Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

9 hours ago, Captain Harley said:

1929 Cadillac All Weather Phaeton?

Capt. Harley😉

it's a 1930 V-8 Fleetwood AWP, full louvres along the hood, '29 had 2/3 of the hood length , strange thing is the horn trumpets, way too long trumpets and not '30 V-8,  short horn left side was oem. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 9:12 PM, twin6 said:

Safe-D-Lites?

Not sure, but the bumper looks like it’s a Weed aftermarket unit? And the big snubbers? Add in the lights…….makes an interesting photo to ponder. And also, the car is so new it was almost certainly fixed…..

Maybe a photo demonstrating aftermarket safety items?

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Another interesting photo…….unusual side mount covers……look close. Front plate bracket is chrome…..rear plate looks to have an unusual topper? You don’t see that wheel choice too often……they also had steel disk wheels in 28/29. Looks like the photo may be taken across the pond. Neat puzzle!

B03A96BD-6971-49F1-B6C1-9088CC342629.png

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Not sure, but the bumper looks like it’s a Weed aftermarket unit? And the big snubbers? Add in the lights…….makes an interesting photo to ponder. And also, the car is so new it was almost certainly fixed…..

Maybe a photo demonstrating aftermarket safety items?

Bumpers seem to be correct for the car. Studebaker of that era used Biflex bumpers, I believe Lincoln used them too.

Regarding to the snubber, it seems to be the original Gabriel Snubbers (interesting manual in the link) used in the EP series.

The safe-d-lite is new to me.

https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fhudsonterraplane.com%2Ftech%2F1927%2FGabrielSnubbers-SkinnedKnucklesArticle.pdf&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cde62437ef93240a9571008d80ace7196%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637271229226523027&sdata=4vi2eg33SYH2DgvYtthGXo5BkUAGE4JB8Uvtg2rjw5k%3D&reserved=0

• Like 1

I should of made the effort to look it up…….bumper and snubbers are stock……..I think 90 percent of Stude’s I have seen are all post 1930. Not sure I have ever seen one from this vintage, and certainly not recently. Interesting factory cowl lights also. In the photo the car appears to be large…….looking up modern photos it seems to be average size. Stude always made nice stuff……….and they were fairly prolific. More than many realize. 

• Like 3

On 7/24/2022 at 12:15 PM, Walt G said:

Marmon V16 in Central Park in NY City, photo by John Adams Davis . Car is facing east . The tail light appears to be a Treslite that was also used by the 1931 to 1933 Franklin Airman series of cars.

MARMON16rearCP.jpg

The Franklin used "Treslite" that was engraved on the top and had 2 mounting bolts on the back. The Marmon used "Marmalite" that was engraved on the top and had 4 mounting bolts on back. They were identical inside. The face with lens was interchangeable, but one had a raised face rim and the other had a smooth face rim. They were probably made by the same company. Also, the car doesn't appear to have any license plates.

Edited by hook
left out (see edit history)
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, hook said:

The Franklin used "Treslite" that was engraved on the top and had 2 mounting bolts on the back. The Marmon used "Marmalite" that was engraved on the top and had 4 mounting bolts on back. They were identical inside. The face with lens was interchangeable, but one had a raised face rim and the other had a smooth face rim. They were probably made by the same company. Also, the car doesn't appear to have any license plates.

OOPs, I made a mistake. The Marmalite does not have 4 mounting bolts only two like the Treslite. Sorry.

• Like 1

Both lights were indeed made by the same company. It was not a huge task to swap the stamping dies around to either stamp in Treslite or Marmalite at the top when a run of the shells were in the press, depending upon the order and need at the time. The light rims on the two lights as mentioned ( thank you) were indeed different so far as the profile on the edge. A small number of companies - mostly producers of luxury cars in that era used/shared similar lights /headlamp lens etc. it was economically sound to do so. The Springfield built R-R that mostly had Brewster coachwork shared the same tail light as the Model L Lincoln .

Most custom bodied cars of the 1925-1932 era all used hardware for the interior supplied by the Harry A. McFarland Co. of Manhattan ( NY CITY)

Even bodies, fenders etc were shared jointly by some makes of cars , I did a story a few decades ago for Special Interest Autos magazine about how Hayes Body Co. supplied Reo, Franklin, and Marmon the same unit minus engine, hood, hubcaps, shell ( for hood front) so they could all offer the less costly car version for their particular make in the 1932-34 era. And customers for the most part did not see the resemblance nor think they were sharing the same major parts.

