Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

12 hours ago, edinmass said:

Ok......I would LOVE to make a comment of a political nature about this being someones new official ride.......but the photo is too good to have taken down.

Look close at the rear window and body. Name the coach builder

Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 3.15.51 PM.png

This looks to me like a 1929 Packard 640 - or maybe a 645 sedan, with a Dietrich body tag ( can't read it but it's the right shape just behind the sidemount.  Parabolic headlamps and cowl band mounted parking lights preclude '28 4th series or '30 7th series.  And of course someone modified for the rear view!

Ed's turntable photo got me thinking I've seen that background before - and sure enough - here it is again with a '33 PackardTwelve stationary coupe, with interesting leather top.   This must have been the factory photo studio.  Are those big black things above it the lighting rig?

packard_twelve_special_stationary_coupe.jpeg

• Like 1

It’s either the proving grounds or the factory. For some reason, I think it’s the proving grounds. I have photos of a PIERCE Arrow 12 and a V-16 Cadillac on that table. Packard bought the cars and tested them for comparison. I have the reports, they were fair, accurate, and scientific. Really well done, in detail. One Packard company comment on the Pierce Arrow.............”The car is very well done, as one would expect from the gentlemen from Buffalo.” It was nice to see a sign of respect to the competition........and their criticisms were fair also. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, HK500 said:

As long as we're on the movies - here are some well dressed people having a conference around a '36 Cadillac -  with a corrugated tin shed masquerading as an airplane wing in the background!

CharterPilotCaddy.jpg

As much as I want to believe what you are saying that's the only tin shed I've ever seen with an aileron and a fuselage? And when did tin shed's have to have NC registration numbers, just saying.

Howard Dennis

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HK500 said:

As long as we're on the movies - here are some well dressed people having a conference around a '36 Cadillac -  with a corrugated tin shed masquerading as an airplane wing in the background!

CharterPilotCaddy.jpg

2 hours ago, hddennis said:

As much as I want to believe what you are saying that's the only tin shed I've ever seen with an aileron and a fuselage? And when did tin shed's have to have NC registration numbers, just saying.

Howard Dennis

I am going with Howard on this one.

I am no expert, but I do know that the Ford Trimotor had corrugated aluminum on its wings and fuselage. From what I remember of pictures and having seen one in person many years ago, I believe that not only is that an airplane in the background but that it is probably a Ford Trimotor.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ply33 said:

I am going with Howard on this one.

I am no expert, but I do know that the Ford Trimotor had corrugated aluminum on its wings and fuselage. From what I remember of pictures and having seen one in person many years ago, I believe that not only is that an airplane in the background but that it is probably a Ford Trimotor.

Yep....

stuff 1275.jpg

• Like 3

There were actually a couple different airplane manufacturers that used corrugated skins on their airplanes. Fokker which the Ford tri-motor copied is another. Some were single engine and others tri-motors. The Fokkers first flight was Nov. 1924 where as the Ford was June of 1926. It's hard to tell from the photo which we are looking at. Below are the Fokker's in single and trimotor configurations. 

image.jpeg.1e1bdd9574c2336a71450ed9eb22d3e8.jpegimage.jpeg.8db53a234cc62c1eb1b967fce3a52f4b.jpeg

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I was in a Tri Motor Ford two years ago. The plane in the photo sure seems to me it is one......but I am not a plane guy.

• Like 1

Way cool! early cars and early aviation. Decades ago a group I belonged to here in NY called the Long Island Early Fliers Club would annually drive to the East end of long island to Riverhead to visit the large  Talmadge farm. John Talmadge had family roots there dating back to the Revolutionary war. I would drive out in my 1931 Franklin which pleased everyone as it was air cooled engine wise. All the members loved to view the engine, many being pilots who learned to fly in the pre WWII era. ( one or two were even wing walkers)

Anyway John would be giving rides in his open cockpit monoplanes / bi planes to a few people and I had the privilege of having the co pilots seat several times. It was great but I really wasn't to enthusiastic about when he would do a 'loop da loop" the 360 degree circle/loop. He made sure that I had my seat belt on and secure when he did that in an open cockpit airplane that was built several years before the Franklin I drove out there in. Ah the things one did in ones younger era.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Packard coupe roadster ( their description of the body style not mine) as pictured in April of 1929 . Body is German, built and designed by Heinrich Glaeser of Dreseden.

