Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Eric, I totally agree " just seems to get better all the time". I am so proud to see the interest continue, the effort to look through your own collections and share the images, or take the time to look and find more we may not be aware of on the internet someplace. I am truly amazed at the on going sustained interest - proves to me that there are a lot of people out there worldwide that love original images of pre WWII era vehicles.  I never imagined this thread would ever last this long . It is a tonic we all need to keep our spirits up , I have made so many new friends via these posts because of our similar sincere interest.  A few days early , but to all have a HAPPY AND SAFE NEW YEAR . Hope to see all of you in person some day , down the road.

Walt

• Like 6

On 12/28/2020 at 5:12 PM, Walt G said:

When was the last time anyone ever saw a mud flap on a pre war car? My 1931 Plymouth sedan had a pair mounted on it when I bought it in 1963, the car had been parked in a garage and not driven since 1935 ( the NY license plate was still on the car at the back too) after it had an unfortunate encounter with a more solid object . Mud flaps were a popular accessory due to the poor conditions of the road even with paved surfaces. Today you see cars with accessory driving lights, spot lamps, tire covers, running board metal mats/plates, trunks but no mud flaps . Hey there is an idea for a new international or country wide region of AACA - The Mudflap region . 🤣

I know you've seen them, but may not remember - because of the hidden running boards, the 30-31 Franklin Pirate Touring and Phaeton have a mud flap on the front fenders, just forward of where the rear end of the fender curves into the body.

Paul 

P1010010.JPG

P1010021.JPG

• Like 2

On 12/28/2020 at 5:12 PM, Walt G said:

When was the last time anyone ever saw a mud flap on a pre war car? My 1931 Plymouth sedan had a pair mounted on it when I bought it in 1963, the car had been parked in a garage and not driven since 1935 ( the NY license plate was still on the car at the back too) after it had an unfortunate encounter with a more solid object . Mud flaps were a popular accessory due to the poor conditions of the road even with paved surfaces. Today you see cars with accessory driving lights, spot lamps, tire covers, running board metal mats/plates, trunks but no mud flaps . Hey there is an idea for a new international or country wide region of AACA - The Mudflap region . 🤣

1940-1941 Graham Hollywood’s had them from the factory. Zeke

• Thanks 1

Need to look it up in the souvenir program I have , but the Duesenberg most likely is on the exhibit at the London Motor Show for 1929.

Signs indicate the English way of stating where they are from so far as location and that it is a "motor" show not an automobile show.

Bob, thanks for all your contributions for the 9 months this has been a part of the forums. You and many others have contributed way more images then I have and that is exactly what I had hoped would happen when I started this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More Odd Stuff: I have a stack of periodicals that were issued by "De La Camara Del Comercio DeAutomoviles De Cuba" , entitled El Automovil de Cuba. It was a car magazine that was issued in Havana , Cuba. most of the issues I have are in the 1930-33 era. Here are two photos from their February 1931 issue . I may start another thread (!!!) on what some of the covers and content were found in these magazines. Primarily American automobiles - great full page advertisements and for those of you that like/collect anything about a particular year, make, model , series this will be some new material for you to view. Any interest? ( yes I know I have way to much material that seems never to end and is all pre 1942)

What you see here is the debut of the new Lincoln automobile K series in Havana in 1931 . It was an excuse for a party . for which attendance seemed to be quite good!

CUBAlincoln1931001.jpg

CUBAlincoln1931002.jpg

• Like 5

The National Garage in Havana , Cuba 1931. Check out the singage!   The Hood Tire stand up figural sign at the lower left on the sidewalk has to be 8 to 10 feet tall if you compare it to the crowd in the center of the photo. Look at the signs on the facade, obviously all lit up during evening hours . All you sign collectors can you imagine having one of those on the face or top of your garage for all to admire? you neighbor across the street ( even if they are half mile away) would know who you are! This is the kind of signs we need to see for sale at Hershey! All seem to be done with bulbs too, not neon. Notice the architecture as well, the arches over the doors.

CUBANationalGarage1931002.jpg

• Like 2