1929 Studebaker President 8 Roadster

Touts

I am a new member after recently acquiring what I believe is a factory 1929 Studebaker 8 Roadster.

My extensive search has not resulted in finding any factory RHD models of this model.

Could anyone identify the origins or  any information relating to this vehicle ?

FABFDE4F-0691-409A-866D-1D1476F586B7.png

• Like 5

Touts,

You need to tell us where you are and how you came by the car.............

"Extensive research " ? = where, how, when, who ?

We would love to help, but right now we are flying blind.............

Mike in Colorado

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Few more pictures of the Studebaker President Roadster. 

Sold at an auction at Robertson, NSW, Australia for AUD$40,400 on 23rd February. 

Was told by a Stude guy that if you ever get the chance to buy a President, do it, because the chance will never come again.

122135121_StudebakerRoadster.thumb.JPG.9870b2d5d66081c753b3f06592c9c153.JPG1801755469_StudebakerRoadster4.thumb.JPG.b080342a2db6e14a4911a9437c2a66df.JPG

Studebaker Roadster2.JPG

Studebaker Roadster3.JPG

Studebaker Roadster5.JPG

Studebaker Roadster6.JPG

Edited by Ozstatman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thank you for your promo reply Mike.

The car was purchased at a NSW Australian estate sale.

From limited unconfirmed information found in the vehicle it appeared to be previously purchased at a January 1997 historic motor vehicle auction in the USA and obviously imported into a RHD country, Australia.

I’m confused specifically about its factory RHD origins knowing it may have been purchased in the LHD USA.

It would be of great interest to me if I could obtain how many RHD Studebaker President 8 were ever made as early pre 1930 Studebaker information is limited here.

Regards, Frank

Thanks Ozstatman for the additional photos that’s great news.

Do you have any additional information on its RHD origins as I have not been able to locate any chassis information ?

Frank 

Frank,

Sorry, all I know about Studebakers is the photos I take of them.🤔

Have you contacted the local Stude clubs? They may have someone knowledgeable able to advise?

Studebaker Car Club of NSW

Facebook - Studebaker Car Club of Australia

Studebaker Car Club of Queensland

Studebaker Car Club - Newcastle

Try them all. I think there are more too.

Edited by Ozstatman (see edit history)

Thanks Ozstatman for the additional photos that’s great news.

Do you have any additional information on its RHD origins as I have not been able to locate any chassis information ?

Frank 

Yes I am intending on contacting and joining a local Studebaker club  in due coarse as I believe there is a wealth of information available from justifiably passionate people.

I also thought and was told Ozstatman, that it was a 1928 model however the information I obtained in the vehicle as previously noted, identified it as a 1929 model.

The engine number, that is not available to me right now,  that I obtained from the engine block near the fan was also on the paperwork located in the vehicle.

I’m not sure if there is any difference 1928/1929 model.

I am optimistic that the specific information I am trying to obtain, that is the origins of the factory RHD can be obtained from the USA and is still a mystery to me.

I am taking this pandemic opportunity to restore my sanity as well as the Studebaker.

Thank you for your contributions, Frank 

Frank,

All the best with the restoration of the roadster. To my untrained eye looked like it was mostly all there and in a reasonable condition too. Undoubtedly the  of the auction, it was the only one to get a round of applause at the fall of the hammer! Of course,  it didn't have much to beat, many of the other lots were little more than piles of rust. Speaking of which, a guy in our Packard Club bought the two '34 Packards and took them back to Adelaide. Photo shows the two squeezed onto the one car trailer!

Two into one!.JPG

• Like 1

Lot #152   1929 STUDEBAKER PRESIDENT 2 SEAT ROADSTER

BARRETT JACKSON CLASSIC CAR AUCTION 1997

Lot    152
Year    1929
Make    STUDEBAKER
Model    PRESIDENT
Style    2 SEAT ROADSTER

VIN    10336
Exterior Color    TWO TONE BLUE
Interior Color    
Cylinders    8

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1929-STUDEBAKER-PRESIDENT-2-SEAT-ROADSTER-59106

Thank you for sharing that.

Human passion comes in many forms.

I would greatly appreciate any input from passionate Studebaker people both in Australia and the USA in an attempt to fill in some history related to this vehicle.

Frank 

Mike has great fully found information that coincides with the information that I found in the vehicle.

Thank you CC for your contribution. I did not know Argentina was a RHD country.

I couldn’t understand what I bought as the car did not appear to have any issues associated with being driven is cold RHD countries that use salt on their roads during winter.

