Memoribilia to view - A guide

Speaking of ink blotters, this one came in a lot of literature that I had picked up.  Seems kind of late for a blotter, with the Desoto and Valiant lines I would think that this dates to about 1960 or 61.  Interesting mix of products at the dealership as well.

20221130_114515 (2).jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This piece is a little bit different.  I just discovered it today in a large lot of brochures that I had picked up a few years ago.  At first I thought that it was destined for the recycle bin due to the writing on the cover and then I started taking a closer look and realized that it was a proof for the brochure with corrects being noted in the handwriting.  The final product had the changes made that are handwritten here.  In addition it is actually two sheets glued together to make up the brochure.  I have no idea how this managed to escape into private hands from the company files.  

DSC_0516 (2).JPG

DSC_0517 (2).JPG

DSC_0518 (2).JPG

DSC_0519 (2).JPG

DSC_0520 (2).JPG

• Like 2

On 11/30/2022 at 10:07 AM, 3macboys said:

Speaking of ink blotters, this one came in a lot of literature that I had picked up.  Seems kind of late for a blotter, with the Desoto and Valiant lines I would think that this dates to about 1960 or 61.  Interesting mix of products at the dealership as well.

Seeing these blotters reminded that I have a few tucked away.  Most are local, but these two may be of most interest here ...

blotters.jpg.bee9ba94cd53c9686cc8bb138e6406f0.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Interesting McCord gasket sales display. 20 by 44 heavy tin. Was this Model T or Model A era?

This only has gaskets for the three-dip oil pan, so Model T pre 1925. Great sign!

Amendment, it’s also missing the one piece valve cover gasket so pre 21 I believe…

Edited by TheMoneyPit (see edit history)

3 hours ago, TheMoneyPit said:

Amendment, it’s also missing the one piece valve cover gasket so pre 21 I believe…

Thank you so much for the information.  Not a early Ford guy sorry to say.  Should have added a T to the collection years ago..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheMoneyPit said:

This only has gaskets for the three-dip oil pan, so Model T pre 1925. Great sign!

Good detective work- first thing I looked for was that valve cover gasket. Nice early display board. Would love to find one of those someday. 

Terry

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is a salesman's ruler to help promote the advantages of owning a Ford over the other brands. The whole smoother ride, more power, and more comfortable ride kind of stuff, the ruler/scale would be a handy tool to help illustrate the point ("Look at how much more legroom and more car, you can get if you were to buy a Ford..."). Later than the T, not sure about the A, but definitely from the early V-8 era. Neither the Model T nor A was sold as a roomy car. I have seen these mentioned in some of the Ford Salesmans Handbooks before, but I can't exactly remember which years. I don't think that they were giveaways, I think they were just "for dealer use" and I am sure that not many survived.

Ford ruler-2.png

Ford ruler-3.png

Ford ruler-7.png

Ford ruler-5.png

Edited by Ed in Virginia
replace dupe photo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

As one of those for who signs have become generally out of reach I've started to collect dealership flags.  I'm not quite to Terry's rule of 3 being a collection though.  The Royal City is from a dealership in Guelph, Ontario and the Oxford one is from London, Ontario.  I just hung the Oxford one today and was quite proud of myself not falling while hanging it.   I was certain that I had it up correctly, then I looked at my handy work.  I'm still scratching my head on how it was supposed to be hung, maybe sideways??? In any event I consider if it was a stamp it would be worth a fortune!   It might just stay the way that it is to see if anyone notices.

20230212_124011 (2).jpg

20230212_123935 (2).jpg

20230212_123742 (2).jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a neat find from our small swap meet this past weekend.  Nice day, lots of vendors and plenty of good stuff.  I'll get a full report together and post it under the Swap Meet category.  Terry

Helping hand turn signal.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This isn't so much memorabilia as a brief history of the packaging of Chrysler parts in Canada over the years.   I was sorting through a bunch of NOS parts today and thought there might be some interest on the logo and naming of Chryco and Autopar instead of Mopar. 

Top row is approximately 30's, 40's and then later 50's early 60's

Middle row is mid 60's then the last box is early 70's

Bottom row is 1970's and then mid to late 80 into the 90's before they finally adopted the Mopar name here.  There is one missing between those two but I could not find a good example.  

20230502_160611 (2).jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Interesting old Snap On Cabinet. Any idea how old?

Going on the style of the tools pictured, I would guess very early in their production - 1920-25 maybe?

Here is a link to the Snap-on section of a great resource on early 20th century tools that shows similar tools as the cabinet: http://alloy-artifacts.org/so-early-sockets.html#dates

• 2 weeks later...

Feel free to remove this. It isn’t really memorabilia, but like many of you, I’ve got a lot of stuff stashed away out of sight were it can’t be enjoyed and I picked this up recently and I’m looking forward to filling it up with lots of interesting stuff I have that can’t be enjoyed at the moment. I apologize for the dark light on the photography.

35962403-DEE3-4CA7-96E3-DDAF7746AE59.jpeg

AA70C262-3D40-49AA-AA6F-501A35C1530E.jpeg

C8872434-55FF-44C2-8620-C4D7D1FAC287.jpeg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

Feel free to remove this. It isn’t really memorabilia, but like many of you, I’ve got a lot of stuff stashed away out of sight were it can’t be enjoyed and I picked this up recently and I’m looking forward to filling it up with lots of interesting stuff I have that can’t be enjoyed at the moment. I apologize for the dark light on the photography.

Great vintage piece to display your finds...nice bevel glass top...thats pretty rare itself...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thebuicknut said:

Great vintage piece to display your finds...nice bevel glass top...thats pretty rare itself...

It is nice....and oh so heavy. The top glass piece must weigh 35 pounds. It has a very small chip in one corner that you don’t notice unless I would point it out to you. I’m trying to think about just randomly filling it up, or having more of an organized theme to the contents. I’ve got lots of junk.....er.....treasures to fill it and many more. 

• Like 3

On 5/17/2023 at 9:47 PM, John Bloom said:

Nice case. I can tell you from experience that it will make your "stuff" look even better once it's in the case.

I have several Oak & Wood cases. It adds awe and ambiance to one's collection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2023 at 9:47 PM, John Bloom said:

I seem to collect showcases. They are perfect for displaying artifacts in my recreated old auto parts store. I have a number of them in the house also to display some of the automobilia that just doesn't belong in the garage.  I'm always looking for nice ones and it seems there are always one or two undergoing the restoration process.  Can't beat the originals though.  Here are a few, including one recently acquired in a nearby antique shop.

Showcase restored.jpg

Showcase Small 2.jpg

Small showcase refinished.jpg

Brass resized showcase full.jpg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

I seem to collect showcases. They are perfect for displaying artifacts in my recreated old auto parts store. I have a number of them in the house also to display some of the automobilia that just doesn't belong in the garage.  I'm always looking for nice ones and it seems there are always one or two undergoing the restoration process.  Can't beat the originals though.  Here are a few, including one recently acquired in a nearby antique shop.

Showcase restored.jpg

Showcase Small 2.jpg

Small showcase refinished.jpg

Brass resized showcase full.jpg

Terry, those are fabulous. I’m not stopping with one case, I have a lot I want to get out and make visible in my garage. Your stuff is inspiring.