Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

1 hour ago, 30DodgePanel said:

R.e3b793c129dc11496b7e47e0d7af2123?rik=ZADnbbej6PyaTQ&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.levyboy.com%2fCrossley+Motors.jpg&ehk=3fQGYKQe3AAYdGGsxUOmGsrHg6Mtc%2f7O9LwkrJhw6rY%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

For what brand are these bodies for?

• Like 1

I searched this period images thread, but to my surprise, no mention was ever made in regards to Daimler truck (that I could find).

Gottlieb Daimler built the world's first truck in 1896. How did it look? (mercedesblog.com)

Gottlieb Daimler was the one to build the world’s first truck. It was based on a converted horse-drawn goods wagon.

The motorcycle. The motorized trolley car. The motorized firefighting hose. And eventually the truck in 1896. The world’s first looked like a cart with an engine and without a drawbar. What set it in motion was a “Phoenix” engine with a displacement of 1.06 liters. Daimler linked it to the rear axle with a belt. The fuel consumption was of approximately 6 l/100 km. Two helical springs protected the sensitive power unit. A chain managed to seer the leaf-sprung front axle.

The seat for the driver was similar to that in a carriage. The technology back then previewed that of today. Therefore belt drive sent the power from the engine to a shaft fitted transversely to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle. There was a pinion at both ends. Each tooth of this pinion meshed with the internal teeth of a ring gear, firmly connected with the wheel to be driven. This is how the planetary axles of the Mercedes-Benz trucks, the current Arocs range included, have worked in principle.

Gottlieb Daimler decided to move the engine of the truck

In 1898, Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach found a better solution. They decided to shift the two-cylinder engine from the rear under the driver’s seat. Later on, it was relocated in the front of the front axle. It now developed 10 horsepower via a four-speed belt drive.

Gottlieb Daimler was extremely cautious prior to presenting the new truck to the public. The model therefore underwent a wide array of tests at a brick factory in Heidenheim. Daimler eliminated its shortcomings one by one.

The first order came from England, the home of industrialization back then. It reached Paris as well, later on, when Daimler presented his creation at the world exhibition in the Tuileries park. The Automobile Association of France’s event followed.  “Huge crowds of people, many vehicles of all kinds and our truck are very popular,” noted Lina, Daimler’s wife, in June 1898.

21C0185_01-1536x1013.jpg

Gottlieb-Daimler-truck-2.jpg

• Like 3

One can't help but wonder what the mural must have been like on this beautiful sporty wagon with new tread.

Every tire shop in the world could have a photo of something like these humble beginnings displayed in their lobby.

image.png.e21eb34044e658dc303aa16e98be6049.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

Stretched T.jpg

I bet that back seat was a wild ride on corners. Like the old whip ride in a carnival. Talk about the need for seat belts, forget their uses for collisions!!!

• Like 2

Model T open air bus - Perfect for the national Eastern annual Fall meet in Pa. Imagine the revenue that could be generated for a ride around in that even briefly, to sniff the aroma of chocolate in the air .  Yeah I have to many thoughts and ideas. 🤩

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Model T open air bus - Perfect for the national Eastern annual Fall meet in Pa. Imagine the revenue that could be generated for a ride around in that even briefly, to sniff the aroma of chocolate in the air .  Yeah I have to many thoughts and ideas. 🤩

Yes, especially on the corners getting whipped sideways and flipped out. Great way to give the first responders something to do. That's not a trailer, it's a ridgid extension.

Edited by hook
left out (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

I think it's a great idea and I doubt very seriously you'd need to worry about any of us gray hairs driving the crowds over 5 mph or getting "whipped and flipped". :) 

I love the idea... I hope to see it in my life time.

I think crowds of families would have great memories of it and if anything just to say they rode the thing. Could create revenue with t-shirts and so forth... endless opportunities.

We can't always live our lives in fear of what someone will sue us for. Hell, I'm sure a governored speed is even an easy solution to resolve any concerns. Then there's the concept of added suspension to help prevent such a risk.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Probably staged, but still a cool photo. 

Though it's said that Joan Cuneo (pictured) was an amateur racer who maintained her own vehicles.

Classic Speedsters – the book, pt. 1 — ClassicSpeedsters.com

image.png.ad1b65ac02ff523afe187af92aa0febc.png

Here she is at the Algonquin Hillclimb with her mechanic Louis Disbrow

image.png.2786e498b6c110217ed287652b2f5cca.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 9

16 hours ago, JFranklin said:

A photo of my grandfather camping in the desert.

Giddings Photos camping.jpg

Neat photo showing this Buick hard at work towing a trailer. 1925 Buick Model 40 2 door sedan.

Below:

John Scheib and Jessy Morton at the 2011 BCA meet. Dispay of cars restored at Jessy's shop.

5ad63e28f22bf_070811bcadanversma(8).thumb.jpg.26b8a2ba18fe2a75f8ce607edb25c1971.jpg.613a958977bd3e77f9f7163b920519d9.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Outstanding looking Buick 2 door sedan/coach. Love the colors too.  Great harmony of style and design - how the headlamps compliment the style of the radiator shell and the cowl lights echo the headlamps. Naysayers will probably question the white wall tires but to me the whole car "works" as a unit and the car does not have any added lamps etc to accent anything - doesn't need it. Thanks Larry.

Walt

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Wonder what model he's working on there? 

It would be neat if that still exists.

My guess is a 1930-31 Model A Ford Roadster with a 1932 radiator shell. Motor is either a Model A or B Ford with an aftermarket overhead valve conversion kit. Anyone recognize the make of the conversion? Judging by the amount of modifications on that Ford engine Robert was serious about his racing!

Howard Dennis

Just noticed what looks like a fuel pump blockoff plate so it has to be a Model B block. Like I said Robert wasn't fooling around!

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

This picture was for sale on Etsy with no information. Looks to me to be Japanese military headquarters in a foreign country late 1920's or 1930's. Anyone recognize the 3 cars of the same make on the left?

Howard Dennis

Screenshot2024-04-23225357.jpg.fb76165a2995e19a6406a0a96d965d3f.jpg

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hddennis said:

My guess is a 1930-31 Model A Ford Roadster with a 1932 radiator shell. Motor is either a Model A or B Ford with an aftermarket overhead valve conversion kit. Anyone recognize the make of the conversion? Judging by the amount of modifications on that Ford engine Robert was serious about his racing!

Howard Dennis

Just noticed what looks like a fuel pump blockoff plate so it has to be a Model B block. Like I said Robert wasn't fooling around!

Also no oil crossover pipe

• Like 1