Thank you both for your contribution.

frank 

Your best source for pre-war Studebaker information is the Antique Studebaker Club here in the U.S.  Check their on-line site, post your questions there.  Studebaker, like most all American car makers then, had an active export operation that built cars equipped specifically such as RHD for countries where that was the requirement.  Hope this helps.

Great find! I own a 1931 President Four Season roadster, currently on display at America's Car museum, but I can't even get in to see it, because the museum is closed. Try moving your thread to the Studebaker portion of the AACA forum.

If the car was a 1928 I believe that it would have a 121" wheelbase, but I believe that your car is a 29. In those years changes and even model designations were made without any deference to calendar years.

16 hours ago, Ozstatman said:

Frank,

All the best with the restoration of the roadster. To my untrained eye looked like it was mostly all there and in a reasonable condition too. Undoubtedly the  of the auction, it was the only one to get a round of applause at the fall of the hammer! Of course,  it didn't have much to beat, many of the other lots were little more than piles of rust. Speaking of which, a guy in our Packard Club bought the two '34 Packards and took them back to Adelaide. Photo shows the two squeezed onto the one car trailer!

Two into one!.JPG

The metal side mount spare  tire cover(s) are pretty cherished items

I would contact BARRETT JACKSON who sold it at auction in 1997. They would have some information in their files. Who owned it at that time, what the known history was. Usually they know to what country it was sold when new. Ask them to look up lot #152 at their 1997 auction.

Lot #152   1929 STUDEBAKER PRESIDENT 2 SEAT ROADSTER, BARRETT JACKSON CLASSIC CAR AUCTION 1997

Barrett-Jackson Auction Company, 15555 N 79th Pl, Scottsdale, AZ 85260,   Phone: (480) 421-6694

This car was originally made in America and was bought from Barrett jackson in 1997 by a collector, its obvious that it eventually got shipped to Australia and then someone switched the Steering Column and clutch/brake to right hand drive. Simple as that. This was never originally a RHD car.  Here is why I say this. If this car had originally been made as a RHD car, the fold down door tool compartment that you see on your cars inside passenger door would be on the drivers side. This was a feature which was on the drivers door not the passengers. The same thing goes with the golf door. This would be on the passenger side not the drivers side. Same goes with the step plates for the rumble seat on the bumper and fender, these go on the passengers side not the drivers side. The brake/tail light would be mounted on the drivers side not the passenger's. Additionally the emergency brake handle is always on the opposite side of the stick shift away from the driver, another indication your steering column was switched over to RHD.. Other than your steering column and brake/clutch pedals being on the right side, the rest of the car is setup as it would be for a LHD car. If your car had been a factory RHD car all these features I Just mentioned would be opposite where they are now. Additionally you have a lot of other incorrect things going on with your car. Your dash is incorrect. This is the Dash out of a 1929 "FE" model car which was the large Studebaker on a 135" wb. Studebaker never put the dash with the 5 instument cut outs (which was for including a clock in the "FE" Presidents) in the smaller 125" wb models. You do not have the larger President headlights which would have had a red and green side jewel on the headlights sides, your are Commander. Also, what is commonly referred to as 1st and 2nd series 1928 Studebakers would have had a rounded radiator shell much like a Chrysler of the time with an Atalanta goddess radiator cap, you have the Model A style squared off radiator shell that was late 1928 into 1930. (The 1928 cars with this style shell were considered by the Studebaker factory at the time as being 1929 Models even though the came out in late 1928) also with this style radiator shell Studebaker had designed the headlights and cowl lights to have a small wing at the top of each light bezel, with a matching winged radiator cap. Also, the oversized Studebaker radiator emblem that is on your car is incorrect. That is not the correct one for your car and looks to be a much earlier one. The aluminum plate that is on your firewall is not original and I dont even know where the heck they got that from. What should be there is a small aluminum plate about the size of a business card with raised numbers on two lines. The top row would have something like FHR-2 as an example and below that would be a 2 or three digit number. And your exhaust manifold is incorrect for a President 8 motor. If this actually is a 1929 President it should be 125" wheelbase, if its 120" then you have a commander and everyone is just assuming it is a President because of that incorrect aluminum plate someone stuck on it which is not original to the car. My guess would be it may very likely be a 1929 Commander Roadster not a President unless you have the large data plate on the left front frame with the correct 7 digit number corresponding to the President production numbers, have the engine numbers and can confirm the wheelbase measurement. But besides all that, everything else on the car proves it originally came out of the factory with LHD.

Edited by 29StudiePrez (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Hi, thank you for your detailed information.

