Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

The 1910 Simplex Toy Tonneau at $8,000 in 1910 looks real attractive.  I'll just plug those 1910 $8000 into an online inflation calculator and see what a bargain it is.  What?  That used 1910 Simplex had a stick shock price of $232,917.05.  I'll just cheap out on that 1907 Packard limo at a mere $850 1910 dollars -- which is $24,747.44 in 2021 U.S. funny money.  Whew, times are tough all over.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

The 1910 Simplex Toy Tonneau at $8,000 in 1910 looks real attractive.  I'll just plug those 1910 $8000 into an online inflation calculator and see what a bargain it is.  What?  That used 1910 Simplex had a stick shock price of $232,917.05.  I'll just cheap out on that 1907 Packard limo at a mere $850 1910 dollars -- which is $24,747.44 in 2021 U.S. funny money.  Whew, times are tough all over.

The $8,000 price for a used 90hp Simplex is an indication of the rarity and high regard with which that model was held.  It was essentially a factory-built race car available for public purchase.  The highest horsepower concurrently available in a Palmer-Singer was 60, in an Amplex: 50; in an American Traveler: 60; Peerless: 50; Locomobile: 48 and Pierce-Arrow: 66.  Heady territory indeed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

The $8,000 price for a used 90hp Simplex is an indication of the rarity and high regard with which that model was held.  It was essentially a factory-built race car available for public purchase.  The highest horsepower concurrently available in a Palmer-Singer was 60, in an Amplex: 50; in an American Traveler: 60; Peerless: 50; Locomobile: 48 and Pierce-Arrow: 66.  Heady territory indeed.

I have read that in that era you buy a fairly decent sized house for between one and two thousand dollars.  Does anybody know for certain just how much a big house that the sort of person in the market for one of these top of the line cars would be worth?

Of course it is one thing to come up with the money to buy one of these but then there is the cost of tyres for it - not cheap - and someone to look after it.

On the subject of tyre prices I recently found this ad from 17 April 1920. Adams Ltd were the local Studebaker agents.  The prices are quoted in pounds sterling. In that era I think a working man would be earning around 150 to 300 pounds a year - say three to six pounds a week. I know that when my great grandfather built the house on the property we still occupy in 1916 he allowed himself around three to four pounds a week as part of the building costs. Total price of house (two storey three bedrooms) was 745 pounds. On top of that was the cost of stables, well and out buildings.

The ad does not include prices for the very large sizes that might have been seen on the top price American cars as mentioned in the ads above. They didn't exist in NZ. There were a few Packard Twin Sixes and Cadillacs on 25" rims and I can imagine the tyres for those being priced even higher.

SUNCH19200417.2.11.2-a3-698w-c32 (2).jpg

23 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

I've always wondered how people could buy a high end car 1900- 1907 for the costs mentioned above and then stuff it a barn with several others bought 2-3 years later and just let them sit until found in the late 1940's? Guess the dividend checks just rolled in and you spent the new money. Bob 

• Haha 1

On 11/16/2021 at 11:12 AM, HK500 said:

Well I guess my Tin Shed comment about the Tri-motor wing in the background went over like a flying brick - I'm reduced to quoting Foghorn Leghorn - "I say it's a joke, son":-)    OK no joking around this time! - Taken at the 1911 International Aviation Meet held at Grant Park in Chicago.  My folks met the original photographer at this event, a Mr. Padgett, who was a neighbor.  Many of the famous aviators of the time attended,  and many of them didn't survive another year because of the inherent un-reliability of their aircraft was the story Mr. Padgett told.   The auto is really hard to identify, it has some sort of advertising banner on top of the hood. 

1911ChicagoInternationalAviationMeet.jpg

And just to show how connected we all are when I was in High School back in the mid 60’s a friend had a neighbor lady who must have been in her middle 80’s then who had attended the show in 1911 in Chicago. She had a panoramic picture of what she said were all the aircraft at the show in flight.  She said she still remembered it clearly and how excited a lot of the attendees were by the planes.  

