Great day for a car ride in the country

Brass is Best

On 9/20/2023 at 10:59 AM, Packard enthus. said:

You lost me.  Thought I explained my Packard Twelve is a Packard Twelve.  I never lied to you..never tried to pass my Packard Twelve off as a Jaguar.

For those who do not know,  Packards are American cars - Jaguars are English.   Big difference - for example,  American cars use Mazda-related electrical systems.....meaning...Delco or Auto Lite (Owens in the earlier ones).  (Mazda is the Greek god of light).    British cars have Lucas electricals - the British god of darkness.......!

Peter,

Take a breath. He wasn't talking to you. Even if he was, your tone is harsh.

Also, your lesson is a bit condescending.  I dont think there is hardly a person on this forum that would mistake a Packard for a Jaguar or vis-versa.  Consider your audience.

Chill.

Read the forum rules and guidelines again:

Forum Guidelines

"Before you speak (post or comment) ask yourself if what you are going to say is true, is kind, is necessary, is helpful. If the answer is no, maybe what you are about to say should be left unsaid." - Bernard Meltzer 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/20/2023 at 1:59 PM, Packard enthus. said:

You lost me.  Thought I explained my Packard Twelve is a Packard Twelve.  I never lied to you..never tried to pass my Packard Twelve off as a Jaguar.

For those who do not know,  Packards are American cars - Jaguars are English.   Big difference - for example,  American cars use Mazda-related electrical systems.....meaning...Delco or Auto Lite (Owens in the earlier ones).  (Mazda is the Greek god of light).    British cars have Lucas electricals - the British god of darkness.......!

There are multiple conversations taking place in this thread. With 10 pages anybody can comment or quote about something that happened earlier. Sometimes this can be hard to follow. Thanks for sharing your Packard. I started this thread to be fun and to share what and where you are driving.

• Like 4

I went to get my mom to go for a ride today.  Absolutely gorgeous fall day in New England.   I motored up a 30% grade in 3rd gear no problem.  Pulled in to my mom's house, car sat for 30 minutes.  Started right up, but when we got a ways from the house I realized the car had no power.   I'm thinking maybe we lost a bank of cylinders or a vacuum leak started from nowhere.    Managed to limp back to the garage with it.

IMG_3239.jpg

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I went to get my mom to go for a ride today.  Absolutely gorgeous fall day in New England.   I motored up a 30% grade in 3rd gear no problem.  Pulled in to my mom's house, car sat for 30 minutes.  Started right up, but when we got a ways from the house I realized the car had no power.   I'm thinking maybe we lost a bank of cylinders or a vacuum leak started from nowhere.    Managed to limp back to the garage with it.

IMG_3239.jpg

Keep us posted as you trouble shoot/diagnose.   

• Like 2

On 9/25/2023 at 6:47 PM, Paul Dobbin said:

Saturday I led a short 65+ mile tour south into Georgia to Lakemont GA.  A small community that time has passed by on the Old Historic U.S. 441 South.   We drove through Clayton GA, Tiger GA and nearly to Tallulah Falls to a private collection.    A nice building full of Corvettes and GM muscle cars & trucks.  All very nice, plus a Model A Roadster Pickup and a 34 Ford Pickup.    

I led in our 35 Buick followed by a 1924 White Bus  (Yellowstone Tour Bus), a 33 Buick, a 35 Ford V8 Fordor, a big 36 Packard sedan, a 51 Ford Victoria, and a 67 Chrysler 300  2DHTP. 

We enjoyed a nice Cars & Coffee breakfast of sausage & biscuits & pastry.   Good conversations while enjoying another man's collection in a fabulous new building.   Lunch was pulled pork, chips and soft drinks.   As we were preparing to leave, a all original, but repainted 1937 Pontiac arrived.  It had a sign in the window,   (For Sale 1937 Pontiac,  one family owned for 3 generations)   A nice looking black car with a nice interior and ran very quietly as we all admired it.   It was Glidden Tour ready too.  It SOLD immediately at an undisclosed price.   We then headed back north to our mountain homes, with some of our group stopping for a Car Show in Clayton GA. and the Yellowstone Bus went on to Cleveland GA for a Truck Show.    As usual, I failed to take any pictures.   

A beautiful day for a ride in the country.   I even spotted a restaurant to go back to on another ride in the country, when we have more wives with us.  Only half the wives went this time because we left so early.

And all day the little one of yours says....

image.jpeg.ecc5bd98fbcdcf3aec79da882df205f6.jpeg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Pfeil said:

And all day the little one of yours says....

image.jpeg.ecc5bd98fbcdcf3aec79da882df205f6.jpeg

My VW Bug like that has been  idle since I got my new knees. 4.5 years ago.  I wish  could take it to the party.

My restored beetle with radial tires is my a High Performance German Sports Sedan on our mounain roads!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

My VW Bug like that has been  idle since I got my new knees. 4.5 years ago.  I wish  could take it to the party.