I have now quickly run a tape and measured the wheelbase.

The measurement is E 131 inches.

I need to absorb all the new information however It initially makes sense that the Golf stowage door and access steps be on the passenger side. 

This information allows me to think about what restoration level and direction I need to carry out.

I am now planning on going over the vehicle in the morning with all the new forum information great fully provided and think about what I want to do with this very cool looking car.

My initial purchase thoughts was only to get it running “Really” good mechanically and as original as possible cruising around and enjoy it about town.

Now with our country going into Covid-19 lockdown I’m now looking at the Studebaker to save my sanity as well,  as previously mentioned.

On another,  yet very important for me note,  it would be difficult for me to move on without having a couple of missing parts replaced.

The “Two”  items I’m psychologically struggling with is the very cool “Headlight Bar with the number 8 on it” ....  if it is correct of course as I have now sourced the correct lights .... I think . 🤔

The other is the “Radiator Cap and Emblem“ .

If anyone could help me obtain them or provide information about them, I would be forever grateful.

Frank 

Frank,

In order to get the correct wheelbase measurement you need to have someone hold the tape measurer in the center of one hubcap to the center of the other hubcap. There is no way you should have gotten a measurement of 131" . Or did you mean to say 121" wheelbase? In 1927-1932 Studebaker made two sizes of Presidents. None of which are 131 inches.

The "8" bar or which was also referred to as a "Badger Bar" ran between the headlights. If you found a pair of President lights for sale which still have the "8 bar" in between I would suggest you find out first what model you do have.

Is there a large serial number data plate still riveted on the left front frame behind the wheel? If so can you tell me what 7 digits it says. Also what does the numbers on the front of the engine near the fan say? And is there another data tag on the firewall anywhere? Also where are you located? The car as we know was sold at Auction in NSW Australia but you never said if i and you are still in Australia or it was shipped to another country.

Most importantly, before yoy start buying part for it you need to verify exactly what year and model you have. Because right now your wheelbase measurement isn't adding up to any Studebaker Model built between 1927 and 1932.

Edited by 29StudiePrez (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Frank,

In looking further at your car, the rear section of the body behind the doors is not consistent with the factory bodies. The golf club door is up close to the door jamb and should be sitting back closer towards the rear fender. The platform area between where your rumble seat door closes and the edge of the top would be is too wide. In addition to that, the rumble seat lid is wider than normal and there is supposed to be a secondary lid that opens up which you don't have. Which means that if the car is sitting on a 131" wheelbase frame, which Studebaker didnt make in those years, this would explain why there is a wide platform area between the rumble seat and top lip, the incorrect style golf door and its location on the body which is extended to be on a 131" frame. None of this adds up, and it makes me wonder what frame this is on? Because at this point it would appear the body has been lengthened to fit the length of the frame.

You need to do a lot more digging to figure out what you actually do or dont have. Attached are some comparison pictures of 1928 - 1930 President Roadsters so you can see what Im referring to vs your car. 

roadster.jpg

Screenshot_20200322-041636_Samsung Internet.jpg

er23.jpg

1930-Studebaker-President-Roadster-4.16.17-59-700x450.jpg

1930-Studebaker-President-Roadster-2.15.18-08-700x450.jpg

Screenshot_20200322-040501_Samsung Internet.jpg

1930-Studebaker-President-Roadster-4.16.17-39-700x450.jpg

Screenshot_20200322-044244_Samsung Internet.jpg

er22.jpg

Screenshot_20200322-040801_Samsung Internet.jpg

1930-Studebaker-President-Roadster-4.16.17-53-700x450.jpg

• Like 1

Hello, it is late in the evening here in Australia 🇦🇺 where the car is located .

I have self quarantined myself after returning from overseas.

I am currently living alone and have no one to hold the other end of my tape so I have photographed me measuring it to ensure that I’m doing it correctly. Apologies for the quality however I will take better photos in the morning .

I thought the numbers didn’t match what I was being told .

The lights I purchased did not have the Badge Bar or 8.

There is No identification # plate on the chassis on The frame under the LHS front guard that I can see.

The number that is located on the engine top behind the fan is 

FB 10336

I bought a book that lists a 131” wheel base chassis but it not a roadster like mine . (Picture included)

I would like to identify what model I have as you rightly pointed out as to not purchase items that don’t match the car. I would like to keep it as original as possible.

