Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

On 9/23/2021 at 11:06 AM, twin6 said:

Nicer snow, not New York but somewhere overseas. 

snow sedan.jpg

Anything that ugly and impractical has to be French.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, edinmass said:

Anything that ugly and impractical has to be French.

It's "practical", given the environment it has to work in.  Hood blankets and winterfronts do little to add to the appearance of any car.  Very rarely does one see winterfronts installed on a classic car at a car show.  It would be like the girl in that Cord ad shown here not long ago illustrated with a Covid mask on!.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

An interesting photo posted on an Australian historical facebook page - " 

Doing the block, Collins Street, Melbourne, ca 1914.

"Doing the Block" was an expression coined in the late 1800s for the act of shopping and promenading along a stretch of Collins Street in Melbourne, that included The Block and Royal Arcades. The place 'to be seen', it became a favourite afternoon pastime for many well-heeled Melburnians between the 1870s and 1918. It was famously satirised by the colonial artist ST Gill in his work 'Doing the Block".

The English writer Fergus Hume described this scene in "The mystery of a hansom cab", published in Melbourne in 1886:

"It was Saturday morning and fashionable Melbourne was "doing the Block". Collins Street is to the Southern city what Bond Street and the Row are to London…Portly merchants, forgetting Flinders Lane and incoming ships, walked beside pretty daughters; and the representatives of 'swelldom' were stalking along in their customary apparel of curly brimmed hats, high collars and immaculate suits."

I think the roadster at the bottom right of the photo might be an overland - by the 'bucket fill' radiator cap.

java Stehen Hands Collins St melbourne 14 maybe Overland.jpg

java Stehen Hands Collins St melbourne 14 maybe Overland (2).jpg

I have just posted a copy of this on the 'What is it' page.

A mystery coupe which had defied identification for some time.

20s autos Gino G coupe NY28 plate..jpg

EDIT - some more has turned up about this. It one of a series of cars built by ALCOA with extensive use made of aluminium in its construction. The engine was a four cylinder unit designed by Briton L J Pomeroy. Maurice Hendry wrote an article for SIA entitled 'Aluminium Heavyweights'.

Photos from the Free Library of Philadelphia.

May be an image of car and outdoors

May be a black-and-white image of outdoors

• Like 2

I agree with Wayne,

The car is very attractive. The crown to the top of the fenders, and then near by the reverse crown to the hood and radiator shell and the level/degree to the curve of the rear body section. The blank hood sides with lack of louvers or doors let your eye stay focused on the larger elements of design and no be distracted by a detail. The disc wheels also add to the whole value of a well thought out styling combination .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

I agree with Wayne,

The car is very attractive. The crown to the top of the fenders, and then near by the reverse crown to the hood and radiator shell and the level/degree to the curve of the rear body section. The blank hood sides with lack of louvers or doors let your eye stay focused on the larger elements of design and no be distracted by a detail. The disc wheels also add to the whole value of a well thought out styling combination .

Here is a Pierce Arrow from the same experiment. Even most of the driveline is aluminum. 

IMG_4336.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The ALCOA car's passenger compartment appears to be quite similar to a 1922 Dodge three passenger model.  The ALCOA car has a passenger side suicide door, and the length of the passenger compartment indicates it is not a standard two passenger coupe.  The '22 Dodge has suicide doors on both the passenger and driver sides.

The license plate on the ALCOA car shows "NY 28".  A search on the WWW shows that format is correct for a New York plate in 1928.  A 1923 Dodge coupe, shown in Clymer's Scrapbook, Number 8, page 168, shows a standard coupe body with rear opening door.

The single tail light mounted in the center rear does not appear to be legal on the street in 1928.  The gasoline tank cap is extra cool, similar to one seen on old race cars.  The trunk (boot) design is very nice, suggesting a Kissel Gold Bug influence.

ALCOA aluminum 01-03.jpg

22 Dodge Coupe 2 passenger 01-02.JPG

22 Dodge Coupe 2 passenger 02-02.JPG

23 Dodge Coupe Clymer Scrapbook Nr8 p168.JPG

ALCOA aluminum 03-03.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Walt G said:

I agree with Wayne,

Thank you Walt! Your artistic talents and years of teaching identified and expressed some of what I see in the car. 

