Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

On 8/31/2021 at 7:44 PM, nzcarnerd said:

Going through my files looking for something else I found this one on page 302 which I don't think was answered. The car is a Jordan though not sure which model.

It was that smaller 1927-'28 Jordan, Model R, 107"wb, 199 ci Continental six.  Promoted as the "Little Custom" for $1,695, it was an attempt at a compact luxury car, a concept not understood at the time.  The public regarded it as an overpriced small car, it failed miserably.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 1:18 PM, LCK81403 said:

Period automobiles apparently are off frame of this photo.  However, these locomotives were used quite a bit on the Pittsburgh Division of the PRR during WWII, the late 1940's into the early 1950's.  In the early 1950's they were sometimes double-headed with diesels.  They were not an uncommon sight at the PRR station in Pittsburgh.  Coming into the station on the commuter-run passenger trains, they were often seen being serviced in the station railyard.  The commuter "locals" were usually hauled by Class G-5s 4-6-0 steamers until about 1954 when they were replaced, almost overnight it seemed, by Baldwin "shark nose" diesels and diesel Alco RS-3's.

penn1280.jpg

Their biggest problem was wheel slipping when starting off. Either the front four or the rear four would break loose and spin like crazy until the engineer could bring it under control, thus the reason for double heading with diesels. The diesel would help on start up. Also with the two sets running independently they sounded totally out of balance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The lettering on the side of the panel van next to the 'opera' or 'coach' light is a metal casting , not painted. There was a company pre war that had on offer assorted scripted and block letter signs that could be attached to the side of the van and sent out flyers to show examples of their work and generate interest for a possible order/sale. Just saw this now at 9 a.m. - why can I think of minor details about vehicles like this and immediately recall what was done?  More minor pieces of the history puzzle that are floating around in my head and need to escape.

Does anyone know of a vehicle that still has these cast letters/signage on the side in existence? Can you post us a picture here?

Fairly soon this thread will be 1 1/2 years old , still seems a few of you like to look at what is posted and on occasion take the time to revisit 🙂 Thank you AACA for having these forums , to the moderators who put up with all of us and keep us civil  and focused . Guess this kind of helped us all to get through a very dire time in all of our lives health wise - old cars can do that, even photos of old cars. Thanks everyone. Guess the title really says what has happened for many of us.

Walt

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Walt G said:

The lettering on the side of the panel van next to the 'opera' or 'coach' light is a metal casting , not painted. There was a company pre war that had on offer assorted scripted and block letter signs that could be attached to the side of the van and sent out flyers to show examples of their work and generate interest for a possible order/sale. Just saw this now at 9 a.m. - why can I think of minor details about vehicles like this and immediately recall what was done?  More minor pieces of the history puzzle that are floating around in my head and need to escape.

Does anyone know of a vehicle that still has these cast letters/signage on the side in existence? Can you post us a picture here?

Fairly soon this thread will be 1 1/2 years old , still seems a few of you like to look at what is posted and on occasion take the time to revisit 🙂 Thank you AACA for having these forums , to the moderators who put up with all of us and keep us civil  and focused . Guess this kind of helped us all to get through a very dire time in all of our lives health wise - old cars can do that, even photos of old cars. Thanks everyone. Guess the title really says what has happened for many of us.

Walt

I was going to mention the raised lettering but didn't  think anyone would have an interest in it. Thanks for noticing it Walt... 

I have never seen another vehicle with these raised (cast) letters which is why I thought it very unusual. 

Thanks for yet another history lesson. :) 

Dave,

Regarding the raised lettering out of cast mental - small minor detail but is a part of the story of the vehicles of that era. Nothing like that was done for the decades to follow . It was a way to add a flair or a bit more class(?) to the delivery vehicle. Like the coach lamps, gave an "upper crust" touch . This was in an time immediately before the stick market crash - look at the dates on the magazine ads here as well. The " Great Depression " really did not take affect for most people until a year later, my grandfather saw that in his construction business, everyone then was sure it was just a brief hiccup .

The cars we love are a time capsule, are a rolling history lesson - about not only the vehicles but the roads, lighting of highways, street signs, etc. it all works together for the overall picture.

I not only look at it from the view of an auto history enthusiast but also from my deep interest as a appointed historian in N.Y. State of local history. 

Always happy to share a bit of observation ( my art teacher/historian brain is in Over Drive - always) to get people to notice things.

Walt

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oldford said:

Notice the Eagal shoe store to the right.

hotel marlboro `1.png

Not trying to be picky but I wanted to make note it does say Regal Shoes and it looks like some huge monster like figure is attached to the top of the sign?

A lot of these guys were (and still are) part of the masonic culture and were into Griffins and all kinds of weird creatures. So my guess is it's a Griffin. Just a guess though.

image.png.1363e914d14561b06106509804bfc777.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Not trying to be picky but I wanted to make note it does say Regal Shoes and it looks like some huge monster like figure is attached to the top of the sign?

image.png.1363e914d14561b06106509804bfc777.png

It's the back of an Anheuser-Bush sign.

Anheuser-Busch_logo.gif

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/29/2021 at 9:55 PM, nzcarnerd said:

I think this one might be an Oldsmobile. Not many cars used four door hinges.

6324852175_c4d019bca3_o.jpg

Here's a '26 Olds that I had back in the '70's. The lights look more like a '27 Chevy.

