Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

8 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

.What is the big sedan on the right with the landau bars? - a Buick maybe?

It's a 1928 Hudson Super Six Custom 7-passenger Sedan, Model O which was $1,950 at the factory.  The body styling was by Walter Murphy Coachbuilders of Pasadena, California, famous for their Duesenberg J bodies, were also Hudson-Essex distributor for southern California.  The designs were then built for the production body styles by Biddle & Smart of Amesbury, Mass.  In the styling transition to the production bodies, Hudson and/or B & S personnel decided the typical low Murphy roof styling was too low and added three inches to the top height!  Still an attractive series, just not to the degree they could have been.

Taxis in Wellington, New Zealand - Thorndon Quay ca '34-'36 - crop.jpg

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

It's a 1928 Hudson Super Six Custom 7-passenger Sedan, Model O which was $1,950 at the factory.  The body styling was by Walter Murphy Coachbuilders of Pasadena, California, famous for their Duesenberg J bodies, were also Hudson-Essex distributor for southern California.  The designs were then built for the production body styles by Biddle & Smart of Amesbury, Mass.  In the styling transition to the production bodies, Hudson and/or B & S personnel decided the typical low Murphy roof styling was too low and added three inches to the top height!  Still an attractive series, just not to the degree they could have been.

Taxis in Wellington, New Zealand - Thorndon Quay ca '34-'36 - crop.jpg

Thanks. I should have thought of Hudson as they were popular as service and hire cars in the day. I think they must have sold quite a few of the B & S models here as there are several survivors - 

29 29HUDY Kallum Puklinski photo 1220.jpg

Thanks for the examples, gives us a chance to see how they differ from two body suppliers.  The maroon car has a body by Murray. iirc.  All doors hinged at the rear edge, full-door steel over wood frames, $1,450.  The off-white sedan has the Biddle & Smart body from the Murphy design: all doors hinged on the B-pillar, half-door steel over wood frame.  Windows are chrome-framed like convertibles, $1,950.

'29 Hudson Super Six Custom  - Murray body - crop.jpg

'28 Hudson Super Six Custom by Biddle & Smart a - crop.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Thanks for the examples, gives us a chance to see how they differ from two body suppliers.  The maroon car has a body by Murray. iirc.  All doors hinged at the rear edge, full-door steel over wood frames, $1,450.  The off-white sedan has the Biddle & Smart body from the Murphy design: all doors hinged on the B-pillar, half-door steel over wood frame.  Windows are chrome-framed like convertibles, $1,950.

'29 Hudson Super Six Custom  - Murray body - crop.jpg

'28 Hudson Super Six Custom by Biddle & Smart a - crop.jpg

Aha, I had obviously not studied all of the photos I have. Most were collected from local facebook pages. I can pick the standard body cars - also presumably on the shorter wheelbase - but there appear to be variations in the custom series models - 

First one has a custom bumper?? The third one looks good on wires. I presume the car in the last modern photo was a standard car which has had its frame extended when it became a hearse.

To keep some older era context the last photo was taken about 100 miles south of here in the 1950s. I can only assume the car has survived.

28 CHU334 Colin Medd photo Kaikoura 1220.jpg

28 IVMIKE Napier 2008 Nigrl Flkr plate on Daimler 0819.jpg

29 HN1929 Hudson B&S body GPS56 Flkr orakei Akl 2014.jpg

29 SUPA6 Hudson B&S VERO 2006 Ross Frater photo fb 0721.jpg

29 Palmerston North David Young photo 1120.jpg

53 Sth Cant Rex Brown photo fb 090719.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Seems to be that the lamps and the horn are all painted not polished, most interesting. I have seen period photos of this happening before but not very often. Hubcaps are polished or possibly plated.

• Like 2

Much better look, thanks.  I wondered if this might possibly be F.I.A.T.  Those cowl mounted lamps must have made the vehicle look quite imposing at night.  I've seen similar cowl lamps on other cars from that era, but not often.

This photo is from the 1906 Glidden and shows a Pope Hartford being driven by Wilbur C. Walker.  I believe he was treasurer of the company.  A decade later when the company was no longer making cars, Walker owned a Packard, a first series twin six that survives.  Looks like a Peerless is behind him.

54.jpg

• Like 1

Can anyone ID the gorgeous town car in the 1935 movie with Clark Gable? The title was “After Office Hours”, see the 11:36 mark. Has triple cowl vents and suicide doors with three hinges. Wish we had a better shot of it. 

Can’t post screenshot from phone, will try and update when I get home later today if needed. 

https://m.ok.ru/video/276415711907

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

23 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Can anyone ID the gorgeous town car in the 1935 movie with Clark Gable? The title was “After Office Hours”, see the 11:36 mark. Has triple cowl vents and suicide doors with three hinges. Wish we had a better shot of it. 

Can’t post screenshot from phone, will try and update when I get home later today if needed. 

https://m.ok.ru/video/276415711907

Either a checker cab or a made up hollywood car.

CheckCabMaybe.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

A photo from Dayton - the Ohio one I guess. What is the low roof circa 1933 coupe on the right?

May be an image of outdoors

The car behind it is a 1929 or 1930 Chevrolet coach.  The cowl lights are different for both years and were factory accessories.

Capt. Harley

"Back in the day Men were Men, Women were Women, Cars were Cars and everybody liked it that way."

