Period RACE CAR Images to Relieve some of the Stress

I'll add this one from the same website. Waldemar Grant Hansen, a machinist by trade, developed metal machining techniques and provided engine parts for the Tourist Automobile Company of Los Angeles. He regularly tested his machines on the apricot orchard roads in and around Pasadena and Altadena, eventually leading to the Pasadena/Altadena Hill Climb events of 1906-1909.

pasadena-hotrod.jpg

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Curved Dash Oldsmobile appears to be an early model R, likely a 1901 or 1902. I can see the sharp corner at the rear of the rear deck, along with the wire wheels. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like it may not have brake drums on the rear wheels. The CDO looks to be a few years old at the time the picture was taken. The other car, stripped for racing perhaps? The radiator looks like what Oldsmobile was using along about 1906 into the early 1910s.

I wonder what the event was? There are a lot of people both in the stands and standing around the track, more than I would expect for some sort of "then and now" comparison between the fast new model and the then archaic early model.

Maybe this was a before the race exhibition? Certainly an interesting couple of photos.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I knew there was something I recognized in that race car photo. And slowly, something in my brain crept out. I had to thumb through one of my automobile encyclopedias until I saw the name.

I am pretty sure that car rounding the turn, kicking up clouds of dust, is a Pic Pic. An automobile from Switzerland from 1906 to 1924 (I did have to look that up!). Note the "PP" insignia on the radiator.

I knew I had seen that odd radiator shape somewhere before.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
9 hours ago, MetroPetro said:

IMG_5469.jpeg

At one point, this car was the fastest in the world - first to top 180MPH. The car still exists, and is driven regularly. The engine was 836 cubic inches, and the car was direct drive.

Edited by Studemax (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Some really wonderful early dirt track racing photos! Sure brings back memories for me.

Fiftyish years ago, I was very fortunate to participate in some early racing reenactments on a half mile plus dirt track running actual racing speeds with model T Ford racing cars!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...