Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

That Hispano Suiza at the Paris salon has a wood grained ( paint) hood and body. That was a new "fad" in that 1920s era but did not last as the cost and time to do so plus the ability to repair a scratch was difficult if not impossible.

• Like 1

Milestone - Thanks to all of you for supporting this thread /idea. I started it on March 12, 2020 and now 4 years and 2 weeks later it has been viewed over 800,000 times.

thanks to AACA for having these forums and being the champion of automotive history to bring it to the world.

Walt

• Like 10

My guess is the car could be a White - notice the stirrup /oval handles all around and that the rear door has no cut out to clear the rear fender/wheel arch .  Wire wheels on a formal enclosed perpendicular body style too. Painted everything - lamps, radiator shell, horn . No real belt molding under the windows nor on the cowl . Quite an impressive imposing  machine.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Walt G said:

My guess is the car could be a White - notice the stirrup /oval handles all around and that the rear door has no cut out to clear the rear fender/wheel arch .  Wire wheels on a formal enclosed perpendicular body style too. Painted everything - lamps, radiator shell, horn . No real belt molding under the windows nor on the cowl . Quite an impressive imposing  machine.

Shape of radiator shell looks like White, too.

• Like 2

Quite an elegant, imposing White Limousine.  This image shows there was a photographing or processing technique that faded the background around the subject which appears to have been popular then.

19-teens White limousine.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Quite an elegant, imposing White Limousine.  This image shows there was a photographing or processing technique that faded the background around the subject which appears to have been popular then.

19-teens White limousine.jpg

The light background is due to the high contrast of the shot. In order to bring out the detail in the car body the background gets blown out. This is still a problem with digital cameras and dark bodied cars. Back then if they were using orthochromatic film this would also happen with cars painted red or yellow. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, 28 Chrysler said:

I wonder what fuel that gas tank heater used, the wood in the box would not fit.

If the other end was opened with a door on it, the wood in the box would fit. One or two pieces at a time.

On 12/27/2020 at 8:12 PM, Walt G said:

This photo is of actor William Russell in the movie The Lincoln Highwayman which was a Fox Film production of 1919.

Car is a Stutz Bearcat of that era ( most likely 1918 or 1919 ) no note as to the name of the co star/ passenger. Note the cover at the body opening where one would climb over to enter/exit. also the step plate mounted there and the separate Stutz die cut emblem mounted to that same area . that extra step seems to be an accommodation for the canine passenger .  Actor William Russell passed away in 1929 of pneumonia.

StutzBearcat1920in movie001.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Walt 

I just discovered your post about William Russell in the Stutz Bearcat that you posted on Dec 20th 2020 - he was my great uncle and married to my great aunt , another Silent Star Helen Ferguson . I believe the dog in the car with him was called ‘Teddy Whack’ as not long after The Lincoln Highwayman he filmed The Valley of Tomorrow with Mary Thurman in the picture attached! I would really love to have a best scanned copy of your picture for my family collection if you are prepared to help ? My email address is lordofbaswich@nailcotehall.co.uk Hoping you can help me - Thank you 

Rick Cressman 

IMG_2211.jpeg

IMG_8653.jpeg

• Like 2

Portland, Victoria, Australia, December 1919.

Portland is a small town in the west of Victoria about 200 miles from Melbourne.

Some local history from Womens History Month - "

This is a great photo of Bentinck Street, Portland. You can see the London Cafe on the right, first opened by Josephine Annie "May" Jackman (nee Housen) in December 1918, ready for the summer trade. The Red Cross and Australian Comforts Fund received the proceeds of the opening afternoon.

May was the licensee of the neighbouring London Hotel. Born in Portland in 1885, May came from a hotel background, with her parents Samuel Housen and Jemima Broben, licensees of the Richmond Hotel, Portland. In 1908, May married Frank Turnbull of "Winninburn" near Coleraine. In 1910, Frank took up the license of the London Hotel, but he died the following year, leaving May with two infants. In 1912, she married Ebenezer Jackman and continued running the London Hotel.

When the London Cafe opened for the 1919/20 summer season, besides homemade scones, cakes, and chocolates, May had added an American soda fountain. By the 1920/21 summer season, May had married for a third time and opened the rooms as Mrs Playle. She promoted the fact her cafe operated on "...the American model, and always succeeds in attracting admirers of enterprising management, coupled with "a fair deal.""

May and her husband, Thomas Playle, later operated Mac's Hotel and the Club Hotel in Portland. They left in 1924, having purchased "Wickliffe House" in St Kilda. By 1927, the Playles were leasing the Melbourne Botanic Gardens Tea House, which they did for several years. May died in Toorak in 1970.

May's mother Jemima operated the Richmond Hotel, Portland until she died in 1931."

The care closest to camera looks to be an early Chev 490. I think the car behind it is something English. On the left, going by the fenders, is a Dodge.

CORRECTION - the closest car is also a Dodge.

May be an image of 5 people, street and text

Portland Vic crop.jpg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

Portland, Victoria, Australia, December 1919.

Portland is a small town in the west of Victoria about 200 miles from Melbourne.

Some local history from Womens History Month - "

This is a great photo of Bentinck Street, Portland. You can see the London Cafe on the right, first opened by Josephine Annie "May" Jackman (nee Housen) in December 1918, ready for the summer trade. The Red Cross and Australian Comforts Fund received the proceeds of the opening afternoon.

May was the licensee of the neighbouring London Hotel. Born in Portland in 1885, May came from a hotel background, with her parents Samuel Housen and Jemima Broben, licensees of the Richmond Hotel, Portland. In 1908, May married Frank Turnbull of "Winninburn" near Coleraine. In 1910, Frank took up the license of the London Hotel, but he died the following year, leaving May with two infants. In 1912, she married Ebenezer Jackman and continued running the London Hotel.

When the London Cafe opened for the 1919/20 summer season, besides homemade scones, cakes, and chocolates, May had added an American soda fountain. By the 1920/21 summer season, May had married for a third time and opened the rooms as Mrs Playle. She promoted the fact her cafe operated on "...the American model, and always succeeds in attracting admirers of enterprising management, coupled with "a fair deal.""

May and her husband, Thomas Playle, later operated Mac's Hotel and the Club Hotel in Portland. They left in 1924, having purchased "Wickliffe House" in St Kilda. By 1927, the Playles were leasing the Melbourne Botanic Gardens Tea House, which they did for several years. May died in Toorak in 1970.

May's mother Jemima operated the Richmond Hotel, Portland until she died in 1931."

The care closest to camera looks to be an early Chev 490. I think the car behind it is something English. On the left, going by the fenders, is a Dodge.

May be an image of 5 people, street and text

Portland Vic crop.jpg

The car in the foreground is also a Dodge Brothers. Check out the crowned fenders.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1