Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

9 hours ago, edinmass said:

I was looking this car over a few weeks ago, in a fantastic collection owned by a gentleman. It’s now a light green, which is a crime.

3FA3D4A5-58C4-42C5-AB61-8E9112BCCA43.png

Ed:

I've wondered if they could be the same car, though the Central Park/Davis image was a 1931 Deluxe Eight 845 and the green one a 1932 Deluxe Eight 904.  I suppose it may have gone unsold during 1931, had the 1932 radiator, bumpers etc. applied to keep it current.  Of course, Waterhouse may have bodied more than one...or we like to hope so.  

While we're thinking of Waterhouse, did that 1931 Pierce-Arrow Model 42 Waterhouse sport sedan ever turn up?

Steve

'32 Packard 904 Deluxe Eight Sports Sedan by Waterhouse d.jpg

26 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Ed:

I've wondered if they could be the same car, though the Central Park/Davis image was a 1931 Deluxe Eight 845 and the green one a 1932 Deluxe Eight 904.  I suppose it may have gone unsold during 1931, had the 1932 radiator, bumpers etc. applied to keep it current.  Of course, Waterhouse may have bodied more than one...or we like to hope so.  

While we're thinking of Waterhouse, did that 1931 Pierce-Arrow Model 42 Waterhouse sport sedan ever turn up?

Steve

'32 Packard 904 Deluxe Eight Sports Sedan by Waterhouse d.jpg

I have the Waterhouse info somewhere and don’t remember if they listed more than one. I will check.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Eleven Sport Sedans built on Packard chassis………so it’s unlikely to be the same car. I should have caught it…..but for some reason I thought it was a unique build and didn’t check in it. The Pierce sedan seems to be lost to time despite rumors that it’s hidden some where. The green sedan is a fantastic car…….and a 904 is my absolute favorite Packard platform.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

Eleven Sport Sedans built on Packard chassis………so it’s unlikely to be the same car. I should have caught it…..but for some reason I thought it was a unique build and didn’t check in it. The Pierce sedan seems to be lost to time despite rumors that it’s hidden some where. The green sedan is a fantastic car…….and a 904 is my absolute favorite Packard platform.

Ed:

Are the eleven Packard Sport Sedans identified by their years and chassis models?   

Are the Waterhouse production records available in print or are they in a private collection?  

I haven't had the pleasure to experience that wonderful Packard 904 Waterhouse sport sedan in person or any 904 in its function, so your endorsement confirms what I suspected.  In pure aesthetic terms, the Packard 904 Waterhouse sport sedan is the distilled essence of Classic proportions and elegance.   What a tragedy the Pierce-Arrow 42 Waterhouse sport sedan has been lost.

Steve

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Booster seat, that is why he looked taller. A1B9C995-EE04-4286-8367-FF94B682D4BD.jpeg

That was the platform for him to stand up on and wave to the crowds.  He was 'only' 5'8" in height, and wanted to appear taller.   Reportedly, Hitler never had a driver's license, and was always chauffeured anywhere he needed to go, and rode shotgun in the passenger seat.  As per this book, https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250069726/thedevilsmercedes , all 'his' cars were actually owned by the German government motor pool and were. 

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

Walt my friend, this one is for you………

John Adam’s Davis working in Centeral Park, photo was taken a week before the 1930 salon.

74D7B883-01ED-4CEB-AB7F-8068ABE2DF3D.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A photo posted by Rocky Hill on a facebook page - "A 90 year old photo of my grandparents and great-grandparents.  That spare tire cover reads "EN-AR-CO Motor Oil / National Refining Company / White Rose" (gasoline).  My great-grandfather worked at National Refining Company all his life.  What kind of car did he have?? (Findlay, Ohio, 1932).

More re the oil company - question - "Did Nat'l Refining eventually turn into Marathon? - answer - "Yes, I think you're right about that. And, it was Ashland Oil Co. for many years after it was Nat'l Refining. I remember my grandfather working at Ashland Oil until his passing in 1965..."

I think the car is something mid price from circa 1925-26 but not sure just what it is.

May be a black-and-white image of 3 people and people standing

7 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Web says 1903 Darracq in NZ

Darracq+motor+car++1903+chch.jpg

And Paris 1903 40HP Racing

image.png.0a04c15d8d50631dc712f1fe31b753e4.png

Also says Paris racing, unsure of year or HP. Great action photo, too bad it doesn't show more of the car.

4239a4ebee4e17d7a1f7c9fb02078f2a.jpg

The bottom photo is possibly one of the cars in the 1903 Paris-Madrid. Looks to be #103 or #107. I haven't yet found a full entry list although this page from nearly 20 years ago has a link to a contemporary one - but it doesn't work any more -  1903 Paris-Madrid : a question of numbers - TNF's Archive - The Autosport Forums

16 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Web says 1903 Darracq in NZ

Darracq+motor+car++1903+chch.jpg

And Paris 1903 40HP Racing

image.png.0a04c15d8d50631dc712f1fe31b753e4.png

Also says Paris racing, unsure of year or HP. Great action photo, too bad it doesn't show more of the car.

4239a4ebee4e17d7a1f7c9fb02078f2a.jpg

Jacques Edmond driving a Darracq motor car in the 1903 Paris-Madrid rally. 

Edmond Darracq.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1