• Like 1

How interesting it must have been to hear the words of that neighbor lady who attended the air show in 1911. First person and primary witness to history - can't beat it. As both a local state /village historian and an automotive historian to talk to and listen to those people is amazing. They can recall details of what happened when they were young and at an event that made an impression better then later experiences which perhaps were not as dramatic. I have been fortunate enough to be able to do this and recognize that the opportunity will be fleeting as that same person may not be around long enough for you to hear it twice. Always great to hear the perspective from someone who was there rather then the sometimes flawed report from a person hired to cover the event. The "grass roots" narrative is always more interesting, and most often never "puffed up" to capture an audience. One just has to know what questions to ask to get a great perspective of what went on.

Edited by Walt G
grammar correction to clarify (see edit history)
  • Like 4

In 1969 and the first half of 1970 I was the editor of Northern Lights, the 8-times-a-year magazine of the Minnesota Region AACA.  I enjoyed putting together a page called Minnesota Pioneers, for which I would find someone who had used cars before WWI.  If he (it was always a he) had pictures, I'd start him talking and publish some of his experiences from the days when cars were a new phenomenon.  It couldn't happen now, of course; they're all long dead.

• Like 2

Picture taken about 1910-1911 of my great uncle, Robert Pendleton. At the time he was working as the chauffeur/mechanic for a well-to-do family in New London Connecticut (oddly named "Poor"). He drove their 48 HP Locomobile but, for errands and his own use they bought this runabout which I think is a very early Hudson - although someone here may well know better.

The Loco...

1827176276_UncleBobbigcar.jpg.ca8e8b75385b7092eb6b4c36074bd75f.jpg

Uncle Bob...

1246224432_UncleBob.jpg.26c7f014917ef26a2cb9d0a4a6eee31b.jpg

I was very young when he died so I have little memory of him. My grandmother (his younger sister) told me he wanted to volunteer for the Spanish-American War but his father wouldn't allow it so he ran away to the Klondike and the family didn't see him for two or three years. Although he was well over the draft age, he served in WWI as a motorcycle dispatch rider.

• Like 3

Thanks Ed, this 1928 Franklin series 12b ( built in the 2nd half of the year), has all the bells & whistles. Side mounted spare tires, wire wheels , and a deluxe airplane mascot ( no its not a radiator cap!). Charles Lindbergh had a 1928 series 12 sport sedan like this that he received as a gift from the Franklin company for his record breaking flight across the Atlantic ocean. It was one of the very few gifts he accepted for his journey and it was kept at his house in NJ and regularly driven to Sands Point on long island when he visited his friend Harry Guggenheim.  The car was given by Lindbergh to the Henry Ford museum, and was missing a few hubcaps and they were given to the museum for the car by Austin Clark.

Lindbergh had this car and a 1930 Franklin 4 door convertible speedster ( custom body by Dietrich) serviced at the Pase Franklin dealership on the west side of Columbus Circle . Have more to that story but don't want to clog up this thread and the AACA magazine has no room so it will be told some day some place.

• Like 5

Ed, the Franklin factory mirror on top of the fender was a very high class well made item and fitted to all the 1928 series 12-B Franklins . These cars were starting to be produced in the second half of 1928, first half was the series 12 - a. The 1928 Franklins had 4 wheel hydraulic brakes for the first time. Also in 1928 on the cars that had a longer wheelbase they started to use steel frames/chassis.  The mirrors mounted on the fender were done at the factory and never appeared on other Franklins made from 1929 until 1934 when production ceased. The back of the mirror has the Franklin script on it as well. A round head for the mirror was used on some cars but the rectangular style in the photo is one I wish I had an example of in my collection ! They are just beautiful.

Here is a sales catalog image of the same car. ( more useless forgotten information on the AACA Forums)

Franklin192812Bsportsedansalescat.jpg

• Like 5

19 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

Picture taken about 1910-1911 of my great uncle, Robert Pendleton. At the time he was working as the chauffeur/mechanic for a well-to-do family in New London Connecticut (oddly named "Poor"). He drove their 48 HP Locomobile but, for errands and his own use they bought this runabout which I think is a very early Hudson - although someone here may well know better.

The Loco...

Uncle Bob...

I was very young when he died so I have little memory of him. My grandmother (his younger sister) told me he wanted to volunteer for the Spanish-American War but his father wouldn't allow it so he ran away to the Klondike and the family didn't see him for two or three years. Although he was well over the draft age, he served in WWI as a motorcycle dispatch rider.

