Memoribilia to view - A guide

Wife and I took out an old vehicle out to exercise the other day and stopped at a huge antique store in New Oxford PA and I found these never used vintage Ford work gloves. One right and two lefts. Not a Ford guy but couldn't pass them up. Unless my brother wants them (Ford guy) probably take them to Fall Carlisle where we vend.

IMG_1048.JPG

Allen-Morrison company founded in 1919 and dissolved in 1990,  The company had contracts to produce signs for many large national firms.  As near as I can tell they did not produce porcelain

18 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

You ever done any research on the company that made it? 

signs and did not manufacture reproduction signs like Stout sign company of St Louis.

Nice find Ron.  Those shops in New Oxford have been good over the years.  Of course there were some there that have now closed, but what remains still draws me to them when I'm in the area. Perhaps my best discovery ever in one of the small shops there was this original advertising poster for the Hollier Eight automobile.  It was on the back of a bathroom door, were it has been since the building was an old auto parts store.  There was some other paperwork in that shop also - order blanks and info for the car.  Seems Hollier was one of those short-lived companies that made more money selling franchise dealerships and taking orders for cars than they did selling them.

Terry

Hollier eight poster.jpg

2 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Allen-Morrison company founded in 1919 and dissolved in 1990,  The company had contracts to produce signs for many large national firms.  As near as I can tell they did not produce porcelain

signs and did not manufacture reproduction signs like Stout sign company of St Louis.

Just wondered since Lynchburg isn't that far from home.  I'll have a closer look at some of mine and see if there might be one hanging on my wall.

Terry

14 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Nice find Ron.  Those shops in New Oxford have been good over the years.  

For those coming in town for Carlisle or Hershey check out https://zelmasemporium.com/ . Two floors 33,000 sf I believe and they have a few automotive related stands. Saw several interchange manuals, fair amount of multi vehicle manuals ($5 to $12) even International Harvester, Divo, etc. 

On 9/3/2023 at 7:52 AM, Ron Green said:

For those coming in town for Carlisle or Hershey check out https://zelmasemporium.com/ . Two floors 33,000 sf I believe and they have a few automotive related stands. Saw several interchange manuals, fair amount of multi vehicle manuals ($5 to $12) even International Harvester, Divo, etc. 

It's always been one of my favorite stops.  Found some nice things there over the years.

Terry

Cities Service Company was established in 1910 as a public utility company in Bartlesville, OK.  Five years later the company discovered the 34 Square mile El Dorado oilfield and the rest is history.  In 1930 they drilled a well beneath the state capital in Oklahoma City and struck a geyser at 6500 feet that erupted skyward for 11 days and became a international sensation.  The well produced 20,000 barrels of oil a day and 200 million cubic feet of natural gas a day, too much for drilling technology of the day.    Efforts to tame "Wild Mary Sudik" became a public sensation.  For interesting reading of the day google "Wild Mary Sudik"

The sign is heavy embossed tin, 18 by 60

IMG_3096.jpg

• Like 1

For those of you are wondering what the Pierce archer and Packard bird mean - some years back I did a cartoon of the same subject, but in several panels  - the arrow was shot and then landed in the .........

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Wow, great stuff.  I've always had good luck funding stuff in Mich -lots of employees there in the auto industry.

Tell us more about that Buick Aircraft pin. 

Terry

Buick built the Liberty V-12 engine in 1917-18 for WWI. Which was designed by Packard .... the government gave 20 plus million to fund production...Packard Lincoln Buick Marmon built these engines...  Factory 27 was build to do Buicks share...these are numbered and very scarce Employee badges.

• Like 2

While not purely “Automobillia” these fit in with the Buick badge above…

Fisher Bodies made Jenny Aeroplanes and the Standard Steel Car company, which was primarily a railroad manufacturer who also made automobiles, made the trailers and frames for Howitzer cannons. The Emblem and employee badge are from those two companies.

I’ve often wondered how many automobile manufacturers and related manufacturing companies were involved in the war efforts of WW1.

IMG_1176.jpeg

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

I’ve often wondered how many automobile manufacturers and related manufacturing companies were involved in the war efforts of WW1.

