Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

44 minutes ago, alsancle said:

sure looks like the M LeBaron that went to New Zealand last year.

Debatable via pretty close if not same.  Landau Irons could have been added later.   I recall something about car referring to it as a "Prince of Whales" and the car was divider windowed with I believe one jump seat (description states two). 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

A photo posted on a facebook page with no information. Obviously a modified Ford T. The radiator looks very Kissel-like but I guess it is an aftermarket unit for Fords??

Any thoughts on what the occasion might be  - and the date of the photo? The guys in jodhpurs suggests maybe late teens/early '20s?

It almost looks like a posed photo but I think it is 'just a street scene'. The car has obviously been in the mud, although the driver's and mechanic's overalls look to be quite clean.

Notice the spectators are all male.

May be an image of 2 people, people standing and outdoors

• Like 3

Very nice photo of the Model T racer.  Having seen a number of car accidents in the 20s and 30s, it is interesting the sizes of spectators who assemble.  One has to question whether the people didn't have anything else to do?  The race car in this photo apparently is equipped with a special race body.  The radiator shroud does resemble the same shape used on a Kissel, the inside engine compartment firewall is definitely not Ford, and the hood that the one fellow is holding up is not a Ford hood.  The left-side glass headlight lens also does not look like Ford issued equipment.

Interesting photo of the model T racing car! I wish I could see a few more pictures of this one. I can't see enough of the body to identify it, but it could be one of several. It appears to have a door on the mechanic's side, somewhat unusual in itself. Could indicate a Mercury body, they were one of the few with passenger side doors. However, I don't see the Mercury cowl vent, although not all Mercury speedsters had that. That isn't a usual Mercury radiator either. But it was easy enough to use some other radiator with a Mercury body if one wanted to.

The left front wire wheel doesn't look too good. A few missing spokes it appears. Something interesting on that front axle though. I don't recall ever seeing anything quite like it? It appears to be some levers, a rod, and springs connecting the front spring shackles? The setup doesn't appear to be a shock absorber per se. However it looks as though it may be some sort of anti-sway cushion? Model Ts with their crossways front spring, when pushed going around corners, tend to sway to the outside. If the car has factory Ford type steering, that sway to the side does seriously alter the steering.

I have driven model T speedsters and racing cars for many many miles. I never had a problem with their sway affecting the steering. But I have known people that were bothered by it. Some model Ts have Panhard bars/rods installed to stabilize the steering. This setup looks a bit more complicated, but interesting.

It looks like the car may have an over-head valve head on it, but with the exhaust run under the car as the standard model T did. I think I can see the back end of the manifold.

Looks like they were using conventional pots with some sort of compressor. I wonder what they used as guides for the stripes....

I think the one walking towards the camera was the spray man, notice his right boot is white.

Very interesting

a2005-001-1168-striping-paint-truck-on-se-hawthorne-blvd-east-of-49th-ave-1939.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 10/4/2021 at 5:33 PM, nzcarnerd said:

A photo posted on a facebook page with no information. Obviously a modified Ford T. The radiator looks very Kissel-like but I guess it is an aftermarket unit for Fords??

Any thoughts on what the occasion might be  - and the date of the photo? The guys in jodhpurs suggests maybe late teens/early '20s?

It almost looks like a posed photo but I think it is 'just a street scene'. The car has obviously been in the mud, although the driver's and mechanic's overalls look to be quite clean.

Notice the spectators are all male.

May be an image of 2 people, people standing and outdoors

Rad looks a lot like this aftermarket unit.

Accessories abounded, like these Champion radiators for the Ford model T speedster.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

1931 Amilcar

Forgive me if this has been posted already... 
I don't recall seeing it.

Anyone have a better photo of it from the Paris show?

Trying to see the ornament better.

image.png.7bc947c3364ef81c1ec4244913cbba6b.png

Here you go....here is one OFF the car....

Amilcar horse.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

Paige Larchmont.

Yes!  Late 1921 or 1922 by the drum headlamps, which replaced the bell-shaped units.  Mine has the same green, curved isinglass visor--which I have now seen on several of-the-era photos of Paige Larchmonts and Lakewoods (the latter is the 7-passenger touring), leading me to believe that it was a factory-authorized accessory.

• Like 3

Here's a Rolls Ghost Town Car, taken in Exposition Park in Los Angeles in 1930.  Rear brake only car, - pre 1925 -  so Thurston Howell the first must have been having a lean few years! Could that be him in the impossible social situation of driving his own car?  Lovey! Bring me a cocktail!  Drat this Prohibition!

RollsGhostTCExpositionPark.jpg

• Like 3

This is a Rolls Royce Factory photo - with a label on the back "PII Sedanca-de-Ville by Windover.  That's a pretty flashy design, with aero fenders, individual step plates, and those 3 chrome strips.  Are we sure it's a Windover?  looks French to me .

RollsPIIWindoverSedanca.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Wow, tough going with those photos.  I do not see a single Ford in either photo.

Third car up from the bottom left is a Ford T along with the car behind it in twin6 second photo.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Period motoring with little or no way to clear the windshield , a one man ( or two or three) man top , and most cars pictured even had front doors. That's a real wow-ser.

How any people here have ever had the opportunity to raise a top on a car from this era or lower one ( and still have all your fingers) or spend the time to light the gas headlamps or kerosene side or tail light?  It's been a while but I was on several Brass and gas tours of the Long Island Old Car Club , and it was fun but an indeed an "adventure" and this was even 35-40 years ago. Those brass lamps stay really hot even after being turned off/shut down.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Heres one for the strange and unusual. Anyone recall the name Linco?

Limco 1 (2).jpg

Limco 2 (2).jpg

That streamlined design is typical of many consumer goods manufacturer's commercial vehicles of the era.  It was gave excellent exposure, and was a good way to advertise their products before television came along.  Other examples include the 1939 Dodge Texaco fuel haulers, Miller 'High Life' beer trucks, Labatt's Brewing beer delivery trucks, and a host of others:  https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2007/11/24/where-did-all-the-streamlined-beer-trucks-go

Craig

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 8E45E said:

That streamlined design is typical of many consumer goods manufacturer's commercial vehicles of the era.  It was gave excellent exposure, and was a good way to advertise their products before television came along.  Other examples include the 1939 Dodge Texaco fuel haulers, Miller 'High Life' beer trucks, Labatt's Brewing beer delivery trucks, and a host of others:  https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2007/11/24/where-did-all-the-streamlined-beer-trucks-go

Craig

I do recall seeing those fuelers and ale trucks, but a observation platform for disinfectants? 
As you say, anything to attract attention I suppose...

Something tells me the fun wore off on the maiden voyage about 2 minutes in...

"Step right up and get your bleaches, deodorizers and disinfectants here!"

The platform would have been used at a trade show, or sometimes, when it was parked in a grocery store parking lot that sold the product.  The promoter would hand out free samples, and of course, advertise the benefits of the product, and how you couldn't live without it, and it was conveniently 'on sale' in the store.  

Craig

• Like 1