg

Glass button edwardian car under glass.jpg

Lady driver bronze finish round.jpg

Btton blue enamel and gold.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, md murray said:

The box is all hardboard but in great condition -it must have sat somewhere dry for years.

box1.png

Wow, that's a fantastic display box! 

Terry

• Like 1

Picked this up years ago because It was neat but I always figured there was little hope for it. A buddy of mine took it for about 8 months, played with it in his spare time and mailed it back to me. I have no idea how he did it and he refuses to tell me (it's dry to the touch and has not been varnished or coated) - the guy is just a magician with old tin.

noco.png

noco1.png

• Like 4

Fantastic stuff Gary. Love that horn pin!  Let's see more! As a Model T guy I can enjoy looking at that stuff all day.

Terry

Great Ford Stuff!  Next question - what years are your Model T's out in the garage?

Here are a few items from my Ford drawer/showcase.  Do you have the Ford bank that looks like a book?

Also, pics of a couple of advertising pocket mirrors, some calendars and of course, sheet music.

Terry

Ford bank 1.jpg

Ford bank 2.jpg

Ford bank 3.jpg

Ford advertising pocket mirror.jpg

Ford calendar.jpg

Ford 1913, 14.jpg

Ford 2.jpg

Flivver King.jpg

Ford Backseat.jpg

Ford March.jpg

Ford My Little Coupe.jpg

Ford Sedan.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Terry:   I do have a Ford bank like yours, mine has more wear.   In the past four years my ' fleet" has been downsized.   Sold my stock 1931 "A" pickup, 1928 roadster pickup with a 60 hp v8 that I built from pieces, 1918 T roadster with a 4 valve RAJO and a Dubats new counter weighted crank, and my 1913 T touring puzzle pile with a Ray wells body.     I still have a 1962 Impala SS convertible with 80,000 miles,  1928 "A" roadster pickup with a Riley two port OHV head, also 1926 "T" roadster with a Depaul OHV, Himco cast oil pan.   Gary

• Like 1

John, that Pines Winterfront is wonderful. I am half way through restoring one that has a Packard emblem on it and am expecting one with vertical shutters to arrive in the mail next week. I do not specifically collect Pines winter fronts! but they represent a very major part of what car owners had to contend with and thus fitted to their cars. A small display on a wall of a few ( very few) assorted styles will be a visual history of the accessory. Just need one more from the 1930s that isn't flat but is curved to meet the grille and I will be happy .  I have a 28 page booklet Pines issued in 1925 that shows/notes they also made and sold wheel locks and spare tire locks. and discusses anti-freeze and thermo cells. Cool stuff ( no pun intended).

• Like 1

Do I see a Ford letter opener among your photos?   I've got one made from celluloid in a showcase that I need to get out and take a picture of to post here.  Meantime, here are a few of the advertising letter openers in my collection(s). 

In the first photo, the one on the left with what looks like a book on it advertises the Automobile Trade Journal.  In the second photo, the unusually shaped one at the bottom advertises Neverout lamps.   Photo 3 is a group of some celluloid letter openers with automotive themed handles.  The one on top has a tremendously detailed automobile in high relief.  Celluloid is so darned delicate it's amazing these have survived so long.  Photo number 4 shows to interesting letter openers - the large bronze one is made by Judd and is part of a complete desk set including calendar, folding bookends, letter rack, and thermometer.  There is also a three pronged coat hook that goes with this set.   The last photo is a recently acquired celluloid opener that's a variation in coloring.  

Guess I've started another topic!

Terry

Letter openers - auto makes group 1.jpg

Letter Openers  misc.jpg

Letter openers - celluloid.jpg

Letter openers - Judd bronze and silver.jpg

Celluloid.jpg

• Like 2

Looking at Gary's cool pics and being a Model T guy, I'm drooling over those early Ford T era price markers.  They are "priceless."  Gotta try and find some of those to display up in my recreated early auto parts store.  Plenty of Ford accessories in some of my display cases there. 

All of this neat small stuff is what we used to find easily in boxes of old paper in antique shops and flea markets.  Getting more difficult to find it all the time.  I keep rummaging through them when I can but am finding less all the time.  I did manage to pick up this neat little 6 page catalog issued by E M. Meyrowitz in NY.  It's in fantastic mint condition and quite early, probably in the 1904-6 time frame I'm guessing.  Stuff's still out there but we have to dig deeper these days.  Finding this piece is encouraging though.

Terry

Automobile Masks and Goggles 1.jpg

Catalog - masks and goggles inside.jpg

Masks and Goggles catalog page.jpg

Masks and Goggles catalog rear cover.jpg

• Like 1