Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

On 4/23/2024 at 12:37 PM, Walt G said:

Outstanding looking Buick 2 door sedan/coach. Love the colors too.  Great harmony of style and design - how the headlamps compliment the style of the radiator shell and the cowl lights echo the headlamps. Naysayers will probably question the white wall tires but to me the whole car "works" as a unit and the car does not have any added lamps etc to accent anything - doesn't need it. Thanks Larry.

Walt

Walt:

That is the shade of Cobalt Blue that is to be on my 1925-45 Touring car. Someday maybe......I had asked Jessy for the formula for years but not yet. Out in the sun it appears much lighter. The restoration plan on this Model 40 was to do the stripped and varnished spokes. All these cars came with painted spokes done in body color.

This is all I have done so far.

DSC01142.jpg.dfab9601c053cbb4346687931837bd9e.jpg

Also the factory catalog images show all the cars with the double whitewalls. Pushing the new Balloon tires in their sales imaging. Basicly all the images below are the same as 1924 catalog illustrations with a bit of touch up on the wheels/tires. Cars that were originally black in 1924 stayed black in the 1925 catalog. Early 1925 production cars stayed black and then when production switched to DUCO the Master Touring went to cobalt blue and the standard touring to brewster Green.

25catpg15.jpg.9f7fee4314a3a7db070c0413a4e1ebd3.jpg

The model 49 was to be a darker Limosine Blue.

25catpg19.jpg.913fc5673e4f80f67bced94f49fe8dba.jpg

aah_sized25-25.jpg.b8cd85127ed5e7e4ddcf34d3d032ad7a.jpg

Edited by dibarlaw (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Larry

Thank you for what you have shared with all of us - OUTSTANDING - great information along with period factory images. I do like natural wood wheels but it depends upon the year and I think that wood wheels with really long spokes can look a bit awkward with natural wheels and white walls. Painted wood wheels with the shorter and huskier wood spokes look great painted and what you show with the painted wheels and that white accent stripe was just so period and authentic looking. Most all need a pin strip of some kind.

Of course some reading this will say "yeah his opinion, no big deal " but I have for over 50 years studied, styling, paint of all types ( for cars and , paintings, lettering on windows/buildings/ commercial vehicles) I went to school to study art so any paint etc was of interest not just oil or water color paint in a tube!

Walt

• Like 3

15 hours ago, twin6 said:

Dunlop.jpg

Interesting, what is the reason for covering the headlamps and sidelamps?

1 hour ago, JRA said:

Interesting, what is the reason for covering the headlamps and sidelamps?

I am going to guess mourning ritual. Mirrors and other shiny objects were covered in that era.

• Like 1

I agree Larry, brass can tarnish at a glance sideways!! saw this happen locally with a car club that was independent and had 1932 as the cut off date for cars participating. Most of the brass cars had covers for the lamps , usually overnight if parked outside but often when running during the day and cars being driven .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

bf3c18e785a203b3de8c5812b22b988b.jpg

What a revolting development. Love that A panel truck even with the squashed down nose

I've got the right of way............no, you don't I do..............you're both wrong, I do.......................you wana make a bet? watch this!!!!!!!

On 4/23/2024 at 8:19 PM, hddennis said:

This picture was for sale on Etsy with no information. Looks to me to be Japanese military headquarters in a foreign country late 1920's or 1930's. Anyone recognize the 3 cars of the same make on the left?

Howard Dennis

Screenshot2024-04-23225357.jpg.fb76165a2995e19a6406a0a96d965d3f.jpg

Whatever they are they look to be high quality and sporty. A European make I would expect.

5 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Whatever they are they look to be high quality and sporty. A European make I would expect.

Possibly Bentley Blower cars....

Bentley Blower.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Those per day rentals actually look quite expensive considering the year this was probably printed. $35.00 - $50.00 would have been a tidy sum to blow on a 1 day car hire circa early 1920's.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Could be either Bentley or Crossley. But the profile of the rad shell looks more Crossley to my eye.

It is a Crossley 20/70 with Type C body, built between 1922 and 1926

Regarding the original posting with the Japanese Military Headquarter, Crossley's were popular as Staff's cars by the British Army in WWI

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Those per day rentals actually look quite expensive considering the year this was probably printed. $35.00 - $50.00 would have been a tidy sum to blow on a 1 day car hire circa early 1920's.

Aren’t these hire rates for film shoots, 1940s or 50s?

• Like 1

Looking at the background in the photo's I would say a lot older than the 1940's. Look at the other cars on the street in the last photo showing the Renault Town Car, late 1920's at the newest I would say.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A Woolf said:

Ebay02.jpg.f53095f87cd5e894859de3f05fdb2a58.jpg

An unknown family with their 1912 Model T Ford.  

For sure all together have usually rode on that car!

• Like 1