Memoribilia to view - A guide

I wonder if they will accept me as a member? 😁

I am getting interested in these member cards, or better yet, card designed to be handed out by car clubs of the 50s to improve young club member images with the public.  Often these said things like " you have been helped by a member of xxx club", to be given when assisting another motorist.  Anyone else collecting these?

20210905_210210.jpg

This showroom banner was just given to me today which brings it full circle.  I've mentioned before that our shop is a late 1950's Chrysler dealership and this banner actually came from the dealership.  The rest of the story is that the father in-law of the fellow that gave it to me was a mechanic at the dealership and had it until he passed and then it was used to wrap something during the estate clean out and ended up on the wall of a cottage shed for the last number of years.  Long story short is that is it now back where it started from and will be hung up in the shop.  It is double sided and in remarkable condition for a 50 year old fabric piece.

20210906_113840 (2).jpg

20210906_113905 (2).jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I wonder if they will accept me as a member? 😁

I am getting interested in these member cards, or better yet, card designed to be handed out by car clubs of the 50s to improve young club member images with the public.  Often these said things like " you have been helped by a member of xxx club", to be given when assisting another motorist.  Anyone else collecting these?

20210905_210210.jpg

I have a a few of them.. or a lot.. Just did know any one wanted them.. 

mickes.jpg

• Like 1

I finally got this piece up. Was found brand new in the crate from 1953. A total of 5 crates with zero instructions. Luckily I had the sign catalog showing this sign which helped with assembly. Had to have a few small mounting pieces made, but went together semi smooth. It's 17' tall and just absolutely awesome!

6957FFBA-FE36-42C7-9DA1-D2818E2098D4.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mike McCandless said:

I finally got this piece up. Was found brand new in the crate from 1953. A total of 5 crates with zero instructions. Luckily I had the sign catalog showing this sign which helped with assembly. Had to have a few small mounting pieces made, but went together semi smooth. It's 17' tall and just absolutely awesome!

6957FFBA-FE36-42C7-9DA1-D2818E2098D4.jpeg

One word WOW!!!

We have our second auction Saturday. Big jump up for us, we went from 150 to 2.5x that number of pieces. All pieces are no reserve. The level of quality in these pieces, is the best of any auction out there. A few pieces may go crazy, the earliest known Oilzum has no limit, can't wait to see what it goes for.

https://bid.richmondauctions.com/auctions/4-2UGQ3W/richmond-auctions-second-annual-advertisingmemorabilia-sale

A cute Fisk lithograph, 20 by 30 dated 1927. J F Kernan was known as the poor man’s Norman Rockwell and did several Fisk advertisements along with  30 Saturday Evening Post covers 

9BB83AAA-8CC9-495F-A9E5-2215C23F393E.jpeg

Edited by Robert G. Smits
correction (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 1:43 PM, Mike McCandless said:

Correct, that was at our auction :)This is one of our recent additions for our next auction. The earliest known Oilzum sign. Referred to as the "bucktooth". 

9EDD7CD3-93AE-4737-A8C9-F5DAE2597BE7.jpeg

Mike reported this on May 7th. It sold yesterday for over $81K and I don’t think that includes the auction fee. If interested it is discussed in a separate thread started by Terry Bond

Another lithograph from storage that I hadn’t seen in 20 years. 18 by 27 heavy cardboard. The wood crate it was shipped in is dated 1905.  Additional research reveals that this sign was produced in 1910

3173FA0F-B362-4009-92BA-1444DBB4789C.jpeg

5EAEDFB2-CBC2-4CE2-BC4A-99B32A7AFAAC.jpeg

correction (see edit history)

Another early litho from my collection. Attempts to date it have been unsuccessful so far.  As I have mentioned previously I like images depicting action.  This one fits the bill.

998BC61E-BCD7-417D-A875-5E002D02B9C4.jpeg

Addition (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Interesting, but I spent a bit of time looking for something automobile related there without any success.  Have you tried researching the play or author to try and determine the date? I checked for on the Globe Theater in Boston and found out it was destroyed by a fire in 1894. Ive also found a reference to the play and author that was published in 1885. That's a pretty early poster.

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Terry, thank you so much for the information.  Although not auto related I thought memorabilia enthusiasts would enjoy seeing a early lithograph.  Your research would go along with the info provided by the seller who was an east coast "picker" now deceased who dated it around 1890

6 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

That's a pretty early poster.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Interesting, but I spent a bit of time looking for something automobile related there without any success.  Have you tried researching the play or author to try and determine the date? I checked for on the Globe Theater in Boston and found out it was destroyed by a fire in 1894. Ive also found a reference to the play and author that was published in 1885. That's a pretty early poster.

Terry

On Dec. 22 1884 at the Toronto Grand Opera House the performance of "Off To Egypt" , a musical comedy in three acts.

Monday Dec 1  would be 1884 or 1890, to be at that theater I would date it to be 1890.

Edited by 28 Chrysler (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Again Thank You.  By the way what was your search engine phrase.  I had used "Off to Egypt, Globe Theater, Boston" with no luck

I used "Off to Egypt by W.H.Fuller", very little came up but "An Arab Abduction" was there.

