Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

12 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

If you look at Duesenberg photos long enough you start to recognize one from the other. I think the above white one is the Sam Mann car, looks so much more modern than the maroon one above it with now outdated splash aprons. Bob 

Bob, the maroon one is a Walker LeGrand and the white one is a JN Rollston.

• Thanks 1

We all have our preference: a roadster or conv coupe is great but I like to have room and take people along with me. A conv victoria is a two door and I love it, but I prefer the 4 door cars no matter what body style. Big sedans too - swoopy with a raked windshield or perpendicular - they are mansions on wheels. Guess it was my early influence , when first collecting in the early 1960s ( before most of you reading this were even born 🥴) all the classic cars friends had were big sedans - 32 Franklin Airman, 40 Cadillac formal sedan, 30 Buick 90 series 7 pass. Different strokes for different folks. So what do I see in my garage now? two open cars , pre war, but both have 4 doors.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Walt G said:

We all have our preference: a roadster or conv coupe is great but I like to have room and take people along with me. A conv victoria is a two door and I love it, but I prefer the 4 door cars no matter what body style. Big sedans too - swoopy with a raked windshield or perpendicular - they are mansions on wheels. Guess it was my early influence , when first collecting in the early 1960s ( before most of you reading this were even born 🥴) all the classic cars friends had were big sedans - 32 Franklin Airman, 40 Cadillac formal sedan, 30 Buick 90 series 7 pass. Different strokes for different folks. So what do I see in my garage now? two open cars , pre war, but both have 4 doors.

Walt, I made a round trip to JFK yesterday, just makes me admire all you Long Island guys that made the trip to the Ridgefield Meet years ago. Would any of you try and make that drive today? Best wishes for 2021! Bob  

Bob, when we used to make the trip up and back to Ridgefield most of us never had to go near JFK or LaGuardia airport, only one bridge ( Throgs Neck or Whitestone) and once over that you are pretty much all clear on roads in Westchester County  and up. I never ever recall any traffic issues at all going up or coming back ( besides coming back everyone was so happy because they had a great time and visit at the show nothing could make us frustrated!) . The cars I drove or rode in to the show all were very comfortable at the posted speed limit ! ( to say the least) . I live only about 20 minutes ( or 2 hours) away from JFK and rarely drive past there - usually only to go to Herhsey.

Sure I would make the drive today - at the time of the year in Sept. that the show was held.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I don't have the matching body style to the above Packard photos, but believe they were used to make the print blocks of the magazine ads. Walt, why was artwork used rather than photos? Bob 

DSCF1339.JPG

DSCF1340.JPG

Printed artwork was what 90% + of the companies that produced the sales literature under contract for the car manufacturers and coach builders were equipped to do prior to 1930. It is not often that you saw many photo illustrated catalogs etc until the equipment to use a photograph was setup/installed. Remember they were all using glass plate negatives to photograph vehicles then. Especially in the era of the Packard catalog shown - 8 x 10 glass plate negatives were used by everyone. Fragile stuff and skilled labor was needed. Printers saw generations of one family to hire to do the work, get the layers of images aligned properly for color separations or gray tone work. It was fine art in the true sense to see this ,, just look at the examples of some of the higher end sales pieces from the era.

There is another story here - who were the printers here in the USA and in Europe that were used in the pre war era to produce such fine portfolios and catalogs. England and France each had one major printer that all the car companies used. To many stories, to little time but most current club publications don't have the room for such information................ a four page story is even "to hard to find" room for, so I have been told.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ericmac said:

In my opinion the greatest Duesenberg of all time. 

The exterior door hinges are a huge help to the car via usability.  When Fran Rozas built the body for J555 it featured the hidden door hinges and as a result you have to be sort of "limber" to get in and out of the car. 

21 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

The exterior door hinges are a huge help to the car via usability.  When Fran Rozas built the body for J555 it featured the hidden door hinges and as a result you have to be sort of "limber" to get in and out of the car. 

J555 was once owned by a friend of mine.  I got to drive it.   It was pretty cool and I don't like new coachwork.

1930 Duesenberg Model J Chassis 2276, engine J-255

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, edinmass said:

I was thinking there are lots of better factory bodies.........or small batch bodies from the custom houses. While I prefer phaetons because as a kid that was the car to own............two door roadsters and convertible coupes/Victoria’s are certainly preferred by most today. I think the JN Rollston & the LaGrand convertible coupes are top of the line. Lots of others will argue for a disappearing top Murphy........just because of the early classic lines.

BD67EDC6-84DC-478F-8222-DCB690F6ADAD.png

9604DF89-8C6C-450B-8536-1B3C1316D8D2.png

I have had the chance to drive the white car, SJN 564 extensively, as it is a local car to me.  It is a great car in literally every way.  In all, I have only driven 8-9 Duesenbergs but have driven 564 the most, and like it the best. My preference for a Torpedo Phaeton is only from an appearance perspective. If I won the lottery I would have a collection of Duesenbergs that would make Terry Adderley's collection seem like but a clearing of one's throat. Most definitely I would want an SJN convertible coupe, a Brunn Riviera,  a Murphy Phaeton,  a Murphy convertible coupe, a Weyman Torpedo, a Derham convertible sedan and....well, you all get the idea. With enough money,  there would be no limit. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

If you look at Duesenberg photos long enough you start to recognize one from the other. I think the above white one is the Sam Mann car, looks so much more modern than the maroon one above it with now outdated splash aprons. Bob 

Not Sam's car. It is SJN 564, a car that is part of the same collection as the '34 Packard Dietrich Coupe that is the subject of another thread here.