The hood was polished aluminum . Body color was blue-gray lacquer ( note that when the car was described when new they noted :lacquer" as lacquer paint was still a newer finish so far as paint goes.) Fenders , valances and top leather are black. Gray leather for rumble seat but gray cloth /fabric seat inside .Packard cowl lights but the headlamps are most likely Marchal.

There is so much stuff that has never been seen before all sitting in period literature, and periodicals . There is way to much stuff in my collection that distracts me every time I go to do some research on a subject , something else draws my eye and interest. You have no idea. 🙄

My trouble is I want to share it all, but it takes endless amounts of time to scan, resize, save and then reference. Finally post it here.

GlaeserPackard1929.jpg

• Like 8

A great photo - original source "Agence Rol, Bibliothèque Nationale de France" - of a Longchamps on a 100hp Itala at the Gaillon hillclimb in 1906. In the background is S F Edge's 1905 Napier.

The Itala was seventh overall and third in the Heavy Car class. The Napier was five seconds faster.

ant class Anthony R de Seta 100hp Itala 06 Gaillon.jpg

There is a surviving 1908 100 hp Itala whose 12 litre engine appears to be essentially the same - 

Itala-100-HP-1908-13.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oldcarfudd said:

They must have had to haul a trailer carrying King Kong, so they'd have a way to  start that beast.

I presume they may have push started it. I saw George Wingard's 1912 GP Fiat being started at way when it visited NZ more than 20 years ago. I have also seen photos of them being started with a near metre long crank handle which would do little more than just crank it over tdc.

4 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

I presume they may have push started it. I saw George Wingard's 1912 GP Fiat being started at way when it visited NZ more than 20 years ago. I have also seen photos of them being started with a near metre long crank handle which would do little more than just crank it over tdc.

This is the Wingard FIAT some time in the 1930's or 1940's with small wheels to fit the tires that were available at the time. Love this car. Bob 

c4xa23kdxcc0.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

This is the Wingard FIAT some time in the 1930's or 1940's with small wheels to fit the tires that were available at the time. Love this car. Bob 

c4xa23kdxcc0.jpg

Waterman's back then, at Raceland.  Makes me think of the old admonition not to overdrive your headlights at night.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, twin6 said:

Waterman's back then, at Raceland.  Makes me think of the old admonition not to overdrive your headlights at night.

There was a photo take from the other side in the very first issue of Automobile Quarterly with a new set of wheels in primer. I need to find another copy, mine got destroyed in a basement flooding. 

23 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

A great photo - original source "Agence Rol, Bibliothèque Nationale de France" - of a Longchamps on a 100hp Itala at the Gaillon hillclimb in 1906. In the background is S F Edge's 1905 Napier.

The Itala was seventh overall and third in the Heavy Car class. The Napier was five seconds faster.

ant class Anthony R de Seta 100hp Itala 06 Gaillon.jpg

There is a surviving 1908 100 hp Itala whose 12 litre engine appears to be essentially the same - 

Itala-100-HP-1908-13.jpg

The carbs are flipped from one car to the other.

• Like 1

Well I guess my Tin Shed comment about the Tri-motor wing in the background went over like a flying brick - I'm reduced to quoting Foghorn Leghorn - "I say it's a joke, son":-)    OK no joking around this time! - Taken at the 1911 International Aviation Meet held at Grant Park in Chicago.  My folks met the original photographer at this event, a Mr. Padgett, who was a neighbor.  Many of the famous aviators of the time attended,  and many of them didn't survive another year because of the inherent un-reliability of their aircraft was the story Mr. Padgett told.   The auto is really hard to identify, it has some sort of advertising banner on top of the hood. 

1911ChicagoInternationalAviationMeet.jpg

• Like 3

And here is Mr. Louis Pagett himself, at the wheel of his 1914 Cole.  His sister worked at the Renault Dealership in Chicago , which abruptly closed down under some financial cloud. So Miss Pagett got 2 Montaut paintings that hung at the dealership.  The one depicting the 1905 Renault Racer still survives intact and in the original frame!

1914Cole.jpg

• Like 4