Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

10 minutes ago, twin6 said:

Not pre-WW2 but still kind of vintage, looks like a 1954 plate.  With all the Duesenberg enthusiasts looking to reduce stress, I thought this would be a worthwhile contribution. Where is it today?

1954.jpg

Nettercutt Museum 20 Grand. It use to be in the Twin Cites Minnesota. I believe Mr. Archer from the company ADM owned it 

• Like 2

I saw that tan Minerva yesterday again, it is in a friends shop and he owns the car. Very very happy that he finally owns the car - it has an excellent home.  Perfect fellow to have the car in his collection.

I have many period photographs taken at the European motor shows and salons in the pre WWII era about to appear in a magazine that has just been mailed to subscribers , just so many more that need to be in a follow up story at some point . All taken by a professional photographer when the shows happened in the ca. 1927 to 1937 era.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 34LaSalleClubSedan said:

Nettercutt Museum 20 Grand. It use to be in the Twin Cites Minnesota. I believe Mr. Archer from the company ADM owned it 

The Nethercutt is awesome but the silver doesn’t look right on the Rollston Arlington.

• Like 3

On 6/17/2021 at 3:09 PM, Robert G. Smits said:

Another from the box of photos I recently discovered labeled “family photos”. I wish I had some family history to go with them.  Notice the group standing across the fence watching. Must be a local race  or speed event. 

CF631784-5D07-45A5-A8DC-E0E2F595D577.jpeg

I think this photo is from the same event as the 6/17 photo. December 1930 scribbled on the back. Apologies for the poor quality. 

2781FA7C-11E2-483B-8CF5-3EFD3A47F66E.jpeg

• Like 1

If I posted this previously I apologize. 1912 Studebaker/Flanders from a sales book in my collection. This is the year Studebaker took control of EMF and rebadged the Flanders 20. This allowed Studebaker to cancel their long-standing contract with Garford and start manufacturing a complete car

3EC0D75E-23DF-4E8D-AB75-685204F551DD.jpeg

C5ADF058-5B18-41DF-9A57-936DE41C76B8.jpeg

CB297E40-008B-4182-B489-D2D920EB8B27.jpeg

Edited by Robert G. Smits
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Ah, advertising illustration and photographic reality are two different things.  Attached are two bits of advertising for the 1939 Chrysler.  The illustrated versions of the Chrysler makes it low low, sleek, and fast.  One illustration shows a black 4-door and a red 2-door, the second illustration shows people sitting three abreast in a portion of a yellow Chrysler, with a low and sleek red 4-door is below it.  Comparing the head room that the three people have in the yellow car with the squat / squashed appearance of the red 4-door, "Royal" model, one has to question to integrity of the advertisement.

The attached photos of a '39 Chrysler black 4-door, and a '39 Chrysler Royal 2-door shows the reality of the illustrator's artistic license.

39 Chrysler ad 021.jpg

39 Chrysler brochure.jpg

39 Chrysler 4Dr profile.jpg

39 Chrysler Royal Brougham 2DR 002.jpg

• Like 2

There are a lot of people on this forum who have sharp eyes for detail.  It is surprising that no one has yet chimed in with an artistic detail in the 1939 Chrysler advertising photo.  In the upper right of the illustration there appears to be a 1938 Dymaxion.  The shark fin on the rear of the illustrated Dymaxion is so shaded that it is nearly invisible on first inspection of the illustration, nonetheless the fin is there on close inspection.

The other subtle artistic impression is the sweep of the '39 Chrysler roof line more closely matches the trailing roofline of the Dymaxion than it does the actual Chrysler car.

39 Chrysler ad.jpg

39 Chrysler ad - Copy.jpg

38 Dymaxion.jpg

• Like 6

The white Cadillac is interesting.  It reminds me of two Cadillac photos that have been posted on this forum a good while back.  (I keep virtually all of the posted photos on an off-board drive.)  One forum photo is captioned 1931 Cadillac Hose Car, while the second photo was simply labeled Cadillac fire truck.  A question then arises, is the white Cadillac a modified Madam X (that catches AACA people's hair on fire), or is it actually a Cadillac fire truck / hose truck reborn as a civilian "classic car?"  As a fire hose car or fire truck it is a curiosity, but as a civilian classic car it is difficult to un-see.

Cadillac V-16 Fleetwood Series 4100 Madam X modified.png

31 Cadillac Fire Hose C Truck.jpg

Cadillac fire truck.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

There are a lot of people on this forum who have sharp eyes for detail.  It is surprising that no one has yet chimed in with an artistic detail in the 1939 Chrysler advertising photo.  In the upper right of the illustration there appears to be a 1938 Dymaxion.  The shark fin on the rear of the illustrated Dymaxion is so shaded that it is nearly invisible on first inspection of the illustration, nonetheless the fin is there on close inspection.

The other subtle artistic impression is the sweep of the '39 Chrysler roof line more closely matches the trailing roofline of the Dymaxion than it does the actual Chrysler car.

39 Chrysler ad.jpg

39 Chrysler ad - Copy.jpg

38 Dymaxion.jpg

You have a great eye for details. Thanks for pointing this out. Maybe it is time to get my Cateracts done.