1926 Oldsmobile coach.jpg

• Like 1

The mention of the locations, the signs etc. all going beyond the vehicles that draw us to the photo to start with. That is what is just so fascinating to me about what we see here. It is our window not only into the history of what cars and trucks and trolleys were "then" but the names of the places, locations, buildings and their accessories. Notice at all the exterior shades, awnings on the sides of the multi story brick hotel, buildings etc.
It was the only way to keep direct sunlight out or possible cold air depending upon the season. No a/c but fans, hand held and sometimes ceiling if the electricity was working well enough. This car history we are looking for is also giving us a world view into everything else of a century ago. The black & white images just enhance that so and lets us focus more on the subjects not be distracted by color.

Again I want to  mention that the images are so clear because all of them were photographed using huge glass plate negatives that capture the details so well.

We all are getting history lessons from what we are observing here which puts it into a better perspective of that era. It is the whole "Images of the era" that are giving us a window to " help relieve some of the stress".

AACA Sunday school history lesson is now over - but not for to long! 🤨

WG

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Walt G said:

The mention of the locations, the signs etc. all going beyond the vehicles that draw us to the photo to start with. That is what is just so fascinating to me about what we see here. It is our window not only into the history of what cars and trucks and trolleys were "then" but the names of the places, locations, buildings and their accessories. Notice at all the exterior shades, awnings on the sides of the multi story brick hotel, buildings etc.
It was the only way to keep direct sunlight out or possible cold air depending upon the season. No a/c but fans, hand held and sometimes ceiling if the electricity was working well enough. This car history we are looking for is also giving us a world view into everything else of a century ago. The black & white images just enhance that so and lets us focus more on the subjects not be distracted by color.

Again I want to  mention that the images are so clear because all of them were photographed using huge glass plate negatives that capture the details so well.

We all are getting history lessons from what we are observing here which puts it into a better perspective of that era. It is the whole "Images of the era" that are giving us a window to " help relieve some of the stress".

AACA Sunday school history lesson is now over - but not for to long! 🤨

WG

Well said Walt... 

And don't forget, some are still standing as a new history is being written ;) 

200 Lancaster Ave Ardmore PA

See the source image

A recent google street view shows it's still there ;). Now with a handicap ramp showing it's up to code..

Ardmore Raymond Scott.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I rediscovered an album of Bickle Fire Engines Ltd (of Woodstock, Ontario) factory photos.. As a sideline, they also built street flushers. Here's a couple of photos of a White, both the posed picture and in action.

Bickle street flusher.jpg

Bickle street flusher at work.jpg

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Great photos of the White truck posed and in action.

My immediate thought was if there was a restored truck just like that at Hershey entering the show field , and half way to its spot the system turned it self on and could not be shut off for some reason...............  splish , splash

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Walt G said:

My immediate thought was if there was a restored truck just like that at Hershey entering the show field , and half way to its spot the system turned it self on and could not be shut off for some reason...............  splish , splash

Sort of the same result as years ago when the remains of a hurricane passed through there. As I recall, about the only thing moving was another White, a WW2 halftrack !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Walt G said:

That would only happen if it had a microprocessor-controlled ECU.

Craig

• Haha 1

Dave G. posted this wonderful photo on page 343 of this forum's thread.  Dave did not identify the car and I still do not know what it is.  It is a large car, because apparently the young woman in the car must be sitting on a jump seat, making the car perhaps a seven passenger.  Another interesting feature is the wheels.  They appear to be welded steel spoke rather than wood spoke wheels.  Does anyone know the make, model, and year of the car?  Also information about the wheels?  The wheels appear to have knock-off spinners.

And what's the story on Dave?  He posted quite a number great photos and now he seems to have dropped out.

Page 343.jpg

• Like 2

A photo shot in Northland, New Zealand, date uncertain. The Model A is looking well-used and has later wheels - 1934 17" maybe. 

There were only two issues of registration plates with a comma; - 1935-36, in the pre WW2 era when new plates were issued every year, and 1951-56, post WW2 when plate were issued for five years.

I think the man's clothing looks more like 1935 than 1950 but it is hard to say. 

Could that Crescent spanner in his hand have been available in 1935?

Waihopo Northland maybe 35-36.jpg

PA_NZEA_GI1.jpg

• Like 1

Crescent spanners (wrenches in the USA) go back to the early 1900s. They were fairly common here by the 1920s, and would have been readily available throughout the 1930s. They even made double ended spanners way back when. A larger adjustable spanner on one end with a slightly smaller size spanner on the other end. I have a couple of those, likely dating back well before World War 2.

I suspect that the more common 'monkey wrench' was more common because the Crescent tool company owned the patents and insisted upon a very high level of quality. Guarding their quality and reputation was more important to them than making a few more dollars. They always tended to be a bit expensive and the more common but less practical monkey wrench remained in larger numbers and included in factory supplied automobile tool kits.

Genuine Crescent wrenches even today are nicely made!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Dave G. posted this wonderful photo on page 343 of this forum's thread.  Dave did not identify the car and I still do not know what it is.  It is a large car, because apparently the young woman in the car must be sitting on a jump seat, making the car perhaps a seven passenger.  Another interesting feature is the wheels.  They appear to be welded steel spoke rather than wood spoke wheels.  Does anyone know the make, model, and year of the car?  Also information about the wheels?  The wheels appear to have knock-off spinners.

And what's the story on Dave?  He posted quite a number great photos and now he seems to have dropped out.

Page 343.jpg

It's a Mercedes-Benz, -- I think the type 300? Those model Mercedes are difficult to identify accurately, and they made a lot of model variations in the 20's . Those wheels would have the splined Rudge hubs.

More info here:

https://mercedes-benz-publicarchive.com/marsClassic/en/instance/picture/Typ-300.xhtml?oid=122141

canvas1.jpg

• Like 5