Period RACE CAR Images to Relieve some of the Stress

Got my Rh and Lh confused. Number 50 is the Correja, the partially obscured one is a Staver Chicago. AHa is correct, I posted this picture closer to the start of the thread. The Standard Catalog has an entry for Correja, but that and this photo are the only time I have ever heard of this make. 

Greg

Actually I spoke too soon . Here is another photo of a Correja from the Detroit Public Library collection. Not a race car but at least somewhat sporting. I wonder if the touring in the background is one as well ? Captioned 1910

It would be interesting to hear if any have survived.

view

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here is another photo from the Detroit PL collection. I think this is also a recent addition. Photo is captioned asGus Monckmeir at the wheel of a Staver Chicago in the 1911 Algonquin hill climb. But I am not 100% sure this acually  is a Staver. Rear springs and a few other details don't look right to me. 

view

I don't think this one has been posted already.  Case race car  from the 1913 Indy . Also Detroit PL collection.

McCue wheels like the ones the first year or two of Stutz used. They don't seem to have been on the market for very long.  also unusual is that the front shocks are mounted at 90 degrees from what most are.

view

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 2:07 PM, 1912Staver said:

I don't think this one has been posted already.  Case race car  from the 1913 Indy . Also Detroit PL collection.

McCue wheels like the ones the first year or two of Stutz used. They don't seem to have been on the market for very long.  also unusual is that the front shocks are mounted at 90 degrees from what most are.

view

The DPL links you posted wouldn't load for me.

Best way to the collection is a google search to the Detroit Public Library Digital Collection. Note it is a seperate home page from the Detroit Public Library book collection and branch directory. There are a large number of great vintage car photos in this collection. And thousands of non automotive historical photo's. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an image of the Sheepshead Bay speedway (race track) in Brooklyn, NY - yes a race track on a board track with banked turns in Brooklyn! the photo is from an advertisement in the 1918 New York custom body Salon souvenir catalog - yes, a lot of very obscure places to find the subject you seek. Who would ever look in a catalog of custom coach work exhibits for race car material? The Salon souvenir catalogs are not easy to locate. 4 salon locations each year , all run by the same managing  organization, and you had to be invited to attend a salon - general public couldn't pay to get in if they wanted to. They ran from approximately 1914 to just into 1932. Except for about half a dozen I have the original programs for all the 4 salons - has taken 50+ years to achieve this, but oh what a wealth of information to connect all the dots to a history puzzle if you know what questions to ask.

This image is for the great guy that started this thread. Steve Moskowitz.

SHeepsheadBay1918car race.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn. more images - this is the cover of the program for the Harkness Gold Trophy Race held Saturday Sept. 22, 1917.

LOOK to the right of the foot of the man on the right side of the cover who is holdng the checkered flag. it gives the name of the artist who painted the cover picture : C.P. HELCK

yes, that is the Peter Helck we all know who later owned the Locomobile Old 16 race car used in the Vanderbilt Cup Races. 

This program is really tattered and has been cut up by some kid at some report to get some photos of the favorite race car drivers he liked but it has some really interesting advertisements in it for both cars and trucks, oil, gasoline and even one for Cracker Jacks! 🤩

RACEprogram1917SHeepsheadBay.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 3:44 PM, Rob H. said:

I just noticed this page (I was on during page 26).  NZnerd, your photos of the NZ Ford Model K turned speedster/racer are much clearer than mine.  Here they are "tuned up" a bit.  Thank you for posting.  Attached is an "enhanced" and colorized version of the Model K speedster/racer using the better photo.  

0DCD4AAB-9DC0-4B20-BD46-F5B08C013C44.jpeg

I see the mechanic Wuff Wuff, rode in the back seat

Time to post a race car related photo or so here, this again for our hard working Steve Moskowitz who started the thread, come on everyone dig out those race car photos.

What you see here : the photo of the man is Mr. Maserati himself in 1930 probably in the Autumn of that year as the photo appeared in France in October of that year.

the race car is a Bugatti also from 1930 , in the 4 litre  class in a 6 hour race on Sept. 14 but not noted where.

Finally a Panhard 8 cylinder race car also from 1930.

Maserati1930theman.jpg

BUGatti1930racecar.jpg

Panhard8cyl1930racecar.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

William K. Vanderbilt Jr. at Ormond Beach in his 90 hp Mercedes race car in 1904. I had an original print when this was copied and the original print was destroyed by a careless old car "friend" who just had to borrow it to make a negative. More about this great car was posted on the Jan. 3, 2015 page of Howard Kroplick's VanderbiltCupRaces.com web site.

VanderbiltormandBenz.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

image.jpeg.baba341143fa00fb0236e849577d5062.jpegI hope this wasn't previously posted... I didn't look at all 28 pages of this thread. This is Eddie Rickenbacker in 1913, before he became famous in WWI the car is an early walking beam Duesenberg. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Louis Chevrolet and his brothers were serious racers, drivers, designers, and builders for many years. Both in Europe and the USA. Sad that they are sometimes remembered mostly for the Chevrolet automobile, for which they had only a brief flirtation thanks to William Durant. About the only similarity to the Chevrolet brothers with the automobile ended up being the name.

• Like 1

These two pictures were posted by 1937HD45 on another thread. I don't believe they were ever posted in this thread, I may be wrong. I like having all these early race car pictures in one place.

DSCF1332.JPG

DSCF1333.JPG

• Like 1

Joe Puleo posted this picture of the Renault car George Waterman owned. It has been featured before but I don't believe this picture has been shared. The car evidently is not one of the Grand Prix cars pictured above. Joe shared that it is in fact a 35HP car of about 450ci and is patterned after the larger cars. It would be nice to know a little more of its history. Joe has shared that Waterman purchased the car about 1940. Before then?