My restored beetle with radial tires is my a High Performance German Sports Sedan on our mounain roads!

When I saw that ad and then the post you made, I just had to post the picture.😉

On 10/1/2023 at 11:57 AM, alsancle said:

IMG_3239.jpg

I am reporting you to the Packard Twelve Worship Society.   Packard Twelves are not allowed to cause trouble.  Is it possible a Lincoln KB or Cad. 452 owner snuck into your garage?   Or maybe a vengance-driven Fierce Sparrow owner who tried to keep up with you on a hot day...?    Please report your findings in detail!

PACKARD COLORADO 2.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

What picture?

When you mentioned you took the Buick out, I thought of you and your Beetle. So, I dug around and found that VW ad that looked somewhat like your VW.

The beetle was all alone at home and the Buick went out to play.

8 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

We have an original paint  (sea green) early 60s bug in our town; spoke w owner once or twice about it but he hasn't firmed up a price.  No idea where we would put it but that is a detail for later... 😁

Be prepared. For some reason they will grow on you.

• Like 1

Cooler weather arrived today, (52 degrees this AM)  Took the Silver Buick to a Cruise-In, in town on Main Street.  Over 100 cars there for a children's charity, lots of nice cars in 13 classes.    Went to lunch at the Motor Company

Grill up the street with a bunch if friends, then left to pick ups some dog food and missed the awards presentation.    A friend called later an said we had won Best of Show, which I didn't believe until another neighbor brought me a "Best of Show" bowling trophy with an old car on top.   A good day followed by he an I spending an hour on  his car, then a hour on one of mine.    We ended the day with a cold beer and a good feeling about what we accomplished.   What a Hobby!

WORA88061.JPG.69f7de6ba661730782ca211b83742471.JPG

Edited by Paul Dobbin
Reposition text. Why does this happen? (see edit history)
  • Like 5

The silver Buick is a handsome car. It looks like it was in good company. I envy you being in an area where you can pull together a 100+ group of cars for a main street cruise in. Where is Main Street?

Phil

10 hours ago, pmhowe said:

The silver Buick is a handsome car. It looks like it was in good company. I envy you being in an area where you can pull together a 100+ group of cars for a main street cruise in. Where is Main Street?

Phil

Franklin NC, 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Swear57 said:

Just got back from taking both the Buicks for a nice fall drive. Nothing far, just fun.

IMG_0036.jpeg

IMG_0037.jpeg

IMG_0035.jpeg

I love the Maroon & Black Buick!   Painted my first 34 Ford those colors in 1972.   I'd love to drive yours on a Heritage Tour,

or own one like it for touring.   I've heard they can be very dependable old cars.   

• Like 2

I sold my 15 Model T almost 40 years ago and have missed the Brass era tours all together.   The oldest Buick I've owned is my 35.

The oldest car I ridden in is a 1909 Stanley/  The oldest one I've ever purchased and driven is a 1913 T.   Had aa 15 Grant Touring that

never got done.   But I've ridden in a 1913 Overland 640, amd a 13 Dorris Touring.   Waiting for a ride in Ross Walkup's 1905 Queen.

Had friends with 13 & 14 Buicks and Cadillacs, but never owned or drove one.   At 78, there's still time, I hope..

• 2 weeks later...

43 degrees this morning here in New England.  Slightly overcast.   Typical November day.   I did 50 miles with no roof or windows and I think open top driving season is offically over till the spring.   Still hoping to get some miles on my Stearns but that has a roof on it.

IMG_3554.jpg

• Like 6

53329532093_0cb95ed398_c.jpg2023-11-13_08-55-00 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

53327311545_77ae5a2626_c.jpg2023-11-12_10-04-56 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

A bit chilly yesterday morning but my son and myself headed out to the local cars n coffee. Last weekend was nicer and a big crowd. Not many cars yesterday, depending on the weather we will likely head out next Sunday but may be the only ones there! All in all its a pretty nice, leisurely drive in the country side. Pic is travelling across the Conowingo Dam.

• Like 6

After having spent the weekend (& part of Monday) fine tuning & road testing the rebuilt Cord 812SC transaxle & its electrical and vacuum controls, I decided to play hooky today.

Started around 6 am by taking the Roadster out to the gym and going for a swim for about an hour and half, after which drove her back home to have a light breakfast.

Then we (the Roadster & I) ran around town for couple of hours to take care of some non-work related errands.

After these errands, decided to drive her to the base of some nearby hills, parked and spent couple of hours hiking in this balmy & sunny +/-80 degree weather.

Then “we” went for a nice steak & shrimp fajitas lunch and now she’s chilling on the driveway, while I’m enjoying an “Eldorado Margarita” and a tasty cigar.

Just saw what looked like a prewar Cessna cruise overhead.

