Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

The full-length, over-the-cowl hood with sweeping hood doors and opening line is very avant garde for a ca 1929-'30 Lincoln L.  As Walt G notes, proportions are always the key.  The severe abbreviation of the body mass juxtaposed against the low, separate trunk brings to mind any number of hapless pre-war coupes whose utility was increased by cutting away the deck and installing a pick-up box.

Edited by 58L-Y8
corrected syntax errors (see edit history)

On 12/17/2022 at 9:32 AM, George K said:

Captured the photo out of a review of automobiles. Forget where. Seem like it’s a inordinately31C89AB0-350F-4A0C-AD55-74B0BFC9742D.jpeg.d7b55dbd99af1c3304a2c082e9a3a8c7.jpeg high roof.

Would like to know more about that three ring symbol if you have any upclose photos of it. 

Over the years I've seen other references to the meaning such as Ballantine rings (inverted however) and the drummer of Led Zeppellin had the symbol on his bass drum, and some churches have it as The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit as the meaning. It would be interesting to know what the significance was to the owner or builder.

Interesting photo. Having driven early 30’s cars in deep snow, you certainly need chains to move or you get stuck very easy. Lester tires are absolutely the worst in snow, three inches and even on flat ground you go nowhere. Look at how the ladies have dresses on……….todays ladies wouldn’t even consider stepping into an un heated car without full ski gear on. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Also notice the lady on the left has leopard skin accents on her sleeves and hat. There were no real animal advocates, activists back then .

Lester tires even on wet roads that have grooves cut into them at the curves can be an interesting "dance" is the grooves in the tires and the road line up on the wet surface as well. Old car "hip hop" before those words were proclaimed a new dance form .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Also notice the lady on the left has leopard skin accents on her sleeves and hat. There were no real animal advocates, activists back then .

Lester tires even on wet roads that have grooves cut into them at the curves can be an interesting "dance" is the grooves in the tires and the road line up on the wet surface as well. Old car "hip hop" before those words were proclaimed a new dance form .

And "WEED" was a tire chain manufacturer that was also a Cadillac and Packard factory accessory......not what you were smoking Saturday night. I actually have a set of Cadillac-LaSalle factory chains for a 1932 V-16 in the original leather bag. Has a great logo on it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Enjoy.............your car in the snow!

Screenshot 2022-12-19 at 9.34.13 AM.png

Thanks I will. Looks like something I would have done while under the influence of either or both weed’s. What this about Saturday nights only! That’s news to me. Were you driving in the 1960’s?

Just now, George K said:

Thanks I will. Looks like something I would have done while under the influence of either or both weed’s. What this about Saturday nights only! That’s news to me. Were you driving in the 1960’s?

George......here is my ride in 1969. I got it for Christmas when I was three...........😎

s-l1600-2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, here we are , Ed admits he is happy to have a bag of chains with a Cadillac logo on it,  His big wheels he rode on in 1969 ( I had been out of high school for two years by then and owned a car with running boards for 5 years) - what is the world coming to? Hey - that is cool, ( except I don't like plastic rides) and he and I and several others from Ca. to New England are a bunch of squirrels - yes we are all nuts.

James Melton in the AACA magazine back in the 1960s addressed car collectors as "Fellow Squirrels" I like that and it suits us well.  😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, edinmass said:

George......here is my ride in 1969. I got it for Christmas when I was three...........😎

s-l1600-2.jpg

Did you practice doing spin outs or what we called “shitty’s” back then. Don’t worry there’s still time to catch up. practice,practice, practice.

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

s-l1600-2.jpg

In 1969 or 1970, (which I believe was the year they came out, and the hottest 'toy of the year'), Woodwards department store had two of them assembled and ride-ready under a table in their annual "ToyLand" Xmas display.  I was way too old for it, as was a friend of mine from school who I was with.  Both of us had this crazy idea to each get on one and race each other down the aisle!  A store clerk must have been watching us, as she came over, told us very sternly that we were 'too old' for them and made us put them away before we had the chance to even get on them!!  

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, edinmass said:

Interesting photo. Having driven early 30’s cars in deep snow, you certainly need chains to move or you get stuck very easy. Lester tires are absolutely the worst in snow, three inches and even on flat ground you go nowhere. Look at how the ladies have dresses on……….todays ladies wouldn’t even consider stepping into an un heated car without full ski gear on. 

I know you're a phaeton snob, but I'll also point out this was a good time to have a convertible sedan instead! :)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Tire chains were great for traction on snow-packed roads, but hell to ride on and listen to whapping on dry pavement.  I still recall seeing men putting on chains while lying in the snow...and hearing the cursing!

Why is this written in the past tense? Visit almost any California highway in the mountains when a winter storm is raging and chain control is in effect and you can still experience this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1909 Photo of the Cole Carriage Company next to the new Cole Motor Car company. The Cole Carriage company was dissolved that year after selling off the last of their Cole high wheelers while JJ Cole launched his Cole 30 motor cars under the Cole Motor Car Company. Indianapolis State Fair.  JJ Cole produced 172 Cole high wheelers under his Carriage company before realizing that high wheelers were not the future of the auto industry and deciding that a car company could not be associated with carriages.  This is why he dissolved the old company and launched the new one.  Henderson Motor Sales was the exclusive Cole Motor Company dealer during 1909. 

May be an image of 6 people, outdoors and text that says 'ole arriage ompany HENDERSON HENDERSON MOTOR SALES co. COLE30 F30 MOTOR TE SALES SOLE DISTRIBUTERS'

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kfle said:

1909 Photo of the Cole Carriage Company next to the new Cole Motor Car company. The Cole Carriage company was dissolved that year after selling off the last of their Cole high wheelers while JJ Cole launched his Cole 30 motor cars under the Cole Motor Car Company. Indianapolis State Fair.  JJ Cole produced 172 Cole high wheelers under his Carriage company before realizing that high wheelers were not the future of the auto industry and deciding that a car company could not be associated with carriages.  This is why he dissolved the old company and launched the new one.  Henderson Motor Sales was the exclusive Cole Motor Company dealer during 1909. 

May be an image of 6 people, outdoors and text that says 'ole arriage ompany HENDERSON HENDERSON MOTOR SALES co. COLE30 F30 MOTOR TE SALES SOLE DISTRIBUTERS'

Wouldn’t it be nice to find one of those original signs.

Love those tent photos from any early make. 

image.jpeg.c33bd1b0893d14aa71c2c2914234ea00.jpeg

6E65D66F-7644-44FE-924D-2C1359385E10.jpeg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Refreshments in glass bottles with metal bottle caps ( not the twist off kind) and was it beer or"soda pop". Now rarely do people use the 'pop' second word of description. Everything is abbreviated to communicate faster and with less effort: Soda ( no POP) , Pebble ( No Beach) , Amelia ( No Island) , before you know it we will all be using less words for cities/destinations : we will be going to San, or New, or Los, etc.