Memoribilia to view - A guide

Got this monster up. Probably the best known example of this Canadian sign, Dodge Desoto. I already had the Fargo Trucks hanger for the Chrysler Plymouth sign, was finally able to find the big sign that goes on top of it. For non neon signs, these are two of the best ones I have in my opinion. 

7C69844C-AABD-4650-B5A8-97A688968C51.jpeg

5D3F67B7-36BE-4BD1-B821-8F95244005AF.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Got this 1937 banner up. Didn't realize how big it was when I purchased it. It's 105" tall and 66" wide. Was able to steam it and get it to release a bit. What was odd, it was double sided, don't usually see that. The 105" size gives you an idea how big the signs are beside it. 

F82476A6-406C-4605-A388-E5A9A5BCC20A.jpeg

• Like 4

Typical problem  - there are a lot of "not for sale" signs around we'd all like to have.  Looks like you've got the space for them too. 

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up this Tokhiem Tank Gauge Float recently. I had seen pictures of them but never had seen one in person. My understanding is they went in large storage tanks and were used to measure changes in level of those retention tanks. 

8B0C2292-02F5-4661-974B-6726B2DAA8D3.jpeg

127C24EE-3345-4A1B-9BD3-C780818FD28A.jpeg

• Like 1

OLD BILL , British car mascot ( an original not a repro) based on the British cartoon character of the same name - after a WWI soldier. The door knobs behind it ( going slightly off topic here - sorry) have brass world globes as handles with lines engraved/cast in to show detail of the circumference. That came from  demolition work on a 1920s house about 45 years ago in Queens , NY.

OLD BILL.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Walt G said:

OLD BILL , British car mascot ( an original not a repro) based on the British cartoon character of the same name - after a WWI soldier. The door knobs behind it ( going slightly off topic here - sorry) have brass world globes as handles with lines engraved/cast in to show detail of the circumference. That came from  demolition work on a 1920s house about 45 years ago in Queens , NY.

OLD BILL.jpg

My favorite mascot also Walt!  Bruce Bairnsfather was a popular British cartoonist who created the character "Old Bill" during WWI.  Bruce's cartoons and humor were published regularly in many British publications, but especially "The Bystander" which was tremendously popular during the 1914 time frame.  "Old Bill" told stores around life in the trenches during the war.  The mascot was actually introduced later and became even more popular during WWII representing the older WWI Veteran's who remained in Britian as guards of the "home-front."  There was also a smaller companion piece designed for use on motorcycles.  It mounted on the handlebars and was most often nickel plated. It did not have the pedestal base, mounting onto the handlebar with a simple strap clamp.   I'm fortunate enough to have both varieties.  "Old Bill" is difficult to find on the original pedestal mount.  Serial numbers are stamped under the neck-tie and that's always a good way to tell originals from later reproductions. 

The door-knobs are cool too!

Terry

IMG_0134.JPG

20160515_112137.jpg

• Thanks 1

A random piece I got 2 weeks ago. SnoRunner was made by chrysler back in the day as a snowmobile type motor cycle thing. Not sure exactly how to describe it. Was a limited production piece. Believe it was probably military based as it was made to come apart pretty easy. You don't find much advertising for them and what does exist is pretty boring. Surprised to find this one, just a small crack in the plastic. I had 3 SnoRunners but sold 2 at Carlisle this past month. Kept one that I'll show at the museum as part of the oddities that Mopar did. 

2A6CC43E-3720-4A11-A110-97D1ADBC7E4A_1_201_a.jpeg

Had a small water leak in the garage which got some cardboard boxes damp.  One box had some oil cans that were put away 10 yrs ago when we moved to our present home.  I gave them a quick cleanup and here they are.  Note the Mobil B can is heavy oil for motorcycles.

C18B5A5F-C996-4B87-9BA6-6021D4229E60.jpeg

E45B3A5B-028D-49F6-9DE7-B597F493234B.jpeg

E41D54ED-3F85-4A80-A153-DC095325194B.jpeg

94E19D04-B75C-429A-9286-3F02249218D1.jpeg

C702E1EF-98CE-4F5B-BA74-E32E9ED00764.jpeg

You've got some fabulous Buick stuff.  I was watching a Buick watch fob a couple of days ago that went for silly money - a couple of guys got into a bidding war and kept trying to out bid each other.  All they did was keep raising the price! 

Here is a neat Buick piece from my collection - it's an upholstery brush.

Terry

Buick brush.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

You've got some fabulous Buick stuff.  I was watching a Buick watch fob a couple of days ago that went for silly money - a couple of guys got into a bidding war and kept trying to out bid each other.  All they did was keep raising the price! 

Terry

Buick brush.jpg

That was me that ended up with that buick fob and that French oil race car thing that I don't need....  nice brush!

2 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Terry

Buick brush.jpg

20220715_164502.jpg.b0b4d409d81cc5e57870d67bcf2be7b8.jpgin case you wanna go sideways...here's a few of my ribbons....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thebuicknut said:

That was me that ended up with that buick fob and that French oil race car thing that I don't need....  nice brush!

Glad it went to a good home. Looking at the bid history, neither one of the two guys

Involved in the bidding war got it. I chuckle when that happens.

Terry 

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

26 minutes ago, Mike McCandless said:

Bought a bunch of poster recently that were laminated. Got them all up yesterday. Fingers are a bit sore from push pins, but they look pretty good up there. 

46190D30-6039-4719-8B94-18FD330DB96D.jpeg

Nice...I see you got the patch sketches...I bought all the buick ones he had!

Foreign yes, but not too foreign - the British stuff is great.  Love this Mobiloil sign.  Fits well into my garage since we have a 1935 Morris. Nice tin litho.  I removed it from the wall of an old garage in Scotland.  It was free!

Terry

IMG_1697.JPG

• Like 1

Interesting to see the Long Island Glidden Tour license plate, some guy from western long island who lives in the Village of Floral Park did that artwork and was on the committee that organized that tour. He is still around and is currently typing this response for the forums and is sitting here in wonder thinking how long ago that was that the art work was done................😇

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Moving on to wall-hangers, I have a lot of early motoring related lithographs that are unframed.  Most difficult have been the oval-shaped images that depict ladies driving early automobiles.  I've used my phone to aid in the hunt for the right frame for them.  That way I can carry an image and measurements with me while scrounging antique shops and flea markets.  

It takes darned good luck to find the right size and type of frame, and in both these cases, a couple of years of searching.  These are two of my favorites.  The first one was only recently discovered in am antique mall on the way home from the AACA meet in Moline.  The print is titled "The Fair Motorist" by James Arthur and has a 1906 copyright date on it.  The print was a perfect fit into the existing frame and mat.  

The second one is a larger print entitled "The Lady Motorist" and is dated 1908.  The frame was found in a Pennsylvania antique mall on the way home from an AACA event. 

Both frames were less than $50 each and included original glass.

Terry

Print The Motoring Girl, copyright 1903 Framed.jpg

20191210_221156-2.jpg

• Like 1

Finally came across the companion to my Esso “Tony” lithograph That I have posted before.   42 by 84 on heavy oil cloth. I suspect it was hung inside considering it’s condition. Purchased 20 years ago at the “Indy Add Show”

E59D8D1A-0536-40C3-9C47-F490B2751789.jpeg

Neat paper advertising for “The Big Mercury For 1956”. 42 by 14 and never folded. Did this go in a frame for showroom use?  Sorry for the reflection but I’m not taking it out of the plastic until I frame it. 

A984BD00-B93E-4AF7-AF51-1EFB793542F3.jpeg

Edited by Robert G. Smits
As edition (see edit history)