Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Another one from a facebook page. The caption with it reads -

"Mrs. Charles Bell of Sarasota exhibits her 1892 Haynes 2-cylinder runabout at the Gay 90's Festival - Gulfport, Florida... Photographed on January 17, 1948."

I don't think the car is from 1892 and I don't think it is a Haynes. I think it more likely to be an early 20th century Holsman.

Seems it was common at the time to make old cars appear older than they really were. Even though I am sure in 1948 there would have been people still around who were there in 1892.

May be an image of 4 people, people standing and outdoors

6 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Another one from a facebook page. The caption with it reads -

"Mrs. Charles Bell of Sarasota exhibits her 1892 Haynes 2-cylinder runabout at the Gay 90's Festival - Gulfport, Florida... Photographed on January 17, 1948."

I don't think the car is from 1892 and I don't think it is a Haynes. I think it more likely to be an early 20th century Holsman.

Seems it was common at the time to make old cars appear older than they really were. Even though I am sure in 1948 there would have been people still around who were there in 1892.

I would say definitely a Holsman! They were famous for their distinctive "rope drive" system. If I recall correctly, they began manufacturing about 1902, being the earliest mass produced high wheel car to be fairly successful in the marketplace. They were produced until about 1910, longer than almost any other high wheeler, and they made quite a significant number of cars. High wheel cars such as this were a uniquely American style, popular with farmers surrounded by nasty country roads. The cars also appealed to farmers by being a familiar style to the wagons they had used for many years. Road and automobile improvements had helped enough that the high wheel automobiles didn't really offer any advantage by about 1910. Henry's model T was coming down in price, and offering a real value for the money! Only a few companies continued the high wheel style as late as 1912, most notably Sears and IHC.

In 1948, there should have been a lot of people that would still remember the Holsman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

1925-'26 Marmon 74

'25-'26 Marmon 74.jpg

According to SanDiegoHistory.Org it's

"Man in a 1925 Marmon, at Balboa Park 1930; by Nordyke and Marmon Co., Indianapolis, Indiana"

80:1653 | San Diego History Center (pastperfectonline.com)

There's a variety of incredible photos available to the public if someone wants to take the time to post them.

This Moon is just one example of what they have on their shelves in hiding:

s-1012.jpg

San Diego Automobiles - San Diego History Center | San Diego, CA | Our City, Our Story

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

1892?  That is a pretty rarified automobile date.  The mystery car appears more like a 1907 Holsman Model 3 runabout.  However the mystery car's wheels, especially the fellow areas, and the tire surfaces are not correct to a Holsman.  The wheels etc appear to be relatively modern "repro".  In addition the headlight lamps of the mystery car are different than a Holsman.

301443775_5463257140363784_3718921240507002389_n.jpg

07 Holsman Model 3 Runabout.jpg