Jump to content

Period images to relieve some of the stress


Walt G

Recommended Posts

Whatever the make of this automobile, the rear half of the body suggests a "businessman's model", similar to the later business coupe models (such as the green Plymouth).

1d0dd1cef42fe4ada7859488a55aed5a.jpg

Plymouth business coupe.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The photo of the fire department ladder truck was posted as a 1906 Ariel Simplex in Auckland.  A 1906 U.S. Ariel advertisement says "Look For The Oval Front", and indeed a '06 Ariel had an oval radiator shell.  Is the Ariel Simplex a different manufacturer than the Ariel Company of Bridgeport, Connecticutt?  Perhaps Ariel Simplex is a British manufacturer?  There does not seem to be a cross over of multiple names with the U.S. Simplex and Crane-Simplex.

06 Ariel Simplex in Auckland New Zealand.jpg

06 Ariel ad 01.jpg

06 Ariel.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LCK81403 said:

The photo of the fire department ladder truck was posted as a 1906 Ariel Simplex in Auckland.  A 1906 U.S. Ariel advertisement says "Look For The Oval Front", and indeed a '06 Ariel had an oval radiator shell.  Is the Ariel Simplex a different manufacturer than the Ariel Company of Bridgeport, Connecticutt?  Perhaps Ariel Simplex is a British manufacturer?  There does not seem to be a cross over of multiple names with the U.S. Simplex and Crane-Simplex.

06 Ariel Simplex in Auckland New Zealand.jpg

06 Ariel ad 01.jpg

06 Ariel.jpg

I did note that the Ariel was made by a company better known for its motorcycles and posted a link to the company history on Graces Guide. The company was based in Selly Oak, Birmingham, UK. The use of the word Simplex was likely started by Mercedes, and others took it up. There were several companies who aped the Mercedes style radiator.    Ariel Motors (1906) - Graces Guide

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would this 22 Hudson body style be considered a Coach, Victoria or Special body?

Everything I've seen on it has it labeled as a Coach so I'm trying to understand what the difference from Coach and Victoria are. I thought I knew the difference but am second guessing things now. 

 

 

Hudson.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Would this 22 Hudson body style be considered a Coach, Victoria or Special body?

Everything I've seen on it has it labeled as a Coach so I'm trying to understand what the difference from Coach and Victoria are. I thought I knew the difference but am second guessing things now. 

 

 

Hudson.jpg

Seems each car maker used their own terms for body styles - I don't think there were hard and fast rules. Hudson called this one a coach but I would have called it a four passenger coupe. To me a coach would be a square back two door sedan - at least that is what the GM equivalent was. I think to most people a cabriolet should have a convertible top - but my Studebaker cabriolet does not.

 

Image 1 - 1922 Paper Ad Car Auto Automobile Hudson Sedan Speedster Coach Phaeton Detroit

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is an interesting photo.  The bulge in the right front tire appears to threaten the stability of the car and lively hoods of the passengers.  The style of the shirts worn by the men suggests styling norm from about the 1880s through 1910 or 1915 time frame.  Hat styles can suggest something about time periods as well as possible location by the wearer.  In this photo there are three examples of what is known as a "Montana pinch".  The man wearing a dark shirt in the background sports a classic Montana pinch.  Hence a best guess for the location of this photo is possibly Montana, Idaho, or Wyoming.

load.jpg.bf0f4aa936cf6f1576cb01d4c6eae104.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Defining a body style can be difficult as the names used changed as the body style gained or lost features. There was a listing in the 1920s defining what each body style was then in accurate easy to understand terminology but as mentioned a decade later it changed slightly because of the way a trunk at the rear was added, size dictated to or changed, rear quarter window in the body was altered as was the roof line. Some time ago I covered this briefly in a story; that can be elaborated on with images to help understand the transitio0n or change - all of this pre WWII era mostly from 1920 to 1940. It should be in a print publication as online published images are easily "lifted" and then become the property of the "lifter" to use if/when/where without any credit going to those of us who have spent many decades collecting the stuff from obscure places. ( like carriage publications of the era) No room in the AACA magazine for a story as they don't have the pages/space to devote to it according to the Editor.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you, Walt.  Do you now the story or back story on the early term "Stanhope"?  A number of manufacturers sold a Stanhope model.  Was the term Stanhope a person's surname who started the style, the name of a body producer, or something like the elastic term "Victoria"?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

People with hats loved 1906 Thomas Flyers. Can't read the sign on the center photo. 

R (1).jpg

R (12).jpg

R.jpg

Th3e centre photo is quite low res but I can see on the first line - ???? December 25 '08 and on the last line Vic Hanson and Young Coffy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

Thank you, Walt.  Do you now the story or back story on the early term "Stanhope"?  A number of manufacturers sold a Stanhope model.  Was the term Stanhope a person's surname who started the style, the name of a body producer, or something like the elastic term "Victoria"?

