Touts

1929 Studebaker President 8 Roadster

I am a new member after recently acquiring what I believe is a factory 1929 Studebaker 8 Roadster.

My extensive search has not resulted in finding any factory RHD models of this model.

Could anyone identify the origins or  any information relating to this vehicle ?

FABFDE4F-0691-409A-866D-1D1476F586B7.png

• Like 4

Touts,

You need to tell us where you are and how you came by the car.............

"Extensive research " ? = where, how, when, who ?

We would love to help, but right now we are flying blind.............

Mike in Colorado

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Few more pictures of the Studebaker President Roadster. 

Sold at an auction at Robertson, NSW, Australia for AUD$40,400 on 23rd February. 

Was told by a Stude guy that if you ever get the chance to buy a President, do it, because the chance will never come again.

122135121_StudebakerRoadster.thumb.JPG.9870b2d5d66081c753b3f06592c9c153.JPG1801755469_StudebakerRoadster4.thumb.JPG.b080342a2db6e14a4911a9437c2a66df.JPG

Studebaker Roadster2.JPG

Studebaker Roadster3.JPG

Studebaker Roadster5.JPG

Studebaker Roadster6.JPG

Edited by Ozstatman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thank you for your promo reply Mike.

The car was purchased at a NSW Australian estate sale.

From limited unconfirmed information found in the vehicle it appeared to be previously purchased at a January 1997 historic motor vehicle auction in the USA and obviously imported into a RHD country, Australia.

I’m confused specifically about its factory RHD origins knowing it may have been purchased in the LHD USA.

It would be of great interest to me if I could obtain how many RHD Studebaker President 8 were ever made as early pre 1930 Studebaker information is limited here.

Regards, Frank

Last lot of photos and link to auction Site  which has a few more photos.

And Frank, glad you bought the Studebaker, one of the guys bidding against you ended up buying my Packard after the auction!

Studebaker Roadster13.JPG

Studebaker Roadster14.JPG

Studebaker Roadster15.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks Ozstatman for the additional photos that’s great news.

Do you have any additional information on its RHD origins as I have not been able to locate any chassis information ?

Frank 

Posted (edited)

Frank,

Sorry, all I know about Studebakers is the photos I take of them.🤔

Have you contacted the local Stude clubs? They may have someone knowledgeable able to advise?

Studebaker Car Club of NSW

Facebook - Studebaker Car Club of Australia

Studebaker Car Club of Queensland

Studebaker Car Club - Newcastle

Try them all. I think there are more too.

Thanks Ozstatman for the additional photos that’s great news.

Do you have any additional information on its RHD origins as I have not been able to locate any chassis information ?

Frank 

Frank,

I was also told it was a '28, but what do I know? 😉

Yes I am intending on contacting and joining a local Studebaker club  in due coarse as I believe there is a wealth of information available from justifiably passionate people.

I also thought and was told Ozstatman, that it was a 1928 model however the information I obtained in the vehicle as previously noted, identified it as a 1929 model.

The engine number, that is not available to me right now,  that I obtained from the engine block near the fan was also on the paperwork located in the vehicle.

I’m not sure if there is any difference 1928/1929 model.

I am optimistic that the specific information I am trying to obtain, that is the origins of the factory RHD can be obtained from the USA and is still a mystery to me.

I am taking this pandemic opportunity to restore my sanity as well as the Studebaker.

Thank you for your contributions, Frank 

Frank,

All the best with the restoration of the roadster. To my untrained eye looked like it was mostly all there and in a reasonable condition too. Undoubtedly the  of the auction, it was the only one to get a round of applause at the fall of the hammer! Of course,  it didn't have much to beat, many of the other lots were little more than piles of rust. Speaking of which, a guy in our Packard Club bought the two '34 Packards and took them back to Adelaide. Photo shows the two squeezed onto the one car trailer!

Two into one!.JPG

I think I found the 1997 auction you mentioned.

Lot #152   1929 STUDEBAKER PRESIDENT 2 SEAT ROADSTER

BARRETT JACKSON CLASSIC CAR AUCTION 1997

Lot    152
Year    1929
Make    STUDEBAKER
Model    PRESIDENT
Style    2 SEAT ROADSTER

VIN    10336
Exterior Color    TWO TONE BLUE
Interior Color    
Cylinders    8

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1929-STUDEBAKER-PRESIDENT-2-SEAT-ROADSTER-59106

Thank you for sharing that.

Human passion comes in many forms.

I would greatly appreciate any input from passionate Studebaker people both in Australia and the USA in an attempt to fill in some history related to this vehicle.

Frank 

Sometimes old RHD cars come to the USA from Argentina. Like this Marmon phaeton. I saw it 4 years ago, and wonder what happened to it.   -    CC 

B92BACFE-AC91-45E2-A8A1-EDCDC1FE5D0D.jpeg

1FE7938F-67D4-4182-8E9F-89962643692A.jpeg

The 1997 auction should have more information available. I think when Barrett-Jackson sells a car at auction they include the history on it, to the extent that it is known. They often state where it was first sold new.

Mike has great fully found information that coincides with the information that I found in the vehicle.

Thank you CC for your contribution. I did not know Argentina was a RHD country.

I couldn’t understand what I bought as the car did not appear to have any issues associated with being driven is cold RHD countries that use salt on their roads during winter.

Thank you both for your contribution.

frank 

Your best source for pre-war Studebaker information is the Antique Studebaker Club here in the U.S.  Check their on-line site, post your questions there.  Studebaker, like most all American car makers then, had an active export operation that built cars equipped specifically such as RHD for countries where that was the requirement.  Hope this helps.

Your Studebaker appears to me to be a correct 1929 President. Did you measure the wheelbase? It should be 125 inch. PRICE: $1,875 new. I think 17,527 units made. Studebaker did not make President roadsters in the longer 135 inch wheelbase in the year 1929. 

Great find! I own a 1931 President Four Season roadster, currently on display at America's Car museum, but I can't even get in to see it, because the museum is closed. Try moving your thread to the Studebaker portion of the AACA forum.

If the car was a 1928 I believe that it would have a 121" wheelbase, but I believe that your car is a 29. In those years changes and even model designations were made without any deference to calendar years.

16 hours ago, Ozstatman said:

Frank,

All the best with the restoration of the roadster. To my untrained eye looked like it was mostly all there and in a reasonable condition too. Undoubtedly the  of the auction, it was the only one to get a round of applause at the fall of the hammer! Of course,  it didn't have much to beat, many of the other lots were little more than piles of rust. Speaking of which, a guy in our Packard Club bought the two '34 Packards and took them back to Adelaide. Photo shows the two squeezed onto the one car trailer!

Two into one!.JPG

The metal side mount spare  tire cover(s) are pretty cherished items

Posted (edited)

There were some pretty reasonable parts on the two '34's including a luggage rack!

34 Luggage rack.JPG

There was another president offered for sale about 7 years ago, I think it was out of Queensland - we inquired about it but from memory there were a few things that didn't quite add up