Regards, Frank

CA55309B-BA62-44E0-8EFB-4AFA8F7DBAB7.jpeg

9B41B354-E2A3-4A1B-AA68-4646F9AAD4E5.jpeg

4C25E453-E2AF-4556-A727-1A6DD6B84B04.jpeg

54EDB08F-EA58-4252-A747-ED47E989F7C6.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Frank,

So the book I went to reference what model you might have based on wheelbase since you dont have any i.d. tags on it apparently had a misprint and on the beginning page describing the two different size Presidents said the "FA" President had a 135" wheelbase and the "FB" President had a 121" wheelbase. This obviously was an error in the book because on all the subsequent pages it references the "FA" President with a 131" wheelbase. As you can see by the attached pictures. Even though I was unable to find any pictures of a 1928 "FA" President Roadster, there was a picture of the "FA" touring which you can see has the same style beltline as yours, and there is a picture showing they made the President in sporty models in both sizes as seen in the picture describing Cabriolets in both wheelbases. However in 1929 they changed the wheelbase for both Presidents to 135" and 125" but only Tourers and Sedans were built on the larger frames and the Roadster was only built on the 125" wheelbase frame.

So with that being said, and with the engine number starting off with "FB" it looks like you have a 1928 "FA" President Roadster which has all the features of the 1929-30 styling. So you would have had the winged radiator cap, cowl ans headlights with the "8" badger bar. 

FB_IMG_1584882208215.jpg

FB_IMG_1584882212211.jpg

FB_IMG_1584882216803.jpg

• Like 2

Here is a pic of the winged design was that should be on your radiator cap, cowl and headlights. There are two different sizes, the President cap is larger than the Commmader and Dictator so make sure you buy the right one. (One just sold on Ebay for $65) Also the President's have a green and red jewel on the side of the headlights to represent Port and Starboard on a ship. Same reason you have those round lights on your running boards. One should have geeen glass in it and one on the other side in red. If you are missing one these are also on Ebay. There is a winged cowl light on ebay for $50 and the radiator emblem that I posted a picture of is what you need. The spokes in the wheels are red, the commander and Dictator, and I believe for 1930 had different colored spokes. 

Screenshot_20200322-060834_eBay.jpg

20191003_122158.jpg

• Like 2

Please post a photo and all the casting info on the cars steering box. If it’s a 1929, it will have a Gemmer 205 series box. 

Fascinating bit of "Sherlock Holmes" going on here, wonderful to see so many willing & helpers advisors, and good to finally hear the owner likely does have a President Roadster, and most likely a pretty rare survivor. I note the variations mentioned re rumble seat, golf door etc, are there any existant 28 President Roadsters that match the body details of the subject car? I.e. any fully restored "correct" cars?

• Like 1

Yes I agree with what you have written as I have scoured the web for weeks now.

I want to say that I am not in anyway an authority on Studebaker’s. I’m just a car guy with a deep passion for cars and stuff. 

The photos you have sent are of models that I have seen but not the same as mine.

The rear is not the same as mine.

I have seen cars with a similar... but not exactly like mine.

I have seen both models on the web.

I will attach a photo that is common on the web that I love and that appears to be similar to mine , especially in the back section.

To be basic, one model of President Roadster cars seem to have  “Bump” in the back and the other doesn’t which led me to believe that mine may have been a very early model different than the model you are referring to.

I believe that my model is , or I would like it to be the same as this one  with the Pagoda in the background. 

Yes I agree with what you have written as I have scoured the web for weeks now.

I want to say that I am not in anyway an authority on Studebaker’s . I’m just a car guy with a deep passion for cars and stuff. 

The photos you have sent are of a models I have seen.

The rear is not the same as mine.

I have seen cars with a similar... not exactly like mine.

I will attach a photo that is common on the web that I love and that appears to be similar to mine , especially in the back section.

To be basic , one model of President cars seem to have a “Bump” in the back and the other doesn’t which led me to believe that mine may have been a very early model than the model you are referring to.

👌🏻 

D737B2B3-33E3-4A23-9594-02A288DA44CA.png

1C5EF854-EFEF-46E5-BD72-CE15FEF55603.jpeg

29644ED4-F415-4BB1-A4CF-CCA19249C6D5.png

F598A179-9D8F-4251-BA2E-91032C3B0300.png

9223DCD2-E454-4D16-9D0B-C5B7D3CB29CD.png

The subject car is rather interesting, as it sure seems likely it has been extensively modified. Usually modified bodies look poorly done, this is not the case on this car. The construction around the rumble seat lid looks rather poorly done, yet overall the car looks good. What ever the car was and now is, it’s going to be an interesting story. Overall the car has a very nice look. 

• Like 3