Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

On 8/26/2022 at 8:01 PM, 30DodgePanel said:

image.png.153dc047d9d57b040628dae429141457.png

I bet this up-side down 1929 Model-A Ford "Tudor".  Is a Ford dealers idea of an advertising gimmick.  "A" Models are very rugged cars!🥰

Capt. Harley😉

Back in the day when Men were Men, Women were Women, cars were cars and everybody liked that way!

• Like 1

That appears to be a 45 horsepower Renault. In the late 1920s the large 45hp cars took on the names Nervastella and Reinastella. Both were 8 cylinder and were in competition with Hispano Suiza, and other luxury cars in Europe. Today they are virtually unknown to most people reading this . Their sales literature in color was incredible, full color, often in hard cover. It was very costly to produce and like the USA where few Packard sales portfolios were given out to any and all, Renault gave out that deluxe edition material to those they thought would be good prospects for a purchase of a car. It took me decades to acquire what I have - with help from a book scout /dealer who would attend car flea markets for me 45 years ago in Europe. The artwork is outstanding.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Walt G said:

That appears to be a 45 horsepower Renault. In the late 1920s the large 45hp cars took on the names Nervastella and Reinastella. Both were 8 cylinder and were in competition with Hispano Suiza, and other luxury cars in Europe. Today they are virtually unknown to most people reading this . Their sales literature in color was incredible, full color, often in hard cover. It was very costly to produce and like the USA where few Packard sales portfolios were given out to any and all, Renault gave out that deluxe edition material to those they thought would be good prospects for a purchase of a car. It took me decades to acquire what I have - with help from a book scout /dealer who would attend car flea markets for me 45 years ago in Europe. The artwork is outstanding.

Thank you Walt. As always, incredible input...

Surely you can't tease us like that now ;) 

How's about a glimpse into one of those rare snippets of artwork they provided?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Walt G said:

The 40CV Renault had a 9.1 litre six cylinder engine. Because of the way the hood lifts engine shots are not easy to get.

Renault 40CV - Wikipedia

This one in New Zealand, is as far as I know, still with the owner who restored it in the 1960s. My photo from 1980.

1980 Rotorua my photo.jpg

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Surely you can't tease us like that now ;) 

How's about a glimpse into one of those rare snippets of artwork they provided

Having computer issues today , hopefully solved by tonight with the help of my son when he gets home from work .

I can then choose something for all to see on the Renault period sales catalogs. Just don't want to stray from the "photographs" focus to get a lot of printed period images on this. We have all been fairly spot on target keeping it true to the title of the thread for the past 2 1/2 years -  wow its been that long - I wasn't this old looking when it started  ( ok stop laughing and thinking - yes you were!!!!!!!)
As mentioned I am much more comfortable with the printed page of a periodical to look at rather then a computer screen when it comes to images . I like holding a fine book or magazine to read and observe - yes I am old school, old fashioned and like old whisky of the Scottish decent  as my close friend Austin Clark used to describe it .

Alright. Here is what I could find , I know I have more. Most Renault deluxe color catalogs were printed in France by a company called Draeger. They also printed sales literature for other car companies as well as other businesses. Much of it was spiral bound or stapled to contain the pages and often hard cover as well. All of their catalogs are huge 10 x 12 , 10 x 13 and with the way they are bound not easy to get on a scanner without damaging the original piece of literature that is now 90 + years old. I like to share the images but not at the cost of destroying something that has survived until now! What you see is a "new 6 cylinder chassis" Renault printed catalog in France that was in English for the market sales /dealer in London, England and in the USA. 10 x 12 inches in size on a heavy non coated stock paper. their "Skiff" bodies on a short wheel base chassis.

The Nervasport is from about 1934 and is from a coated stock paper spiral bound catalog . with fold out pages . It had to cost a good deal of money to produce this item.  10 x 13 pages so what you see here is 13 x 20 inches.

I have other Renault literature but it is just to difficult to deal with, one is a hard cover sales catalog with metal cast badges at the front center of the cover!

As mentioned this is drifting a bit away from the photograph aspect, but even period photographs of the larger cars are not common.