When I found it was a 3 act comedy I was hoping to find a copy of the play and/or the musical score.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2020 at 3:42 PM, Walt G said:

OK time to get into a VANE mode. weather vane of course. This was 2 stories up on the top of a gas station in Mineola , N.Y. and when my friends who ran the station were leaving because the word is the place would be torn down ( it was built ca. 1934). I stopped by and wondered why no one had taken down the weather vane that was there since the building was new - my answer was that they didn't like height ( neither did I ) so it would stay and become part of the debris heap. I went home and loaded a wood construction ladder into my 41 Packard woody wagon and with my Dad along went back and climbed up and cut it down with a hack saw ( it was November, really cold and by the time I got there was dark) had a small flash light in my mouth to see what I was working on . Several friends stopped by and wondered who was at the top of the ladder and when told who in a loud voice said " REALLY are you nuts!"  . They never did tear the building down but it got sealed up and turned into a laundry.

The weather vane is about 36 inches wide for the length of the car which resembles a 1935-36 Chrysler product or a Reo or a ? I do not know who made the weather vane but it is very well detailed in heavy sheet metal . Today for many decades it has resided on the top of my garage. Still functioning well . I had to fabricate a new base for it to fit well on the garage here.

Weathervane.jpg

weathervane two.jpg

Almost a year since I posted the photos of the weather vane on the peak of my garage roof, and 19 months or so since I started this topic/thread. Here is a view of the weather vane and its shadow at 7 am this morning when I had our Scottie out for his morning stroll. Clear but cold here on western long island. BUT thankful for no floods or fires that our affecting so many fellow collectors in other parts of the USA. Stay well all, and THANK YOU for continuing to support this thread and the AACA!!  We squirrels have to stay together....................

Walt

WEATHERvaneOct2021.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since there has been any activity here on this particular forum so thought I'd post a couple of pics on some items I'd like to find more of - sure it's a "wanted" ad, but it's also sharing things from my collection(s) that need to be part of some completed sets of things - first up is this great little tin lithographed dish from a child's tea set. It's about 4" in diameter and is early 1900s.  I've got a few pieces that I'll add photos of later including a wonderful large serving tray, and cups/saucers.   What I'm missing is the tea pot, and cream/sugar containers that also come with this set, and of course additional cups,  saucers, and any other small dishes that go with it.  If you know of any additional pieces for this set, or see them in your travels through your favorite antique shops, let me know and get me all the info needed to connect with the seller.  Would love to complete this little tea set!

Next is a look at some postcards in my collection.  This is a wonderful series of six different early 1900s cards known as "Little Motorist" series and the number of the set is 6731.  The artist was E. A. Andrews, a well-known illustrator of children's books.  There are three cards depicting boys, and three with girls on them.  All are exquisitely illustrated with appropriately attired young children ready to embark on a journey in the latest mechanical marvel - an automobile.  The automobiles can be seen as a smaller image in the background.  I'd sure like to find those I'm missing from the set or to upgrade the condition of those I already have. 

Enjoy the photos and thanks for any assistance adding to my collection(s).

Terry

Childs tin litho tea set saucer.jpg

Tucks Little Motorist series postcard.jpg

Tucks Little Motorist series 4.jpg

Tucks Little Motorist series 7.jpg

• Like 3

Thought it about time to step back in here to share , THANKS TO ALL WHO ARE CONTINUING TO POST HERE -GIVES US ALL A  GREAT IDEA OF WHAT EXISTS!!

The back ground sign is tin, NOS, and embossed lithographed image. The mascots are : Lincoln greyhound  base is 3 1/2 inches. Is not from the 1929 and earlier model L as I think they had a smaller base that was higher/thicker, so my guess is this is from 1931 - 32?? Please comment all you Lincoln lads

the dog sitting with the hat and cigar also has a base of 3 1/2 inches and is British in manufacture. no name as to maker - one of may favorite accessory mascots of the late 1920s early 1930s, Seems to be nickel plating not chrome. did not have a screw base to fit to radiator neck, was a flange on a stud and that has been gone for at least 50 years. Great detail ( which makes it a pain to clean properly) .

BROWNIEand Mascots.jpg

Edited by Walt G
forgot to add image! (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Great photo Walt.  Interesting mascots - the bulldog especially. It's British and I've seen others like it before.  There were actually several different mascots that in varied ways illustrated the "British Bull-Dog spirit" from the war years.  The "bull dog" itself was used widely to illustrate toughness.  John Bull was not only a brand of tires (oops, that's "TYRES") but the image of a bull-dog appeared in political cartoons and in all kinds of ways.  Of course the cigar is probably in tribute to Churchill himself - Britain's most famous "Bull Dog."

Terry

• Like 1

Childs tea set - here are pics of a couple of additional pieces from my collection showing the early children's litho tin tea set.  Interested in acquiring any additional pieces for this set - tea pot, cream/sugar and additional cups and saucers.   Thanks.

Terry

Childs tin litho saucer or dish.jpg

Chlds tea set cup and saucer.jpg

Childs tin litho tea set serving tray.jpg

• Like 4