Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Posted (edited)

Neat photo of the Packard with the "wonky" right eye 🥹. The driving lights are factory authorized accessories in the accessory catalog for the 1930 7th series cars. Saf-de-lites, had the top left part with a plated shield covering part of the lens to direct the beam of light to the curb to see that easier. Those driving lights were at times fitted to earlier cars once they became available .

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

840235b0f8de9a7a6769132ea05d0517.jpg

What is it? On rail tracks using rubber tires?

Thanks, John Guitar! The beauty of internet. I posted the question exactly the same moment you responded it! Perfect coincidence!

• Like 1

Sticking with railcars for a moment....

Of all the McKeen cars, this one sporting finished rims up front is something I hadn't seen before on a railcar.

image.png.64c972e53aadf5ec811ce9db66275225.png

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, JRA said:

What is it? On rail tracks using rubber tires?

You probably already read it but for those that haven't clicked on the Wiki link that John posted above. 

(Although I don't see the aluminum safety ring or flange mentioned in the Wiki article in the photo above?)

EDIT: 
Looking closer, if we zoom in we can barely see the ring or flange on the inside of the wheel

image.png.2aa22d6874b3694c72ba08ac35c09d03.png

In 1929, Michelin built its first rail car, and by 1932 nine of its cars were in operating service, all of which featured innovative and distinctive pneumatic tires. The company claimed that its application of tires on its rail cars afforded both a substantially more cushioned ride and increased the cars' traction by 35%. The design of Michelin's tired wheels included an aluminum safety ring and a flange that were only used in the event of a puncture or other type of tire failure; during normal operation, only the rubber tire made contact with the rail.[2]"

More here

nine early rail cars by michelin - Search Images (bing.com)

RAIL-CARS ON RUBBER TYRES (railfan.net)

image.png.7dff8c8f0e3fa8b191d10a6d02cfdaf6.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Back on topic with another Duesenberg. Probably posted already, but just in case.

The early Duesenberg masterpieces never get old...

1921 Duesenberg Model A Belonged to the Same Family for Almost a Century (thedrive.com)

message-editor%2F1613255277795-duesenberg2ndgraf2.jpg?auto=webp&optimize=high&quality=70&width=1440

I think the "Samuel Northrup Castle" car is generally considered the most important Model A and probably the most attractive.  The strangest part is that it was the first car built.  I think still in the same family?

• Like 3

That large hp Renault touring converted to rail use is great but look beyond the car - what an outstanding house/structure - look at the masonry - the details around the windows. SUPERB. I have stated before that beyond the great vehicles all the other facets of the period photographs let us observe the "normal" happenings of a different era. Signs,street  lamp fixtures, lettering style, clothes, and as seen here great architecture and detail - not done in materials we have available now - aluminum, plastic, etc.

I wonder where that photo was taken??  How old was the big Renault when it was converted for rail use.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I think the "Samuel Northrup Castle" car is generally considered the most important Model A and probably the most attractive.  The strangest part is that it was the first car built.  I think still in the same family?

They very generously Donated to the ACD Museum. Here’s a good documentary on it. 

Absolutely amazing it’s from 1921

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

I wonder where that photo was taken??  How old was the big Renault when it was converted for rail use.

From what I can gather, the picture is of the first rubber-tired 1929 prototype, built by Marcel Michelin on a Renault 40CV chassis, and taken outside the tire plant rail depot in Clermont-Ferrand. So it would have been a fairly new car at the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1