Here are a couple better looks, sorry I couldn't get the Locomobile better than this:

Locomobile 48 - Uncle Bob big car.jpg

'10 Hudson 20 - Uncle Bob runabout.jpg

• Like 3

A mystery touring car. The curved forward edge of the rear fender is a distinctive feature.

It is too big to be a Dodge. The structure of the running board end is reminiscent of Marmon but I have not found a match with a Marmon. 

It has been suggested it might be a Case but the Case cars I have found all have suicide rear doors and they don't have that 'Marmon-like' running board construction.

20s auto Chris Rini from Thomas Lunt curved fender front.jpg

• Like 1

1931 Chevrolet coupe de ville in Finland. This is a mystery car in that it apparently arrived from the US already built like that. It looks to me to be a standard Fisher four door sedan with modifications to the driver's compartment. From what I can decipher from the ad it is a 'city car with an interior as fine as more expensive models'. The upper part of the test refers to the five passenger coupe model.

aaca fb 31 Chev CdV Mike Jaakkola.jpg

aaca fb 31.jpg

• Like 4

By golly that is one slick looking '31 Chevy.  The visual impact reminds that the Ford Model A was a baby Lincoln, and now this '31 Chevy looks like a baby Cadillac town car.  Thank you for posting this wonderful photo and new data point of automotive history.

31 Chevrolet Coupe de Ville in Finland.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

A mystery touring car. The curved forward edge of the rear fender is a distinctive feature.

It is too big to be a Dodge. The structure of the running board end is reminiscent of Marmon but I have not found a match with a Marmon. 

It has been suggested it might be a Case but the Case cars I have found all have suicide rear doors and they don't have that 'Marmon-like' running board construction.

20s auto Chris Rini from Thomas Lunt curved fender front.jpg

Many thanks to Leif Holmberg who found this pic on ebay which is close match to our mystery touring. I see detail differences with the hood bows and the windshield frame but the rest looks fairly good. It is noted as 'c 1920 Marmon' - so the exact year be either side of that.

I knew it had to be a Marmon by the manner of construction of the running board.

20 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

s-l1600 (2).jpg

The 1936 Packard Senior car Lineup, and by close analysis of the bumpers and hood vents, they are, left to right, Twelve, Super Eight, And Eight.  But you know the hood vents are kind of overshadowed by the excellent hood ornament don't you think?

36PackardLineup.jpg

• Like 2

I'm betting this Curtiss Aerocar has already been posted but can't recall. Thought this may interest some of the bicycle and motorcycle guys as well who may not know.  

image.png.35d7e79bba83fd91c77fa07f10ca908a.png

Said to be a Curtiss powered air ballon lead by Thomas Scott Baldwin 1904 

Photo | Baldwin's Airship (1904) (futura-sciences.com)

Baldwin's Airship (1904)

See the source image

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The photo labeled as 1936 Packard line-up is interesting for the radiator/hood decoration.  I try to keep a photo library of decoration and ornamentation on cars and trucks, with the validity of identification based on accurate reporting and/or on-going photo-analysis.  The photo of the '36 Packard line-up shows two different types of radiator decoration: one, a swan with outstretched wings, and two, the so-called flying lady holding a wheel.  According to the illustration of Packard ornaments, the winged swan was optional prior to 1939 but it does not specify a date when it actually started to be use.  Is there a resource for documentation and authentication of automobile decoration and ornamentation?

36 Packard Lineup 01-04.jpg

36 Packard Lineup 02-04.jpg

36 Packard Lineup 03-04.jpg

36 Packard Lineup 04-04.jpg

Packard 001 deco.jpg

Packard 002 deco.jpg

On 11/22/2021 at 9:10 AM, nzcarnerd said:

1931 Chevrolet coupe de ville in Finland. This is a mystery car in that it apparently arrived from the US already built like that. It looks to me to be a standard Fisher four door sedan with modifications to the driver's compartment. From what I can decipher from the ad it is a 'city car with an interior as fine as more expensive models'. The upper part of the test refers to the five passenger coupe model.

aaca fb 31 Chev CdV Mike Jaakkola.jpg

aaca fb 31.jpg

It was a gift from General Motors to the President of Finland Pehr Edvin Svinhufvud given on 6th of June 1931. It was reporter that the aged President get so exited that hela promised to learn to drive and get a driver's licence.

Yes, it arrived already built like that from the US, probably General Motors Nordiska Ab in Sweden was somewhat involved.

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2