Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

25 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

1909-10 Hupmobile 20 with an aftermarket Cambridge windshleld.

I think it looks more like a 1912 Metz. The Hupmobile radiator neck of the era are a lot taller. Here is the Metz....I see chain drive like the Metz on the car in question.

1912 Metz.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Christchurch, New Zealand, 1916. A Cadillac Model 53 'fresh out of the shop' having had its chassis extended and a new body made. Johnson and Smith was one of several body makers in Christchurch at the time, even though the city had less than 100,000 inhabitants.

It looks as if, once the top was up, getting into the rear seat may have been for the fit and able only.

No photo description available.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Christchurch, New Zealand, 1916. A Cadillac Model 53 'fresh out of the shop' having had its chassis extended and a new body made. Johnson and Smith was one of several body makers in Christchurch at the time, even though the city had less than 100,000 inhabitants.

It looks as if, once the top was up, getting into the rear seat may have been for the fit and able only.

No photo description available.

And the very young...

Great find by the way :) 

On 10/1/2022 at 10:05 AM, twin6 said:

waverly.jpg

The triple staggered parapet wall design has me curious as it seemed to be a classic design in garage architecture of the era. 

Does anyone know the reason behind the design? Without the side bracing it serves no structural advantage from what I can tell. I've always thought it was meant for signage, but I've noticed many structures (like this example) do not have signs in the open space of the facade other than small lights or small sign brackets protruding. 

Great photo and practical use of the spare tire storage. 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, twin6 said:

8.jpg

I am not absolutely certain, however, I think the Metz is a 1913 model "special roadster", a one year only model. The height of the rear deck is the detail confusing me a bit. A couple special roadsters I have seen pictures of had the rear deck a bit lower than this one. Most Metz roadsters had more of a low cowl than the special roadster and/or 1914's "speedster" model ("speedster is what Metz called their sporty no cowl car in 1914!).

The Cambridge windshield was offered as a factory option on all the Metz roadsters from 1912 through 1914. 

The restored car pictured above is likely a 1913 also, and has what appears to be an after-market windshield. The 1912 Metz had the shift control lever outside the body.

1 hour ago, 30DodgePanel said:

The triple staggered parapet wall design has me curious as it seemed to be a classic design in garage architecture of the era. 

Does anyone know the reason behind the design? Without the side bracing it serves no structural advantage from what I can tell. I've always thought it was meant for signage, but I've noticed many structures (like this example) do not have signs in the open space of the facade other than small lights or small sign brackets protruding. 

Great photo and practical use of the spare tire storage. 

The stepped configuration is known as a ziggurat, that dates back to ancient Babylonian temple towers with the upper stories stepped back.  For garages, it was a variation of the broad false front of the 19th century commercial architecture.  The ziggurat, being geometric, found popularity in Art Deco and Streamline Moderne architectural movements in the 20th century.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Dodge Brothers in front just after the name change from Graham Brothers on the E series trucks probably a 1929 model being used along with several other used brands (circa 1933 as per license plate).

image.png.537f22276ed066f2004fa86882c874a1.png

I believe you could still have a Graham Brothers badge - especially in export markets - on your Dodge if you wanted it but for how long I don't know.

58 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

I believe you could still have a Graham Brothers badge - especially in export markets - on your Dodge if you wanted it but for how long I don't know.

True, I doubt anyone knows for sure, the truck on topic does have the DB radiator emblem. 

To clarify for the viewers who may not be aware.

The sales dept and dealers were instructed to make the changes after Chrysler bought out Dodge and was phasing out the Graham Brothers name from the Dodge lineup, this included new Dodge Brothers emblems, badging and hubcaps but how long did it take to make all the necessary changes throughout the entire domestic and international pipeline is anyone's guess. Surely some of the Graham badges weren't caught as rapidly as one might expect.

Ahh the transition (confusing) years, you gotta love them.

DB Pics 8 T.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Farman are a fantastic car. I'd heard the name before but never read up on them until recently. 

I went back to see if there were any other photos in this thread and found John M had made several posts around pages 121-122. However, several of his torpedo photos are no longer visible, so I'm posting these again for viewers who may have missed seeing them earlier in the thread.

Farman Automobiles (velocetoday.com)

image.png.51970a0fff90e8824e18bbd76ee86737.png

image.png.5775a886c49fac6d741c6760100857f4.png

image.png.88ea98c9dfa7807e4fcd6e335bdb11ab.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Panhard et Levassor - not sure what model.

General Dubail (Military Governor of Paris) visiting the Russian Embassy in Paris - 22/05/1916

Réunis dans les jardins de l'ambassade de Russie, les députés français et russes se rencontrent lors d'une réception organisée en l'honneur des membres de la Douma venus en France. Le gouverneur militaire de Paris arrive à bord de son automobile de marque Panhard et Levassor Sans Soupape. 

99F19937-2CC4-4832-90D4-F80D029C9400.jpeg

• Like 1