1319503263_WatermanRenault.jpg.557c586d1cf24b31fe5ef5c5c00e4986.jpg

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Like 1

While I'm at it, here are two pictures of the freshly restored second 1906 Locomobile that was raced in the 1908 Vanderbilt cup. For many years, this car was thought to be lost. Locomobile made two race cars in 1906 and raced them together. In 1908, the car now  known as Old 16, won the race and this car, numbered 1 in that race, disappeared. It was rumored to have been taken apart and saved as back up parts for Old 16, and passed down owner to owner with Old 16, but there is a second story that says it was pushed off the end of the pier at the Locomobile factory in an effort to clean up out of date inventory. There is one testimony of a second complete motor being seen in Peter Helck's collection. These pictures were posted in another thread by George K.

AF21D993-C6A3-48AD-8A68-530DE3165F5B.jpeg

47BC0CD8-B143-459F-ABAC-EA5E73905891.jpeg

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Louis Chevrolet and his brothers were serious racers, drivers, designers, and builders for many years. Both in Europe and the USA. Sad that they are sometimes remembered mostly for the Chevrolet automobile, for which they had only a brief flirtation thanks to William Durant. About the only similarity to the Chevrolet brothers with the automobile ended up being the name.

It’s sad that many people my age don’t realize the name Chevrolet came from an actual person. Yes, he was more a racecar driver and daredevil than a car designer for the masses. I’m studying the origins of early American car builders and namesakes. Something I learned recently is that Buick actually patented the porcelain coated bath tub before ever endeavoring into autos. History is more interesting than most would imagine! I’m glad I found this thread. Tons of experimental engineering on these early racecars found its way to the passenger cars. I love it!  

These cars were built by men that were learning how to race as they learned how to build a car. Super cool to look back at the imagination, brilliance and determination of these people. I certainly have tons of respect for what they created and the tooling they first had to create to make and work on these vehicles. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has there ever been a Stevens Duryea race car that anyone knows of or has a picture of? I've heard of the race that Frank Duryea won with a Duryea in 1895 but nothing after the association with Stevens took place.

53 minutes ago, AHa said:

Here is a nice picture of a Knox Grant from the Wilbraham Hill Climb in 1908. Courtesy of Masslive.com

Wilbraham Hill Climb Reenactment to feature vintage cars in honor of town's  250th anniversary - masslive.com

That hill is a few miles from our shop, and all of our cars we sort are driven up it at maximum speed the car is capable of………and it slows down the big boys. It proves your cooling system, transmission, fuel delivery, ignition, and just about everything else. There have been a few recent hill climbs done there by the VMCCA and sports car club, if your clutch has any issues……you will also find them on that hill. If your car has any issues…….you will not crest the hill. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have mixed feelings about colorized photos. The engineer in me knows the colorization cannot be perfect. While the historian in me is so used to seeing black and white photos that I hardly even notice the lack of color! But another part of me notices a kind of warmth in the photo that is lacking in black and white. A good internet friend has experimented with colorizing early photos of his favorite early automobiles, and I enjoy comparing the impressions the pictures give me.

I have seen this photo before, in its original B&W state. I do not remember where I saw it (might even have been on this forum?). I do recall that some information about the car, its history, and some of the people was given about this photo. 

If I do manage to find it, I will add a link (but no promises).

Edit;

Not what I saw before, but added to the other thread on which the colorized photo was posted. I thought the information should be here also for future reference.

Thanks go to forum member LCK81403 for this added information.

Other interesting comments and information added by forum member 1937hd45 and others. Link;

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/341211-period-images-to-relieve-some-of-the-stress/page/413/#comments

You may need to scan down the page for a ways to find the Hudson race car discussion.

1917 Hudson race car used at Indy

17 Hudson racer driven in 1919 Indy 500.jpg

17 Hudson Indy race car 03-04.jpg

17 Hudson Indy race car 04-04.jpg

17 Hudson Super Six Racer.jpg

Edited by wayne sheldon (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t haunt this thread as much as I would like to. I once saved a link to a period photo of a very early race car, unfortunately on a since dead laptop. 

it was of skeleton design, not unlike the Stevens-Duryea. Light wire wheels, in line mounted 2 cylinder engine, with the driver hanging off the extreme back of the car seated in a wicker seat. Any idea of what I saw?

I have a 2 cylinder water cooled Brennen that would work nicely for a recreation. Interestingly, it came from a since restored Model A 1903 Cadillac as an in period replacement. 
Thanks for your help !!

AHa, I referenced your S-D post in my original post. The photo I have “lost” was neither the Pirate nor the S-D. 
Similar though……

Jim Mead

Owego, NY 

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, but I appreciate the attempts. I’ll have to get that old lap top out and    see if I can have it retrieved.  I’m getting sort of interested again. 

Been busy restoring “Look”, Sam Collier’s first Estate Built road racing Sport Car. 1928……  The pioneer OARC   and ARCA entry, after their Briggs & Stratton Flyer.  Based on Model T components, Henderson 4 powered….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Mead said:

Nope, but I appreciate the attempts. I’ll have to get that old lap top out and    see if I can have it retrieved.  I’m getting sort of interested again. 

Been busy restoring “Look”, Sam Collier’s first Estate Built road racing Sport Car. 1928……  The pioneer OARC   and ARCA entry, after their Briggs & Stratton Flyer.  Based on Model T components, Henderson 4 powered….

Jim, Please, you just can't drop a statement like that and NOT include pictures!

Howard Dennis

• Like 1