9 hours ago, edinmass said:

Here is a Pierce Arrow from the same experiment. Even most of the driveline is aluminum. 

IMG_4336.jpeg

Very interesting. I think I can see some influence in there from the series 80 cars. It must have been quite the experiment to have custom built such automobiles. I may need to see if I can find more about it. 

Should I gather that the Pierce Arrow still exists? They did use quite a lot of aluminum in many of their cars. Were they directly  involved in the experiments and/or custom cars? 

Although the Pierce lacks their trademark front appearance, I still find that car quite attractive!

I have always been interested in one-off cars (even custom model Ts!), provided they look good and are appropriate to the era.

Looking over the aluminum coupe a bit more. I can certainly see the similarity to the Dodge three passenger coupe. A good friend fifty years ago had one of those Dodge coupes. A really nice car!

I really like the front fender style on the aluminum car. That 'clipped' style terminating sharply at the running board has always looked good to me. I tend to associate that with early 1920s Chandler automobiles. However, Paige and Jewett also used that style quite a bit in those years.

On 10/26/2021 at 6:48 AM, Walt G said:

I agree with Wayne,

I have no doubt in my mind ALCOA used this car as a marketing tool to push the advantages and ability of aluminum to be cast, formed and stamped into compound curves, shapes, etc.  Naturally, ALCOA would have wanted to make it aesthetically pleasing to the eye as well in order to sell the ideas to the various manufacturers and coachbuilders of the era to show aluminum construction can be beautiful as well as practical.

I wonder if ALCOA was probably the first to showcase a vehicle to push for materials other than steel for manufacturing cars.  In later years, Virgil Exner's 1965 Mercer-Cobra concept was backed by the Copper Development Association, and extensively used copper throughout for decorative applications besides electrical, and the one-off 1968 Lamborghini Miura roadster was used by the International Lead Zinc Research Organization (ILZRO) to promote zinc and lead for use in car manufacturing.

Craig

• Like 1

One from Ireland, posted by Matt Peterson - "Captain William F . "Bill" Peare (driving) was Ireland's automotive pioneer. He was the first man to import the automobile into Ireland. Many American makes were brought in, in pieces, and assembled in his shop. One of my good customers is Mr. Peare's son Noel and has entrusted me with many of these historic photos from back in the day."

I think this car is European from the circa 1906-09 era.

20s autos Matt Peterson.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/23/2021 at 9:20 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

Can anyone positively identify this deluxe town car delivery? 
It was posted on the oldmotor years ago. One poster suggested it was a 1929 - 1930 Cadillac metal and chassis?

image.png.23a798581fb88f61bbec9299124c9dd6.png

This is a 1929-30 GMC Fifth Avenue delivery. They also made town cars. I'm aware of no survivors. I suspect most of the town cars were used as taxis, which would explain why they didn't survive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

20s auto Davd Reddaway Bugattis.jpgIt would be interesting to trace the plates to see if these cars are still in the hobby. Bob

Too easy.......anything harder?

601A50B5-1F7E-479A-90F1-FFF0C19A6A08.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Rebodied, refendered and they added front brakes, Lincoln had an ax like that.  😊Bob 

Bentley, Rolls, Duesenberg, Packard, Bugatti........all of them have been “ridden hard and put away wet”. It ain’t real unless you can prove it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I tried for many years to find and get a 'plus-fours full suit' that would fit me. It was the ultimate in sportsman's wear in the 1920s. 

And getting appropriate socks isn’t easy either.

8 minutes ago, ply33 said:

And getting appropriate socks isn’t easy either.

I still have a couple pair of proper socks that I found almost fifty years ago. I had new old stock knickers (American for "plus-fours") that I wore for some old car events. Still have them, but they "seem to be a lot smaller than they used to be"? I think I may have one nice pair of knickers that I might still be able to wear. I have a few era regular suits that I can no longer wear. However, I was smart enough to also get a few era suits that were too large for me then that I can now still wear. I like to often look like I belong to my antique automobiles! I knew that stuff would become harder to find as time went on, so I bought them when I could.

• Like 2

Shrinkage of old fabrics is a common problem.  One time my wife accelerated the process by drying my custom made wool sweater in the drier.  I didn't know that wool could shrink THAT much and so quickly.

• Haha 1