RENAULT1927UKsales.jpg

IMG_2562(2).jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Approximate 1934 conversion rate was 15.15 francs per dollar, making Renault prices in the $2700 to $3200 range back then. A 1934 Ford convertible was about $575. Big Renaults were not cheap. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Gary_Ash said:

Approximate 1934 conversion rate was 15.15 francs per dollar, making Renault prices in the $2700 to $3200 range back then. A 1934 Ford convertible was about $575. Big Renaults were not cheap. 

That puts in into the basic V8 Cadillac price range.

1 hour ago, Jorge Amado said:

The Renault is a 1925 40CV (not 45CV), most likely with a body by Kellner.

https://blackhawkcollection.com/project/1925-renault-40-cv-cabriolet-de-ville-by-kellner-freres/

1925-Renault-LF.webp.d9a4a8b2828bd2399c46e95c6878668f.webp

3-6-26_Parc_des_Princes_concours_[...]Agence_Rol_btv1b53164428n_1.jpeg

45 hp (not CV) is the rating by the British (RAC) and American (ALAM) formula.

Renault 45 hp Technical Specs, Dimensions (ultimatespecs.com)

Tax horsepower - Wikipedia

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

One would NEVER think Renault produced anything like that after being in a Dauphine!!

Not that Renault ignored the high-end market, as they did show this V10 Williams-Renault powered Initiale concept in 1995:   https://www.motor1.com/news/145016/concept-we-forgot-renault-initiale/

Craig

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Walt G said:

Alright. Here is what I could find , I know I have more. Most Renault deluxe color catalogs were printed in France by a company called Draeger. They also printed sales literature for other car companies as well as other businesses. Much of it was spiral bound or stapled to contain the pages and often hard cover as well. All of their catalogs are huge 10 x 12 , 10 x 13 and with the way they are bound not easy to get on a scanner without damaging the original piece of literature that is now 90 + years old. I like to share the images but not at the cost of destroying something that has survived until now! What you see is a "new 6 cylinder chassis" Renault printed catalog in France that was in English for the market sales /dealer in London, England and in the USA. 10 x 12 inches in size on a heavy non coated stock paper. their "Skiff" bodies on a short wheel base chassis.

The Nervasport is from about 1934 and is from a coated stock paper spiral bound catalog . with fold out pages . It had to cost a good deal of money to produce this item.  10 x 13 pages so what you see here is 13 x 20 inches.

I have other Renault literature but it is just to difficult to deal with, one is a hard cover sales catalog with metal cast badges at the front center of the cover!

As mentioned this is drifting a bit away from the photograph aspect, but even period photographs of the larger cars are not common.

RENAULT1927UKsales.jpg

IMG_2562(2).jpg

E4D5D898-D265-41C4-94EB-7518216FF8C4.jpeg.e5dc03fdf54229cad34decb4b1d931fe.jpeg

Large Renaults are not known or seen in the USA, cost to much to import after the WWI conflict when the huge HP cars started to appear although there was an active Renault dealer in NY City. Brass era ones seem to be seen more because when they were new they were very sophisticated and owned by the wealthy. The Omnia magazine pages shared by Jorge ( thank you sir) is a periodical rarely seen anyplace, or known as a source for information by researchers and authors. High quality magazine that was a monthly from 1920 to 1934. I completed a article on it for the Society of Automotive Historians Journal that will be coming out hopefully before years end. It is a French language magazine about 60 pages , large with outstanding artwork on the covers. I first saw a copy at the library of Henry Austin Clark jr. ( now resides with the Henry Ford) when Austin told me "you have to see this". He knew of my great interest in custom coach building and had an incomplete run of about 30 issues. It made me determined ( no I don't read French) to have my own full run -

and I managed to do that with about 5 issues lacking. Took me over 2 decades to do with a book scout friend in Europe being my :seeker" at car flea markets there and the Paris flea market and Retromobile. Yes they take up a lot of space but the image/photographs are not found anywhere else.  The whole story in the SAH Journal.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 9:19 PM, 30DodgePanel said:

1925 Julian Coupe

large.jpg

Last week.......at Pebble.

