Memoribilia to view - A guide

Sorry I didn't get to finish.  My 12y/o triplet grandsons came home from school.  Jackie Cooper starred in "The Little Rascals" from 1929-1931.  He was also Perry White in four "Superman" movies along with his role in 1931's "The Champ": He was the first child star to be nominated for Best Actor Academy Award for his appearance in "Skippy" at age 9.  In addition to acting he had a respectable career as a director for several episodes of M*A*S*H and The White Shadow.  He died May 3. 2011 at age 88.

8SH

• Like 1

Found this in an antique store in Hershey on our way home from the annual car show and flea market. It usually rides on the top of a license plate on the back of my 1940 Buick

PAairplanetopper.jpg

• Like 1

Hanging this big guy was a lot of fun. It's 10' tall and double sided. Careful planning and everything worked out. Was pumped to get this one as they're usually the 6' version. This was still on the wall of the building 6 months ago, pretty crazy given the condition of it. One of only 2 I know in this size, although I'm sure there are more. 

7BDD8B21-C356-41D2-9A30-C1CF8D4A03CC.jpeg

• Like 1

They made 2 versions of this sign. I have the other version, but it as a fully restored piece, so it's leaving the museum. This is an original skin I purchased, then had the can/neon done to replace the restored version I had. I threw the fargo piece under it simply because it fit. This one wasn't too bad, easier than the dodge. Left the neon off so you could see the skin quality, it's in amazing condition. 

2AA83036-092A-485E-970E-531E4A699D21.jpeg

• Like 3

Allow me to contribute to this topic by sharing my 1925 American National Packard Six pedal car still in original condition. This car has an opening door, tilt steering, it's fully sprung and has a trunk complete with an Alemite tool kit and junior grease gun. In 1925 you could win this car in a word building contest offered by the manufacturer. I've included a catalog page along with a page from the contest flyer as well. 

164032377_2173920216072329_322351454291079300_n.jpg

162973797_2173920662738951_7028016485093286333_n.jpg

162719561_2173921279405556_4198784915182517063_n.jpg

Tool Kit.jpg

• Like 4

Wow, that pedal car is fantastic, and with the history and all the go-withs!!!   Never had the space to collect pedal cars but sure wish I had the chance to acquire some that I've passed up over the years.  Will never forget one like this that turned up in an antique shop in Edinburgh Scotland back in the early 1970s.  Could have bought it for a couple hundred bucks at the time.

Terry

1900s Pedal car 3.JPG

• Like 1

Nothing to do Sunday morning so I started going through my wife’s vintage clothing storage unit. Interesting Michelin advertising sign. So far I haven’t been able to find a similar sign on eBay. Any idea as to the age?  Thanks 

4C682DFA-A0D9-4B5F-9FE0-482DE4D02625.jpeg

Edited by Robert G. Smits
Spelling (see edit history)

This is a 4 by 4 inch transparency  I have no memory of purchasing it or ever seeing it before. Probably came with a box of junk. Any idea how this was used or did someone just take a high quality photo of a nos advertisement?

F4EABE91-4F25-4C0E-9EB6-D99E936B8F1D.jpeg

The glass slide was probably used in movie theaters for an advertisement projected up on a screen when reels were changed . I have a few for Ford model T showing body styles in the 1920s. Sometimes called glass lantern slides.

3 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

This is a 4 by 4 inch transparency  I have no memory of purchasing it or ever seeing it before. Probably came with a box of junk. Any idea how this was used or did someone just take a high quality photo of a nos advertisement?

F4EABE91-4F25-4C0E-9EB6-D99E936B8F1D.jpeg

Sometimes called a "magic lantern slide" these were used in movie theaters during breaks/intermission to advertise local businesses.  They were projected onto the screen much like we used 35mm slides not that long ago.  I've had a variety of them over the years.  The ones I remember most though were a number of slides advertising a Ford dealership featuring Model Ts.  Those slides ended up with Sherm Weatherbee when he worked at Lang's Model T Parts.  I believe those slides are now proud possessions of his son, Mark, who is a regular here on the forum.  Amazing sometimes how stuff circles around. 

Terry

2 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Found in the same box as preceding items. NOS counter display item in original package. 

B5F69768-742E-4D4A-B33C-03DCC21C646A.jpeg

Nice advertising item!  I remember a few years back a quantity of these was discovered by an antique dealer.  Over time they've been sold at some auctions and of course evil-bay.  I've even seen them occasionally at Hershey.   As you can see in the example shown, there is a space where it's cut-out so a bottle of the polish can be inserted for display.  The bottle Is a cobalt blue color, shaped to fit the cut-out.  The paper label on the bottle has the same image on it so when the bottle is inserted, nothing seems missing.   I don't have an image of one complete.  Maybe someone here can supply one?  

