Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Hi George, that's a great photo reproduction as well. But I was actually thinking of a photo that would have been taken with the same high quality camera / glass plate neg that the head on shot was taken with. Really clear , large format photos of notable cars from this period are somewhat scarce. All to often the only image that seems to have survived are magazine photos , or post card images. The original glass plates are often lost to time.

• Like 1

There are two photos of the same Lincoln.  The car appears to be at rest in the same location, with one photo just a tad fuzzy and the second one sharp.  The position of the camera changed a little; the oil spot on the street is in the same relationship to the car, the logo on the hub caps has the same orientation in both photos, and it appears that the building is the same but the scale cuts off part of the building.

image.jpeg

Lincoln 023 02-02.png

• Like 3

The windscreen on this automobile in 1907 appears to be very similar to an after market windscreen advertised in the Automobile Journal back in the day.  It is simply wood frame and ordinary plate glass.  Safety glass did not come into use until 1936, except for the rear window.  Seeing this photo reminds me of a scary incident I had with my 1932 Chevrolet.  Back in 1960 or '61 the right side front passenger window was broken.  The approximate top half was solidly stuck in the window channel and the lower half was missing.  A number of times I tried to remove the stuck top half of the plate glass but it would not budge.  The profile of the stuck plate glass was shaped like a guillotine blade and that made it scary looking.  One fine summer day I was sitting in the passenger seat looking at the stuck glass and mulling over how to remove it and why it had resisted my past efforts.  Suddenly it dropped like a guillotine blade and I sat there stunned.  A number of times I had put my hand and arm through the window opening below the glass.  There is only one English word for a peculiar, stunned feeling -- WHEW !  Or a low whistle sound.

2080145620_1907PA8267.jpg.959b16fb5914601640745805ac4fda9f.jpg

24 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

The windscreen on this automobile in 1907 appears to be very similar to an after market windscreen advertised in the Automobile Journal back in the day.  It is simply wood frame and ordinary plate glass.  Safety glass did not come into use until 1936, except for the rear window.  Seeing this photo reminds me of a scary incident I had with my 1932 Chevrolet.  Back in 1960 or '61 the right side front passenger window was broken.  The approximate top half was solidly stuck in the window channel and the lower half was missing.  A number of times I tried to remove the stuck top half of the plate glass but it would not budge.  The profile of the stuck plate glass was shaped like a guillotine blade and that made it scary looking.  One fine summer day I was sitting in the passenger seat looking at the stuck glass and mulling over how to remove it and why it had resisted my past efforts.  Suddenly it dropped like a guillotine blade and I sat there stunned.  A number of times I had put my hand and arm through the window opening below the glass.  There is only one English word for a peculiar, stunned feeling -- WHEW !  Or a low whistle sound.

2080145620_1907PA8267.jpg.959b16fb5914601640745805ac4fda9f.jpg

Chrysler products could get safety glass in 1931.

• Like 1

Model A Fords had safety glass in the windshields beginning in 1928 as I recall. The story goes that Henry Ford had a friend that nearly died after a collision because of injuries from the broken windshield. So, while tooling up for the new model Fords, he added the safety glass windshield.

I don't know how accurate that is? But that is the story my model A friends have told me.

18 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

An interesting engineering solution to achieve a soft ride?  Presumably those are coil springs in the wheels.  ?

f1dd46d7c3dfadb0ff6852716d6b061c.jpg

People have been working on airless car tires for a long, long time. Here is a link to something more current: https://www.bridgestonetire.com/learn/tire-technology/airless-concept-tires/# Maybe someday a marketable airless tire will be developed but I am not holding my breath.

Although this photo ( taken in 194?) has some light streaks in it , I felt it was worth sharing as the car seems to be a Rolls Royce AJS Phantom II town car.

Note that in the back ground near the building there is an open touring car parked. It is a snap shot printed on a deckle edged 3 1/2 x 5 1/4 glossy photo paper.

Only information on the back is stamped with the type of paper NEVR-FADE.

ROLLSROPYCEsnapshopPII1947.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Although this photo ( taken in 194?) has some light streaks in it , I felt it was worth sharing as the car seems to be a Rolls Royce AJS Phantom II town car.

Note that in the back ground near the building there is an open touring car parked. It is a snap shot printed on a deckle edged 3 1/2 x 5 1/4 glossy photo paper.

ROLLSROPYCEsnapshopPII1947.jpg

Hey Walt, I’m leaning more phantom I, as those look like snap ring wheels?

Yes, it is a Phantom I, an Avon sedan. My friend in the Society of Automotive Historians Ruben Valdes is a RR guy and let me know. Ruben is a great guy  and is Editor of the SAH Journal as well as Editor of the CCCA magazine. I was happy to have Ruben and his son visit me here a year+ ago  and his kind comment was  - my 4 hour visit and conversation in retrospect seemed like 15 minutes.  It is all good .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Walt G said:

The location is Devon, PA where the horse shows were held and where AACA held meets until moving to Hershey.  The car in the background is not easy to make out, but might be an L Head Mercer.

• Like 2

HOW COOL IS THAT , an AACA connection to a location in a period photograph!  SO our great club who is sponsoring this thread found a connection to its own history. That snapshot photo has sat in a pile in my filing cabinet for 40+ years.

Wonders never cease.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Walt G said:

I would love to have one of those wheels. Would put it on the front porch of my house nest to the front door and drive the neighbors crazy

Hang it on the door.   

No one else will claim they have an Iron Wreath on their front door!

Craig

5 hours ago, HK500 said:

She drives a Duesenberg - on the sidewalk from Indiana to the Lake Shore Drive Hotel in Chicago!  How 'bout them super clean double diamond double side whitewalls! 

DuesyLakeShoreDriveHotel.jpg

Right from the ACD factory.  She must be an employee, driving one with an Indiana 'Manufacturer' license plate.  Perhaps there was a Duesenberg 'salon show' about to happen in the Lake Shore Drive Hotel ballroom that weekend.  

Got any photos of this particular car on display inside the hotel, Walt?

Craig

This sure looks like the same car at the 1932 Auto Salon at the Drake hotel - which is right next door to the Lake Shore Drive hotel.  And all those other cars are '32's,  so I think the date is right, which confuses me on the '33 license plate in the outdoor photo.   Here's a link to an article about the '32 Salon at the Drake.  And a Picture. https://chicagology.com/chicagoautomobile/1932autoshow/

duesenbergsatDrake.jpg

• Like 5

The architecture and signage have been nice bonuses in many of the period photos on this thread.  Clothing is another interesting sideline.  These folks are well attired, and at the risk of sounding like a stuffy old timer, I doubt many youngsters today could identify or relate to their outfits.

CO.jpg

• Like 2