18 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Aha, I had obviously not studied all of the photos I have. Most were collected from local facebook pages. I can pick the standard body cars - also presumably on the shorter wheelbase - but there appear to be variations in the custom series models - 

First one has a custom bumper?? The third one looks good on wires. I presume the car in the last modern photo was a standard car which has had its frame extended when it became a hearse.

To keep some older era context the last photo was taken about 100 miles south of here in the 1950s. I can only assume the car has survived.

28 CHU334 Colin Medd photo Kaikoura 1220.jpg

28 IVMIKE Napier 2008 Nigrl Flkr plate on Daimler 0819.jpg

29 HN1929 Hudson B&S body GPS56 Flkr orakei Akl 2014.jpg

29 SUPA6 Hudson B&S VERO 2006 Ross Frater photo fb 0721.jpg

29 Palmerston North David Young photo 1120.jpg

53 Sth Cant Rex Brown photo fb 090719.jpg

A synopsis of the information found in two books:  The History of Hudson by Don Butler and The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805-1942, Edited by Kimes and Clark.

Correction: Production bodies were by Briggs Body Co., not Murray Body Co. as faulty memory misremembered...

The short-lived Hudson Super Six Custom program on the longer wheelbase series were only 1927-1929 model years.  They had added a single brougham by Biddle & Smart halfway through the 1926 season.    Hudson management added a fine selection of semi-custom body styles from a variety of coachbuilders for 1927: Anderson, Pioneer, Griswold, Biddle & Smart, Murphy and LeBaron.  In the case of the last two, some few sample bodies were built by those two high-profile builders, which were very costly, then the design was built by the less-known coachbuilders on a lower cost, series-custom production basis.  Oddly enough, until 1929, bumpers weren't standard factory equipment, but a dealer-installed accessory.

Hudson, same as a number of its medium-priced competitors, was anxious to cash in on the apparent prosperity of the late 'roaring' twenties economy.  In order to appeal to this step-up in price and prestige, new hood, radiator shell and headlight styling, four-wheel brakes, 18" wheels, the Super Six engine changed to the F-Head configuration increasing the rated horsepower from 76 to 92. All while adding a lower-priced 118" wb Model S to the 127.375" wb now Model O Custom.  This continued for 1928 O and S but again with new styling in the LaSalle idiom, while broadening the Model S body selection with lower prices.  

For 1929, the Model S became Model R on 122.5" wb with a wider selection of standard Briggs and Murphy-designed, Biddle & Smart-built styles.  The big news was the Model O became Model L on a 139" wb, all but the 7-passenger phaeton were built by Biddle & Smart, three priced above $2,000.  These were promoted not as "Super Six" but now as "The Greater Hudsons".

In an abrupt turnaround, for 1930, Model T, 119" wb replaced Model R, Model U, 126" wb replaced Model L and the old F-Head Super Six was gone, replaced by a 213.8 c.i. straight eight that was essentially their Essex Six with two cylinders added!  Prices plummeted from a high of $2,200 for the 1929 Model L 4-passenger dual-cowl sport phaeton by Biddle & Smart to $1,295 for the 1930 Model U 7-passenger sedan by Briggs.   These were promoted as Hudson Great Eight which was something of a misnomer...

Hudson and Essex, largely on the sales of the latter, had ranked third in overall industry sales for 1929.  It was the last year that would occur.  Positioned better for the hard economic times, the disappointingly small straight eight was enlarged to 233.7 c.i. for 1931 and finally settled on 254.4 ci for 1932 which would continue until 1952.

Pose a simple question, get a dissertation...
Steve  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We checked in to an ancient hotel in Frome, England in Somerset county, England where I spotted a large photo of the hotel in previous times. As there appears to be a Ford Consul in the photo, it might be from 1950. However, there are pre-war cars in the picture, maybe Jaguar SS sedan and some other car with landau bars. The vans may be post office vehicles. Tonight, we took a picture of the same scene.  The George Hotel and the other buildings on the main street look much as they did 70 years ago

This is a fun town to visit, not far from Stonehenge and Longleat wild animal safari park. 

25751EBD-CFA2-40C2-BF3A-CF2D4B402C21.jpeg.1860676889e8f9fde910e8f424a41374.jpeg

Frome, England about 1950.  Several pre-war cars to identify. 

66FF8869-15B0-4D8E-9A72-33C088B53412.jpeg.5e0d9b8de5c1ea2511800ab19c239770.jpeg

Me at the George Hotel, Aug.  23, 2022.  The hotel is comfy, has a good bar and restaurant. 

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, twin6 said:

This photo is from the 1906 Glidden and shows a Pope Hartford being driven by Wilbur C. Walker.  I believe he was treasurer of the company.  A decade later when the company was no longer making cars, Walker owned a Packard, a first series twin six that survives.  Looks like a Peerless is behind him.

54.jpg

The one behind is a Stearns about 1906

I went back a couple of years and  notice John M posted several Tatra's but I don't recall seeing this one yet.

According to the Reddit poster:

"1914-19 NW Type T (Tatra 20) Luxury Limousine | Built in Kopřivnice, Czechoslovakia, 44hp 3.5L 4cyl"

rkGvde3eNnFwbYQR8OPml4j0uFsRzuTLUvDg_tjRCaE.jpg?auto=webp&s=cfeabf180265d2cadc854ca1e52fb9b4dba3bae4

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1