• Like 1

Don’t want to take the photo thread off topic.....but since it’s so hard core big car related,  I shall  be short. The Duesenberg world is a strange and fascinating place to become part of. I stepped into it by accident five years ago, and became immersed in it. It’s been a fantastic journey........not just because of the Model J’s which are clearly the best cars ever built......but the ability to compare them to the “other legends of the road”. Nothing, nothing, nothing, compares to a Model J.......and I have driven them all. We a respected friend said I should drive a 2.3 or 2.9 Alfa..............I did, and while both were great cars they did nothing for me.......even if they cost ten times more than a J. That doesn’t mean J’s don’t have flaws or short comings..........but given any car in the world to drive, I will ALWAYS take the J, SJ, JN, SJN, or SSJ. 

6 hours ago, ericmac said:

Not Sam's car. It is SJN 564, a car that is part of the same collection as the '34 Packard Dietrich Coupe that is the subject of another thread here.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

One last comment......every person who owns a 1934 Packard Individual Custom Dietrich Stationary Coupe...also owns a Model J. And interestingly I know them all....(both cars and owners).......and every one of them drives their Duesenberg’s ten times more often than the Packard. A Model J Duesenberg is the one pre war car in the world that will do everything you ask of it without hesitation........simply put they are a pure joy to drive. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Don't recall these being posted. Thought the street setting was just as appealing as the car...

More of a earlier Dietrich fan but these Murphy shots are worth posting. 

I believe it has a Missouri plate. 

J329 1.jpg

J329 2.jpg

J329 3.jpg

All the body modifications were simply bolted on to a Murphy Convertible Sedan.   This is the car with the modifications removed.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/gc19/the-guyton-collection/lots/r0035-1930-duesenberg-model-j-convertible-sedan-by-murphy/750677

https://rmsothebys-cache.azureedge.net/1/3/3/e/d/8/133ed8358df08f96d56f2f8089404317cebf1b93.jpg

• Like 1

Love that traffic signal tower and also in the next photo the hand operated signal.

This to me is why the period photographs and images are just so important - these two and countless other photos posted here by viewers tell the history of the era not just the vehicles themselves! The signal tower and signal itself just mentioned probably were obsolete by 1935! The image puts into perspective exactly how daily life was at that time. Just about everything was mechanical- hand operated, just like the cars that they were there to serve a function for.  It takes us beyond the one thing we focus on - the cars, and brings us into that time period to appreciate what had to be designed and function to be used to serve a need , even with something as simple as directing traffic. Compare it with what is being done ( or not ) today. Be thankful that we have here a forum to be able to present this history to all, worldwide.

WG

Edited by Walt G
spelling correction (see edit history)
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, alsancle said:

All the body modifications were simply bolted on to a Murphy Convertible Sedan.   This is the car with the modifications removed.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/gc19/the-guyton-collection/lots/r0035-1930-duesenberg-model-j-convertible-sedan-by-murphy/750677

https://rmsothebys-cache.azureedge.net/1/3/3/e/d/8/133ed8358df08f96d56f2f8089404317cebf1b93.jpg

Yes ! Much better feel

2 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Most of the photos from that file are aircraft and boat engines. 

True,,, just thought it cool to look at that era of workmanship. 
Some nerds like me love to learn. I never knew the Duesenberg's were involved in Aircraft mechanics until recently. I'm sure others will be just as surprised as I was. 

view

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

AJ, if you buy this car, I am NOT sorting it for driving on the street. The real question is how many gallons to the mile? That fuel tank looks real small........

Daytona Beach 1929.

D8B16A02-484E-4742-A48D-2852A94B4ADD.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, edinmass said:

AJ, if you buy this car, I am NOT sorting it for driving on the street. The real question is how many gallons to the mile? That fuel tank looks real small........

Daytona Beach 1929.

Eddy,   That is the “starter” tank.  There is a trailer with the 100 gallon main tank.

• Haha 1

Look close, it’s made of angle iron. They figured strength was more important than weight........and they were correct.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Daytona Beach 1929.

That's insane...  

I love the s*($ eating grin on the mechanics face  Would love to know what he was thinking in this photo.

3 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

That's insane...  

I love the s*($ eating grin on the mechanics face  Would love to know what he was thinking in this photo.

I can tell you exactly what he’s thinking.........this big piece of sxxt is NEVER going to run right. 

• Haha 1

Here is an interesting photo taken in 1916 of Joseph White in his 1912 Moon Roadster according to writing on back of photo. Question for Walt G. - do you think that this is the same car that Austin Clark owned in 1948 and was shown at Pebble in 2016 when it was owned by Leland and Marissa Powels ?

img390.jpg

• Like 1