To long to go into here on the forums - If I did then i would start to get others asking specific histories of other body styles, just don't have the time to do that sorry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What I see on the sign:

XMAS  AFTERNOON  DECEMBER 25 '21

3 lines illegible

4th line virtually illegible but seems to have a set of three words followed by a "v" and a second set of three words (the "v" signifying "versus"?)

5th line illegible

VIC HANSON  YOUNG COFFY

Assuming that December 25th is a day for recreation, perhaps there was a football or basketball game that day.

 

One Victor Arthur "Vic" Hanson was born July 30, 1903, died April 10, 1982.  He played football and basketball at Syracuse, and I believe he played professional baseball.  In the photo with the automobile, it is possible the man standing proudly in the center could be Vic Hanson.

 

No on-line record of Young Coffy has been found.  In the background of the automobile photo there appears to be an oil derrick with a pump arm and linkage to a hidden electric motor.  Could this location be somewhere in Pennsylvania?

 

 

2057653159_R(12).jpg.e8af129a089307fa777c5d80dfbf8789.jpg

Vic Hanson.jpg

2057653159_R(12).jpg.e8af129a089307fa777c5d80dfbf8789 - Copy.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

What I see on the sign:

XMAS  AFTERNOON  DECEMBER 25 '21

3 lines illegible

4th line virtually illegible but seems to have a set of three words followed by a "v" and a second set of three words (the "v" signifying "versus"?)

5th line illegible

VIC HANSON  YOUNG COFFY

Assuming that December 25th is a day for recreation, perhaps there was a football or basketball game that day.

 

One Victor Arthur "Vic" Hanson was born July 30, 1903, died April 10, 1982.  He played football and basketball at Syracuse, and I believe he played professional baseball.  In the photo with the automobile, it is possible the man standing proudly in the center could be Vic Hanson.

 

No on-line record of Young Coffy has been found.  In the background of the automobile photo there appears to be an oil derrick with a pump arm and linkage to a hidden electric motor.  Could this location be somewhere in Pennsylvania?

 

 

2057653159_R(12).jpg.e8af129a089307fa777c5d80dfbf8789.jpg

Vic Hanson.jpg

2057653159_R(12).jpg.e8af129a089307fa777c5d80dfbf8789 - Copy.jpg


Seems it was a promotion for boxing match

 

image.png.cd865d152509cf4525a786991310f13f.png

 

Signs suggest two errors 

Should be Hansen and Coffey. Probably why you couldn't find it on the web...

 

• Vic Hansen boxer • (boxerlist.com)

BoxRec: Vic Hansen

 

• Walter Coffey boxer • (boxerlist.com)

 

 

Here's a better quality version of the photo so one can see the details of the car better if needed.

All credited to Michael J Semas Collection

 

May be an image of 7 people

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most of Mr Semas collection are of California, and an incredible collection it is...

Antique Images from the Collection of Michael J. Semas | Facebook

No photo description available.

 

General Grant Park of Fresno CA entertaining family visiting from Iowa.

Image taken 1909-1912 by M.G. Waterbury of Mountain View Studio, Neff's Mil

No photo description available.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few more to his credit

 

No photo description available.

 

Gotta love the Graham Bros panel and the Dodge Bros Six Sedan below...

Some historical family information from the facebook link:

 

"Ira and Velma Pratt sit on the front bumper of their ""Dodge Brothers Six Sedan"" at their dairy in Visalia, CA, in 1929. Standing behind the car is daughter Gladys Pratt. The Pratts used the car to drive on their vacation to New York, taking an elapsed time of 117 hours to arrive there. " Now that's a story! 

 

May be an image of 3 people and outdoors

 

Note the "US" on the Post Office sign and the early MaBell sign. Who wouldn't be proud to have either of them...

Incredible shot. Probably the same location as the stage photo above.

 

Thank you Michael for preserving this history.

 

May be an image of 4 people

 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The more I view this photo, the more blown away I am.

 

Again, this information was listed on his facebook page:

"First Auto in Sequoia National Park, California. Image taken by Lindley Eddy of Kaweah, California and postmarked August 9, 1910. On July 14, 1910, a 25hp Hudson driven by Mr. H. T. Hayes drove from Visalia, through Three Rivers and proceeded up the Old Mill Road to Camp Sequoia. This postcard shows his card parked in front of the Giant Forest Store and Hotel."

 

No photo description available.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/14/2022 at 1:36 PM, twin6 said:

ice racers.jpg

The first race in Sweden 1905 on Lake Mälaren. All competitors is on the photo, there where only five participating cars at the event. To the left a Orient Buckboard or All-Velo as it was sold in Sweden, driver was engineer Carl Skånberg. Second a British Star driven by manager Erik Salomon. Third 1903-04 Cadillac Model A Tonneau, driver engineer H.A.Bertheau. Fourth Scania by engineer Viktor Wallenberg. Last a Cadillac Model B Tonneau, driver Richard Björkman. 

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...