Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

The Dorothy Patten (Baroness Dorndorf) Peugeot still exists.  It was auctioned by Gooding in 2017.  See https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/peugeot/402/1938/469879

poster_25279.jpg

I also found this post at prewarcar.com about the car:

David Cooper   02 December 2019, 22:04

The Peugeot Darl'mat is now in the US, where it is being restored at my shop, Cooper Technica, Inc., back to the way it was in 1938 when it was purchased by Dorothy Patten and her future husband Baron Rainer Dorndorf. We have found many photos of the car during the years when Dorothy Patten raced it, from 1938-1948. We also have a scrapbook she put together of her racing career with many unpublished photos of the Darl'mat. .This information will be published soon. The car is being repainted in the correct French blue color using nitro-cellulose paint. We also obtained the correct type 402B engine and the larger competition brakes that she had installed in her car. Watch for it in an upcoming Concours d'Elegance.

• Like 5

A question for the gaslight car owners.  How much light, really, did the Prestolite / carbide and the kerosene side lamps provide for night driving?  How good was a red lensed kerosene tail light for avoiding a rear end accident?  I have not owned nor operated an old gas-mobile but I have to wonder what it was like on a dark night without the moon.

Gas Kero Lamps Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal, Philadelphia, Nov. 1, 1907, p 223 01-03.JPG

Gas Kero Lamps Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal, Philadelphia, Nov. 1, 1907, p 223 03-03.JPG

To answer your question simply, sufficient to see ahead and for persons to see you behind.

BUT..... the lights are not anywhere near as bright as lights today.  The reason that I say sufficient is because cars that have acetylene usually never went more than say 25 miles/hour.  I know some went faster, but the cars drove slower because the capability of the vehicles other items to consider the roads were primitive which limited speeds, and usually had rear axle brakes only.

As the roads got better and the cars became better and faster, the headlights and other lights became better with more lumens and greater reach. 

• Like 2

It has been a while since I did a tour at night following a gas and brass car but the headlamps did a fair job if it was a clear night and not foggy! tail light was about as effective as a modern bicycle light is with a weak battery.

• Like 4

The thing to keep in mind is that there were no street lights and probably not even the "glow" of the city lights that we're used to.  Imagine being way out in the woods or somewhere.  Even a candle is a welcome light source.

That said, the headlights are quite bright if you look straight into them so I'd say they were quite good for oncoming traffic.  How far ahead they cast depends on the condition of your reflectors and the adjustment  (and the mud on the lens).  But I'd say they're good to light up the road immediately ahead on one of those dark nights.  Especially at the slower speeds Walt mentioned above.  From reading the old articles and cross-country journals it seems like darkness wasn't anything to be feared.

The kerosene lamps don't cast much light but would help others see you.  Same for the tail light.

Nowadays when we do our "gaslight tours"  it's usually quite close to the tour hotel and darkness isn't really an issue.  But it's great fun.

Here's a picture I took last summer.  Two cars with a motorcycle in the middle.

All Lit Up 3b.jpg

Edited by PFindlay (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Twin6 posted an interesting photo of an unidentified car.  It's design suggests a runabout-type speedster with a rather long wheelbase.  The rear section of the car could easily make this car a seven-passenger touring.  The general body layout of the front section of the car resembles the Daniels.  The attached photo of a Daniels has been identified on internet as a 1921 model, with Mr. Daniels at the wheel.  The date of 1921 is suspect for what appears to be a prototype / experimental precursor to the Model D-19 of 1921. The third photo does show a known and certified 1921 Daniels D-19 Submarine Speedster.  Study of the probable prototype Daniels speedster shows that Mr. Daniels is crammed into a bucket, knees scrunched under the steering wheel with very little room to operate the foot pedals.  That is not the way to own and operate a speedster and some adjustments would be necessary to make it a saleable product.

2131920057_dogsledcar.thumb.JPG.9904f1aea5af3a73ed7496a4a9b2271b.jpg

21 Daniels 8Cy Rdstr.jpg

21 Daniels D-19 Submarine Speedster 02-16.jpg

• Like 3

Great picture, love the dented fender.  Brings back memories of when I 
"dented" my grandfather's '39 Chevy right front fender.  We were threshing oats on a farm and grandpa parked his '39 too close.  I drove an Allis-Chalmers tractor pulling a hay wagon with a load of bundles for the threshing machine.  As I pulled the wagon into position for feeding bundles into the thresher I saw grandpa on top of the separator jumping up and down -- he had his hair on fire about something.  Boy, somebody was in big trouble.  I knew is wasn't me because I was 'pretty sure' I had enough clearance to get the hay wagon into position past grandpa's car.  It didn't take long before my dad was running interference between me and his dad.  The corner of my hay wagon pushed in a huge crease of the fender and it was tight against the tire.  As I fed bundles of oats into the thresher dad was busy hammering the dent away from the tire so the car could be driven out of the work area.  It was one of those funny things that we didn't laugh about when grandpa wasn't around. 