That is another subject/topic that to the best of my knowledge has never really been thoroughly looked into . The first world war was known as The Great War until WWII happened,  before the USA got into WWI it saw a huge production by American manufacturers sending vehicles etc to Europe. Packard in NY had an export division that sent many many trucks to Europe - most arriving by train to NY from Detroit and then loaded on to cargo chips on the west side of Manhattan on the Hudson river which was a deep water port. What today is referred to as the "hi line" was a railroad line that ran near 11th avenue. The west side of Manhattan was loaded with service areas for car dealerships  ( most of the car showrooms were on 57th Street near Broadway just south of Central Park - a high traffic area for people/business etc. )

• Like 1

Type 55 Cadillac dealer photos (1917) in their original portfolio. These were supplied to prospective customers by the dealer. 12 by 15 inches. Heavy paper, matte finish. Probably an example of Letterpress printing. Somewhere in my storage area the rest of the portfolio will be found if I live long enough but don’t worry it will all end up at the AACA library. Great article in the latest magazine Steve

IMG_3161.jpeg

IMG_3160.jpeg

IMG_3154.jpeg

• Like 3

A couple of UK based Shell adds from 1952.  The first is by Mary Kessell (1914-1977)who was commissioned by Shell to paint the landscape IMG_3147(1).jpg.d8d0f43f5f771c132922562f9e449443.jpg

Arlington Row.,Bibury for their 1952 poster. Arlington Row is a architectural conservation area depicted in the inside cover of all British passports.  I could not find any information on George Ayres who painted the second poster because there are too many famous people with that name. Both posters were obtained during a visit to the National Motor Museum UK in the early 80,s

• 2 weeks later...

Nice ad. Poster? 

Here are a couple of my better Hershey purchases. From my perspective it was a great week. Counting the days until the next one.

Terry

20231009_180423.jpg

20231015_123051.jpg

20231015_123417.jpg

20231015_164923.jpg

20231015_123140.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 6

I have some loose pages that are about the size of what would have been used in a salesman's data book for the 1923 Ford. The book was produced by Scott's Business Analysis of Chicago. - have only a few pages not all and it had to be a fairy extensive piece as pages are numbered and one of the pages I have is page 46.

Interesting perspective and since the book was loose leaf the pages could be removed and copied for newspaper promotion activities;.

FORD1923datapages.jpg

• Like 3

Nice can - interesting the "guarantees" that came with products back then.  Here is a sign from my collection - tires guaranteed for 5000 miles!   I've got spark plugs in my collection that are "guaranteed for life" but there is no address printed on the box.  Of course the companies didn't last long enough anyway.

Terry

20180420_201217-1.jpg

• Like 2

Check this early trade card with paint color samples on it!  Notice the early tiller steered car.  Must be right at 1900 if not a bit earlier.

Measures about 3 3/4' x 6 3/4"  Have not done any research on the company yet but would love to know some history.

Terry

Paint trade card.jpg

• Like 4

Another early porcelain that has been in my collection for over 40 years. 4ft square. Double sided. When they installed the electric garage door opener the electrician ran the conduit over it. One of these days I will get around to re-routing it

IMG_3101.jpeg

• Like 3

Tracto Oil Company SST sign that has been on my wall for a long time.  A product of Schaeffer oil Company founded in 1839 to produce soap and candles.  Started producing oils and greases to support the westward expansion during the California Gold Rush.  In 1859 the company began using petroleum as its base.  The original lubricants were called Red Engine Oil and Black Beauty Grease.IMG_3099.jpg.b7cb4753c98d5c540c07277bbab0f033.jpg

On 10/24/2023 at 6:14 PM, Terry Bond said:

Nice can - interesting the "guarantees" that came with products back then.

Good call Terry.  On the 1000 Mile Motor Oil Sign they guarantee that three gallons will take you from coast to coast

1 hour ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Good call Terry.  On the 1000 Mile Motor Oil Sign they guarantee that three gallons will take you from coast to coast

That's about right for the late 1920s, by which time there were oil control rings although not perfected.  A 1928 Buick owner's manual I once had said, "An engine properly broken in and in good condition can be expected to consume one gallon of oil per thousand miles"  [emphasis mine]

• Like 3