Not a bad way to spend a Tuesday in mid November.

340E8F48-F69A-4E1C-9038-DD85932A027E.jpeg

1C2FEE91-BE34-42A1-A38C-5BFD72BD9C05.jpeg

870A27BA-EE73-417D-BDC2-B31930BEA9A9.jpeg

838690CF-B78C-42B9-88F5-CEF464A20A6A.jpeg

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 5

It was getting dark, but looking at my work schedule and weather over the next few days I decided to take a short run through town and I took a quick picture before pulling back into the garage on what I fear could be the last drive of the season. 

49329016-7ECD-4EE9-88CE-94E89911A3FE.jpeg.308b61451b23dd40f64b66320174fe6b.jpeg

• Like 10

On 11/14/2023 at 6:27 PM, TTR said:

After having spent the weekend (& part of Monday) fine tuning & road testing the rebuilt Cord 812SC transaxle & its electrical and vacuum controls, I decided to play hooky today.

Started around 6 am by taking the Roadster out to the gym and going for a swim for about an hour and half, after which drove her back home to have a light breakfast.

Then we (the Roadster & I) ran around town for couple of hours to take care of some non-work related errands.

After these errands, decided to drive her to the base of some nearby hills, parked and spent couple of hours hiking in this balmy & sunny +/-80 degree weather.

Then “we” went for a nice steak & shrimp fajitas lunch and now she’s chilling on the driveway, while I’m enjoying an “Eldorado Margarita” and a tasty cigar.

Outstanding! Sounds like a great day.

On 11/14/2023 at 6:27 PM, TTR said:

That is awesome.   Do you have a copy of the new transmission book?  There is a section in there on how to shift properly.  For example,  never pre-select 1st or R.  

How fast did you get going?    I find the 812 SC to very comfortable at 65mph.  

Also,  not a roadster!    Correct terminology is "cabriolet"  and you will hear people say "sportsman" but they don't know any better.

• Like 2

Seems AJ hasn’t updated us with what went wrong with his Packard. So, I thought I would post a few comments on what’s wrong with it……..see photo below.

List of needed repairs critical to enjoying the car:

Remove the ridiculous white wall tires…………..enough said.

Remove those ridiculous spotlights on the side of the windshield………. Enough said.

Fix the running problem……….easy for me, not so much for him.

Drive the hell out of the car…………

IMG_1661.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

That is awesome.   Do you have a copy of the new transmission book?  There is a section in there on how to shift properly.  For example,  never pre-select 1st or R.  

How fast did you get going?    I find the 812 SC to very comfortable at 65mph.  

Also,  not a roadster!    Correct terminology is "cabriolet"  and you will hear people say "sportsman" but they don't know any better.

This endeavor of rebuilding/repairing the Cord transaxle and its external operating controls has been very interesting and educational project to say the least.
I can fully understand why they (the brand/manufacturer) didn’t survive.

Yes, I have “that” book and copies of factory service bulletin compilation, owners manual and some Jim O’Bs tech articles, etc, most of which I acquired before commencing the work.

I’ve (test) driven the car at various speeds (up to about 75-80 MPH) and testing different shifting techniques, but I agree the 60-65 MPH being very appropriate, comfortable and relaxing for highway use.

Also, the “Roadster” I was referring to is my Plymouth PB (included in last three photos, but due to low resolution almost impossible to see, especially in last two), not the Cord. 😉

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

Outstanding! Sounds like a great day.

Yes, it was.
Just wish I could spend more time enjoying similar activities and more often, ...

...  but with a shop full of projects and more on a waiting list, days like that are a rare treat. 😉

Recently found apprentice/assistant appears very enthusiastic, eager to learn and has other promising character qualities. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, edinmass said:

Seems AJ hasn’t updated us with what went wrong with his Packard. So, I thought I would post a few comments on what’s wrong with it……..see photo below.

List of needed repairs critical to enjoying the car:

Remove the ridiculous white wall tires…………..enough said.

Remove those ridiculous spotlights on the side of the windshield………. Enough said.

Fix the running problem……….easy for me, not so much for him.

Drive the hell out of the car…………

IMG_1661.png

When it gets hot one of the condensers dies.  We think.  Have not replaced them yet.   Maybe we need a thread on the trade off between a 1.5 mf condenser and a 2.2 and why would we not always put in the 2.2?

I have the original wheel disks.   Note there are no pilot rays.  The only battle I won.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

When it gets hot one of the condensers dies.  We think.  Have not replaced them yet.   Maybe we need a thread on the trade off between a 1.5 mf condenser and a 2.2 and why would we not always put in the 2.2?

Overheating condensors are the bane of the Model A ignition system.  They are largely universal from what little I know about them. A&L parts used to make a nice heat resistant unit, I wonder what other applications it would work for...

Love this thread and may actually find time to contribute this weekend, foliage will likely be on the ground though..

• Like 2