Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Dave

Great photos. The address notes that the Willys-Overland Branch ( new car sales)  in NYC was at 50th and Broadway, that area was Automobile Row  for Manhattan and extended north to 59th Street and Central Park South area. These photos may have been taken in the Bronx. I love the lone mansion located between the apartment houses in the top photo, I am sure there were mansions /larger residences on wither side of that where the apartment houses are in the photo before the property became to valuable to just be occupied by a single house. The original wood houses were demolished to make way for the apartments - Progress 1920s style.....

WG

• Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 9:57 PM, George Cole said:

How to work on cars before Harbor Freight jack stands were invented.

gettyimages-3324163-612x612.jpg

Can Remember my dad working on cars in similar fashion , jacked up with wooden block under somewhere in case trolley jack failed. British reg so maybe similar car , identify?

• Like 2

For some years I did not have jack stands and used 6 x 6 x 12 wood blocks laid vertically . Never ever used concrete blocks! my family were generations of masons and my Dad warned me ( with some vigor and a glare) that concrete blocks under a car to set it on was a way to get killed when the blocks would fracture, crack and crumble. In high school I lost a favorite shop teacher that way who was working under his car one weekend and the concrete blocks supporting the car crumbles with him under it. The jack stands I did eventually buy were commercial grade units that Austin Clark bought new in the early 1950s to use out at his auto museum to support his vehicles when they were being worked on in that facilities shop area. He had 2 ton Autocars, fire engines etc up on them so I figured that they were worthy of further use after resting dormant for a decade.

• Like 2

How many flea market spaces would that occupy at Hershey?  How many people would pay a few buck$ to be able to walk up inside it and look around ? Wow what a fund raiser for the AACA that would make . Hey , our AACA CEO , Steve M. could even be requested to drive it around to give some members a ride about town -  😵

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Walt G said:

How many flea market spaces would that occupy at Hershey?  How many people would pay a few buck$ to be able to walk up inside it and look around ? Wow what a fund raiser for the AACA that would make . Hey , our AACA CEO , Steve M. could even be requested to drive it around to give some members a ride about town -  😵

How would they even move it?  That's got to be at least 24-ft wide and 100-ft long.  I don't want to ride in it...I want to drive it!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Walt G said:

I'd bet someone in the AACA membership with deep pockets could make it happen if they had a passion for that sort of thing. Wouldn't surprise me a bit to see someone bring the old girl back to life. A replica of course...

1 hour ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Last one... 

I know it's sacrilege to post anything Ford but the quality of the photo deserves a place here. Sorry, I'm a sucker for all panel trucks. 

96pa101_1930_1939_1463b.jpg

Nothing wrong with a Ford..........and the photo meets all the criteria of the thread. Interesting how visible the plate is. Nice truck. Lettering was well done.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tph479 said:

Pierce arrow. Interesting use of a sweep panel on a town car.

2B7A550E-2D3D-4D91-9958-E87894A3071B.jpeg

Young Herman C. Brunn spent some time working in France at Henri Binder to broaden this coachbuilding training and experience before returning to join Brunn as their designer.  His deft handling of the sweep panel design was one of the benefits of that training.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Last one... 

I know it's sacrilege to post anything Ford but the quality of the photo deserves a place here. Sorry, I'm a sucker for all panel trucks. 

96pa101_1930_1939_1463b.jpg

I second that..every panel photo I see I copy to my disk drive