More history rarely discussed but a very important part of what was going on in that era and the solution that was found acceptable to survive as a company even for just another year...............yes, I view things from a different perspective history wise , try to take in the whole picture to answer the question - WHY?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, edinmass said:

I should of made the effort to look it up…….bumper and snubbers are stock……..I think 90 percent of Stude’s I have seen are all post 1930. Not sure I have ever seen one from this vintage, and certainly not recently. Interesting factory cowl lights also. In the photo the car appears to be large…….looking up modern photos it seems to be average size. Stude always made nice stuff……….and they were fairly prolific. More than many realize. 

The mid/late 1920s was Studebaker's heyday era. Most years they made almost 100,000 cars - 1925 was I think only year over that. The Model EP Big Six ran two years - August 1924-August 1926  - and accounted for 40,000 sales. Unfortunately detailed production records don't exist so it would only be a guess as to how many roadsters were built. In New Zealand they were popular as service cars - predecessors to intercity buses - along with Cadillacs and Hudsons. This one served in the Kennedy Brothers fleet on the West Coast of the South Island.  

25 Big Six.jpg

16 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

The mid/late 1920s was Studebaker's heyday era. Most years they made almost 100,000 cars - 1925 was I think only year over that. The Model EP Big Six ran two years - August 1924-August 1926  - and accounted for 40,000 sales. Unfortunately detailed production records don't exist so it would only be a guess as to how many roadsters were built. In New Zealand they were popular as service cars - predecessors to intercity buses - along with Cadillacs and Hudsons. This one served in the Kennedy Brothers fleet on the West Coast of the South Island.  

25 Big Six.jpg

This one is a Big Six with optional 4 wheel hydraulic brakes. Very complex system with two pistons built in the gear shift box.

From Auckland, New Zealand - courtesy of the Museum of Transport and Technology.  Jessie Thorrington (later Jessie Horton) was a driver for Auckland Luggage Agency. The daughter of one of the owners, Geo Thorrington, Jessie drove luggage vehicles around Auckland as the agency was a furniture delivery and moving company. Photos are of Jessie with what is probably a new at the time Ford T van, her drivers license for heavy vehicles, and her business card.

May be an image of 1 person, standing and outdoors

May be an image of text that says '1444 CITY OF AUCKLAND. app Ng HEAVY TRAFFIC LICENSE. TRAFFIC INSPECTOR'S OFFIct AUCKLAND al 198 Thís ís to Certity that pursuant to the provisions of Sections 47 to 53 inclusive of By- Laws Number 15, regulating heavy traffic, being Vehicle numbered A.C.C. having carrying capacity Seo wheeled moใส is the owner, Tons buslon Sl which of to engage in heavy traffic within the City of SluMa TRAFFIC INSPECTOR. Auckland. Fee 261- Received by is hereby licensed'

May be an image of text that says 'REMIVED MISS J. THORRINGTON, Driver of Motor Le.wiy Covered Delivery Van. TO ALL SUBURSS. DELIVERIES 'Phones 3108 and 3281. 20896 Auckland Luggage A ncy, 51 MACKELVIE ST. and 22C STOM ST.'

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

A 1920s fashion shoot. Any guesses as to what the car might be from the windshield and visor?

May be a black-and-white image of 3 people, people standing and fur coat

Lincoln model L ?

I suspect this is another John Adams Davis photo, and the location is close to or the same as for the Marmon posted earlier.  That has to be one of the most photographed locations in Central Park, perfect for cars with no distractions in the background.

Central Park.jpg

• Like 3

Hmmm.  The background does distract from the automobile.  Perhaps for publication the background "dead trees" were edited out of the final photo product.  My eyes are less attracted to the car than to what appears to be the World War One battlefield at Verdun in the background.

199311374_CentralPark.jpg.39f49e5203ff5dc625100f05b17a30db.jpg

• Like 3

the location was obviously not something that put off any car manufacturer nor custom body builder from using John Adams Davis to photograph their cars for use in magazines, catalogs, etc. He was a most popular commercial photographer and in the top 3 of that field so far as photographing automobiles. Very few even came near his level of quality and that location was what he used for every car he photographed. this is not just my opinion, it is fact.

• Like 3

I have a much better shot somewhere………there are two cars in our garage that were photographed in the same location……..both in 1929……… A PI and a Stearns Knight.

E0E33DE9-BDBE-4E6E-ACAA-C54899497D13.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Absolutely worthy of enhancement:

'31 Packard 845 Waterhouse Sport Sedan - Central Park - John Adams Davis.jpg

I was looking this car over a few weeks ago, in a fantastic collection owned by a gentleman. It’s now a light green, which is a crime.

3FA3D4A5-58C4-42C5-AB61-8E9112BCCA43.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2