Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

11 hours ago, John E. Guitar said:

Agreed, here's a clearer detail image.

Fisk Detail.jpg

Great look at the top holder and strap.

No P in Pneumatic... much better without the silent letter.

Thanks for taking a second to post a higher quality view. Really shows how unique it was. 

The bubble effect in the F was a touch you don't often see.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Oh yeah.  Like the Davis for sale (way too high price!) in the "Not Mine For Sale" section? This car just oozes the roaring '20s!

Anyone know what the car is? Although, I am pretty sure I have seen this photo before, I cannot remember if the car was identified or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twin6 said:

Leach, made in Los Angeles.

Are there any surviving Leach automobiles? What year is the Gloria Swanson’s car in the picture?

Posted (edited)
On 4/12/2024 at 8:56 AM, twin6 said:

Leach, made in Los Angeles.

It probably has a body/fenders etc by Don Lee the coach builder in Ca. I have a sales catalog for both Leach and Don Lee here someplace. Yes, I know to much obscure stuff here.

Mundane, normal, what's dat?? 

Just ADDED the Don Lee coach builder material on April 15th, 2024. There is more to it but here is a sample. Would make a story for the AACA magazine but the word from the Editor is they  do not have the space.

DonLEEcover1920.jpg

DonLee1920clubcoupe.jpg

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 5

39 minutes ago, JRA said:

Would this picture be a movie scene?

I think every trip would be a potential movie scene, or at least an adventure. JRA.

Thanks so much Dave for making my life complete.

Something else to dream of seeing for real.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Great photo , a high wheeler with solid tires and a SIDE MOUNTED spare. Hey a candidate for CCCA!  All that it lacks is a Pilot ray light and a Lalique glass mascot.  But for CCCA the car would have to have the wood spokes chromed and white walls on both sides of the solid tire - could be a problem.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Does anyone know the location the photo was taken? I can't read the license plate to identify the state. Does the building still exist?  I agree with kar3515 that the brickwork is incredible ( my family were masons for generations) That is one of the added "neat stuff " factors about period photographs the architecture, construction, lettering on windows, vehicles and buildings etc. The whole spectrum of the era.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Notice how clean the place is! All workers wearing hats,  There are a few things in the floor on the left side . Large windows all around to let Natural light in

The Franklin factory in north Syracuse NY was the same, had huge skylights  at the center of the roof  in the north part of the building that ran east/west. ( Front of building faced East). and center of building was open to let the light from the skylights shine down. At the Franklin factory all the stair cases were tiled , even the floors to make a daily sweep/clean up go faster.  Yes, I was at that factory several times.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Notice how clean the place is! All workers wearing hats,  There are a few things in the floor on the left side . Large windows all around to let Natural light in

The Franklin factory in north Syracuse NY was the same, had huge skylights  at the center of the roof  in the north part of the building that ran east/west. ( Front of building faced west). and center of building was open to let the light from the skylights shine down. At the Franklin factory all the stair cases were tiled , even the floors to make a daily sweep/clean up go faster.  Yes, I was at that factory several times.

So true.

It was a universal thing at the time and still is for folks that don't like chaos and confusion.

Volvo by the way in case anyone is wondering.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Walt G said:

Does anyone know the location the photo was taken? I can't read the license plate to identify the state. Does the building still exist?  I agree with kar3515 that the brickwork is incredible ( my family were masons for generations) That is one of the added "neat stuff " factors about period photographs the architecture, construction, lettering on windows, vehicles and buildings etc. The whole spectrum of the era.

Salem Iron Works at Front and State Streets in Salem, Oregon. Demolished in 1977.

https://www.willametteheritage.org/carl-gerlinger/#

Salem_Iron_Works_1889_Front_and_State_Cronise_0177G007_s.jpg

Edited by John E. Guitar (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Metropole Hotel, Rue Lavaud, Akaroa, New Zealand, 1914. It burnt down in 1962. Just visible on the left of the photo is the roof of the courthouse. The site is now the carpark of the local supermarket.

I see a Siddeley-Deasy car on the left, and a couple of 1913-14 Cadillac seven passenger tourers.

14 Akaroa Metropole Hotel burnt down 62.jpg

Screenshot_15-4-2024_95459_www.google.com.jpeg

Screenshot_15-4-2024_95617_www.google.com.jpeg

• Like 4