Auburn.thumb.jpg.48bf9f5e933eaf1afd7d22d241012413.jpg.5bafd34b2000ffbb0dfcaa7f8a1ad3a3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Renault 45 HP Reinastella ( note the star just above the emblem on the hood) The Reinastella was the largest series Renault made, there were three other series/models available on shorter wheelbases with smaller capacity engines.  . Car dates from ca. 1929 but photo was taken in Maine in 1937. Note the Marchal headlamps . Absolutely huge cars that you never see in person, even in Europe. Most of the larger Renaults that were imported to the USA were sold out of their New York City sales showroom and came in minus coachwork. Were fitted with bodies built here in the USA. Another story that needs to be told with period images and photographs to record the connection of Renault in the USA prior to WWII- I have all the period sales literature, instruction book, and photographs to do that . The big Renaults were like ocean liners on wheels.........

RENAULTmaine1937001.jpg

• Like 4

Craig, yes Renault had a selling agent in NY City very early as did most European cars ( De Dion Buton was especially popular) The larger horsepower chassis made in Europe came over as race cars to compete in the Vanderbilt Cup races because of the publicity that they could garner even if they didn't win . New York City had the deep water ports along the Hudson River for steam ship ocean liners to tie up to and their hulls were filled with goods.

7 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Craig, yes Renault had a selling agent in NY City very early as did most European cars ( De Dion Buton was especially popular) The larger horsepower chassis made in Europe came over as race cars to compete in the Vanderbilt Cup races because of the publicity that they could garner even if they didn't win . New York City had the deep water ports along the Hudson River for steam ship ocean liners to tie up to and their hulls were filled with goods.

I was just reading a book on New York City's Transit system, and they purchased 15 DeDion double-deck buses in 1905, and soon increased their fleet to 132 units, which replaced all the horse-drawn conveyances.  The received more buses from Daimler in England not long after.

I wonder if any still survive.

Craig 

I know of none of the DeDion or Daimler buses that survive from that era. The only NY city buses I knew of that survived were later - pre war but in the 1930s. Austin Clark had several of them, one he bought in the Bronx , the upper borough of Manhattan in the 1950s and wanted to get it back to his auto museum in Southampton, NY at the eastern end of long island about 100+ miles away . This was in an era when there were many less bridges to long island from the main part of NY and transporting a double deck 5th Avenue coach bus that distance was nearly impossible. No one wanted to haul it. SO because it was in good condition and running well Austin DROVE IT from the Bronx to Southampton, once over the Whitestone Bridge he made his way to Rt 27 east ( there was no long island Expressway. and took his time ( it was not a fast bus being a double decker) and made it to the museum. I can't imagine anyone doing that then , much less now!!! It would be like landing a tri motor Ford or a bi plane airplane at Kennedy airport.

One of the buses Austin had ( he had several double deck 5th Ave. coach buses) wound up decades later going to Harrah's to be restored, repowered to use at their museum. Harrah's under the direction of my buddy Paul Larios had to have a crew come out and buy limber to wrap the bus in for its trip to Reno. They had to take the second deck off so it and the first deck/chassis could be fitted to a flat bed .  I went out and Paul and I had lunch and looked at the project. Austin was happy, so was Bill Harrah and Paul not so much with the project.

I have to many stories , most of which would not fit in a post here, and most of the stories about activity that Austin and I got into were legal too! mostly, sort of.

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 3

This 1938 Lincoln Zephyr sedan was bought new by my grandfather who traded in his 1929 model L Lincoln sedan . the location of the photograph is his backyard in Floral Park, NY and in the background is the north end property of Belmont Park race track, a horse race track that is the third leg of the annual Triple Crown race . That is 500+ feet of 150+ year old white oak trees in the race track - they are still there , and I only live about 100 feet away from where this photo was taken.

LZgosdenmayfairave1938001.jpg

• Like 8