Terry

23 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:
2 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Nice advertising item!  I remember a few years back a quantity of these was discovered by an antique dealer.

That would explain the pristine condition of this advertising piece.  Terry your knowledge of advertising history along with Walt and others is amazing and  adds to the enjoyment of this thread along with educating the rest of us.

That's what happens when you collect stuff a long time.  What I couldn't afford at the time is still firmly etched in my brain. 

Here are a few interesting items I've been wanting to post for a while - these are embossed die-cut automobile calendar tops.  Usually quite large, they had smaller tear-off calendar pads attached.  Although some of the automobile images were purely decorative, their most common actual use was for advertising.  I've been collecting these for a long time, and some even have the calendar pads still attached.

Terry

20191213_153029-1-1.jpg

20190512_152942-1.jpg

Calendar Topper.jpg

20190524_094045-1-1.jpg

20190430_000514-1.jpg

• Like 1

It is what these forums and AACA are all about, sharing what we have and the knowledge we have managed to gather. Seeing advertising items, actual pieces of cars, accessories, images - photographs and printed, every part of an item that is connected to a motor vehicle ( and some horse drawn) makes history come alive, just the way the real cars and trucks do when you see one , especially if it is going down the road under its own power. If it moves , some how it is alive, the way it was alive 25,45, 75 or 100+ years ago. Our collections of objects, information, etc. is what we ( AACA and other clubs) are all about. That respect for history keeps us alive too. There will always be something "old" that is "new:"" for us. That happened to me just 2 days ago when in a trade with a long time friend a package arrived with several souvenir programs for custom automobile salons that took place in the WWI era , Now to be added to my collection. It was amazing to see things I had not seen before and made my collection more complete  and also put the whole picture of what happen then in a more cohesive story. And yes that story will be shared with all of you eventually. All pieces of the puzzle.

WG

Edited by Walt G
removed redundant word (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I sure like small stuff - doesn't take up much room!  Among my loads of small things are these interesting and quite rare pieces of advertising.  They are postage stamp holders.  Made from delicate celluloid, they have an insert (made from celluloid) that holds a couple of postage stamps.  They are not much bigger than postage stamp size and were meant to carry in a wallet or vest pocket.  There are a lot of advertising stamp holders around and they are very collectable, but I find those that carry some form of automobile advertising on them are very hard to come by.  These are the only three I have.  Saw one a while back advertising a Model T era Ford dealership but it wasn't for sale unfortunately.  The one advertising Lucas gas lamps is fantastic and the celluloid insert with red, white, and blue ribbons is printed with a calendar showing mandatory "lighting up" times for the UK. Anybody seen (or have) others?

Terry

Stamp holders.jpg

I went to the great Pierce Arrow meet this past week in Lancaster Pa.  Part of the meet was a silent auction of items donated by a long time member of the Pierce Arrow Society.

I was somewhat shocked to find a couple of toy cars in the auction, one of which was a 1910 Converse Pierce Arrow touring car.

I didn't pay much attention, thought it had be repainted at some time, didn't bid a lot but did keep my eye on it.  To my surprise I won it with a smallish bid, as it seemed very few people knew what it was.

I had another one that I thought was OK, but after close inspection the one I just bought is beautiful, and I'm starting to believe original paint.  In addition, it's the spring driven moving model, with working steering, which my other one is not.

I'm tickled to have both of them, thought I'd share.  Large model, about sixteen inches long.

IMG_5061.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, trimacar said:

I went to the great Pierce Arrow meet this past week in Lancaster Pa.  Part of the meet was a silent auction of items donated by a long time member of the Pierce Arrow Society.

I was somewhat shocked to find a couple of toy cars in the auction, one of which was a 1910 Converse Pierce Arrow touring car.

I didn't pay much attention, thought it had be repainted at some time, didn't bid a lot but did keep my eye on it.  To my surprise I won it with a smallish bid, as it seemed very few people knew what it was.

I had another one that I thought was OK, but after close inspection the one I just bought is beautiful, and I'm starting to believe original paint.  In addition, it's the spring driven moving model, with working steering, which my other one is not.

I'm tickled to have both of them, thought I'd share.  Large model, about sixteen inches long.