IMG_7295.jpeg

IMG_7297.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Here's a better look at the Renault town car Jorge Amado posted:

Renault 45CV - 3-6-26_Parc_des_Princes_concours_Agence_Rol - a.jpg

The location is Parc des Princes in Paris. Concours events were held there for several years in the 1920s.  It looks as if they didn't bother scrubbing the tyres as is done nowadays.  There are many more photos on this site - 3-6-26, Parc des Princes, concours d'élégance [automobile, Pémartin,] carrosserie Kellner, Renault, hors concours cabriolets : [photographie de presse] / [Agence Rol] | Gallica (bnf.fr)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted on the aaca fb page by Dan Wells, asking what the car is. I reckon 1902-04 Autocar Type X runabout. I am sure that word on the sign should be 'tracts' and not 'tracks'.

May be an image of tree and road

May be an image of outdoors and text that says 'JBP'

This one is captioned 1902 - 

No photo description available.

An engine photo for reference - this one is '04 - 

No photo description available.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Walt G said:

Large Renaults are not known or seen in the USA, cost to much to import after the WWI conflict when the huge HP cars started to appear although there was an active Renault dealer in NY City. Brass era ones seem to be seen more because when they were new they were very sophisticated and owned by the wealthy. The Omnia magazine pages shared by Jorge ( thank you sir) is a periodical rarely seen anyplace, or know as a source for information by researchers and authors. High quality magazine that was a monthly from 1920 to 1934. I completed a article on it for the Society of Automotive Historians Journal that will be coming out hopefully before years end. It is a French language magazine about 60 pages , large with outstanding artwork on the covers. I first saw a copy at the library of Henry Austin Clark jr. ( now resides with the Henry Ford) when Austin told me "you have to see this". He knew of my great interest in custom coach building and had an incomplete run of about 30 issues. It made me determined ( no I don't read French) to have my own full run -

and I managed to do that with about 5 issues lacking. Took me over 2 decades to do with a book scout friend in Europe being my :seeker" at car flea markets there and the Paris flea market and Retromobile. Yes they take up a lot of space but the image/photographs are not found anywhere else.  The whole story in the SAH Journal.

Walt, how do I access a copy of your SAHJ article? The founder of Omnia magazine, Louis Baudry de Saunier, was an interesting guy. He wrote for a lot of different magazines including L'Illustration which I think is where the Renault photo posted by 30DodgePanel is from (3rd October 1925 issue).

I've got a bound set of Omnia covering 1906 to 1914. These are good for browsing although its easier to search the online copies at the French National Archive:

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k9803886z

The Journal isn't out yet, still in process I only emailed the story in this past week to the Editor. ( I will let all know when it is out)  My story focuses on Omnia from 1920 to 1934 does not cover the earlier era.

Very nice to read that there is someone else out there that knows what Omnia is ! As you mention L'Illustration is another fine fine French periodical that I have most of the "auto numbers" of.  In the USA society magazines like The Spur, Vanity Fair and The Sportsman had regular columns on the latest luxury cars in the 1920s , all printed on coated stock .paper thus the photographs are still very clear to view.  All huge size magazines that reflect the era they were printed in.

Walt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here are a couple of cars, probably British, in front of the Montagu Arms Hotel in Beaulieu, England about 1926. The right side of the hotel dates from 1887, the left side 1922-26, though there has been an inn of some kind on the site for the last 500 years. We’ve just spent two nights in the room on the 2nd floor, right side. About 2 miles away is the National Motor Museum with 285 cars. See my post in the Museums section of the Forum for info and photos.

B72443BA-E430-416D-A882-A4219A004046.jpeg.175e459d82db03001cff9bb797ff6963.jpeg

• Like 7

Renault race cars- Austin Clark had one and he and Ledyard ( Ledgie) Pfund of N.J. ( was an engineer for UPS) went in on it together to see it restored. Believe that it was painted blue when restored. Neat big old race car, and an authentic one as well . I saw it unrestored in a metal storage shed out at Austin's museum in Southampton.  To many stories of 50+ years ago.

19 hours ago, edinmass said:

Last week.......at Pebble.

IMG_7295.jpeg

IMG_7297.jpeg

Incredible current example! Thanks for posting recent photos.

Here's a good read from 2018 on Julian if anyone is interested. The electric boat concept must have been entertaining at that time in history.... ;) 

History Hits: 1925 Julian Sport Coupe – The Speed Trap

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)