IMG_5061.jpg

Quite an interesting history on those Morton Converse automobiles.  More info can be found here -

https://www.antiquetoys.com/morton-converse-toy-cars-wanted-circa-1912/?v=7516fd43adaa

Not sure why so many of his toy automobiles were Pierce but he made quite a variety of them - roadsters, tourers, trucks, etc.  Some even came with canvas folding tops and glass windshields.  Head and sidelamps were always nicely carved in wood and painted gold.  They were well made and survival is pretty good on them.  Here is a photo of a couple of them in a friend's collection.  The one on the right is a roadster with canvas top and glass windshield, which is unfortunately broken.

Terry

Converse toy cars.jpg

Wow, that roadster is nice, very few seem to have the top.  And, on the touring, the top folds down.  The story of how Converse got started with toys is interesting.  Know anyone who could make repro wood lights?

3 hours ago, trimacar said:

Wow, that roadster is nice, very few seem to have the top.  And, on the touring, the top folds down.  The story of how Converse got started with toys is interesting.  Know anyone who could make repro wood lights?

I'm sure that with a sharp pocket knife and some wood scraps you could do it while sitting in the easy chair counting days till Hershey.

Terry

2 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

I'm sure that with a sharp pocket knife and some wood scraps you could do it while sitting in the easy chair counting days till Hershey.

Terry

Or using dowel and a drill press set up to be a mini wood lathe, so long as you have a good picture with a scale and maybe even a few diameter measurements it would be rather easy. If Terry would be so kind, I would be willing to give it a shot...

While David was at the Pierce event I went back to the CC storage unit. Well preserved Ford Truck advertising Banner 38 by 52. The close up shows one blemish.  The material is synthetic. My question is can this be cleaned and how?  Is the material likely Rayon?  Thanks

F8837333-4591-45D1-B39F-EEB7ECE0FFD1.jpeg

Edited by Robert G. Smits
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

99214E9A-D1F9-4DFF-9BD2-DF3ABB4980FD.jpeg

That looks like a spot where a price sticker was attached.   Bad stuff!   Wonder if some of that "glue-be-gone" stuff would help?  BUT - first rule - DO NO HARM.  

It's a nice banner, and just one blemish, which represents honest wear and aging to some extent, does not really detract.  Any attempt to clean or improve on that spot might result in damage to the material, discoloration, or worse.   I'd say leave it alone.  While we'd love to have everything be perfect, that's not likely with our old stuff.  It's the nicest one I've ever seen.  You should be happy with it.

Terry

Thanks Terry.  Good advice.  We all like everything to be perfect.  After all these years my wife suggests I'm not perfect either.  This is part of my stash that was placed in CC storage when we moved to the panhandle of Florida in 2000.  Because of humidity and hurricanes I left a large amount in storage.  Little did I know that helping raise triplet grandsons in Texas for the past 12 years would consume so much of my life.  So now I am starting t go through my collection and I can probably keep several threads going for a while.  Some of the stuff I have no recollection where it came from although the Ford Truck banner came from the Indy Advertising Show prior to 2000. I am getting ready to have it matted and framed.  More to come.

• Like 1

Having things displayed so you can enjoy them is important. We've all got too much tucked away. I have so many wall hangers and not enough walls! I think together we could keep this forum well supplied with things to look at for a long time. Because of the high cost of framing stuff I've been doing my own for several years. Some stuff I still prefer to use a professional for,  but cutting my own mats, glass, and making my own frames or using thrift store bargains has been fun. The money I save goes to Hershey for more stuff.

Terry

• Like 1

I actually started a sheet-music thread a while back and posted some images of a few, include one of the Mercer piece in my collection.  It's a very striking image.  It's something I've collected a long time.  I've got around 300 different, all of them early, the majority pre WWI.  The largest collection I've ever heard of was 600 but I'm not convinced that's an accurate number, unless you count variations and more modern titles (which don't really excite me).   It's the fantastic cover illustrations that are what attracts me.  Wish I had the wall space to frame and hang them.  Only a few grace the wall in the staircase going upstairs. 

Despite the breadth of my collection, there are still a lot I don't have and may never acquire.  There were many songs written to promote specific automobiles (like the Mercer).  'm sure that some printed about very rare cars were available in such small quantities, and just local areas they are impossible to find now.

It's a cross-over collectable like many other items.  I have found people who collect rag-time music and related memorabilia are among my fiercest competitors.  Here are a few more.

Terry

Gasoline Rag 2.jpg

Belle of 1900.jpg

Benzine Buggy Man (Stodard Dayton).jpg

Fiat.jpg

Ford Sedan.jpg

I'll Ford down to Florida but I'll soon Cadillac back.jpg

Our New MoonCar.jpg

That Auto Ought to Go.jpg

• Like 2