Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

On 1/22/2021 at 11:36 AM, LCK81403 said:

The photo of a Cord funeral and ambulance vehicle was posted earlier by Edinmass.  Either there were/are two of the stretched Cords, or perhaps the same vehicle slightly modified.  The first attached Cord is the funeral/ambulance model, the second photo shows a stretched Cord, but it has a roof rack and a radiator-mascot on the hood.  

Cord stretched funeral and ambulance.png

Cord stretched.jpg

Luggage rack on a funeral car? I have to get one of those!

4 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Stanley in Canley UK 1922

Nice depth in these shots. Always loved the garage photos 

1922.jpg

I guess your word 'Stanley' is a Typo? These are Standard cars. I know someone who owns one of these - the model designation is SLO which is rather unfortunate as it actually goes very well bearing in mind its small engine size and age - early 1920s. I think Standard Triumph - by then part of British Leyland were still building cars at Canley into the 1980s.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Christchurch New Zealand

"Farmers Co-Op Garage" 1917

1917.jpg

This is Farmers' Motor garage where owners from out of town could leave their cars and do their business in town. They also had a substantial workshop.  They were Hupmobile agents in that era. I presume the cars in the foreground are new ones being prepared for sale - 

17 poss Christchurch, Farmers Co op Garage Hupmobiles.jpg

• Like 3

I had a Wheaton Golden mix that loved to ride on the cover of the pickup while we were hauling my daughters horses. He would open the rear sliding window and crawl out there and sleep. Cars would pull up along side us and honk their horns and point to the dog. He didn’t like to come back in but would reluctantly. 
dave s 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Standard motor car for sure.  In the time period of the garage photo, about 1913 or so, the Standard had a unique radiator shroud that was similar to the later Minerva.  The green color Standard is a 1913 Model S.  The '22 Minerva has a similar looking radiator shroud but is physically larger than the Standard's.

Standard.jpg

13 Standard Model S Tourer.jpg

22 Minerva Salmon & Sons 03-13.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twin6 said:

I believe so, but is the body custom?

My Lincoln reference show its was the Brunn-designed Model 111 Sport Roadster, built either by Towson and Lang and later Murray,   The top, wind-wings and visor custom additions. 

7 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

What's the saying? Store up treasures in heaven...?

Knowing my luck I'd get there and St Peter would say "pack your $&%# dude, your going down"

See the source image

That old Pontiac has gotten a LOT of air. Hope there's a really solid ramp just outside the frame!

• Like 1

Took me a while to catch up on this thread. Here's a picture of our 1914 Chandler when it was purchased from the original owner in 1958. The 2nd owners grandchildren are in the car.

I really cherish this photo as a reference to hold the car looked over 60 years ago. A couple of years later it got a full restoration and has spent the rest of its like touring and making people happy.

The second photo is from the 1964 Cattle Congress where the rolling chassis was on display. Incidentally the third caretaker of this car is the one who did the restoration.

Pictures form Dr. Moore001.jpg

1964 Cattle Congress001.jpg

• Like 3

1913 Chandler "Grandpa" (4th one built) with Col. King Stanley and his wife. I just noticed that this photo is probably from the early 1920's looking at the license plate. Given that the car had traveled over 269,000 miles at this point the top has been replaced at least once. Chandler introduced their "bowtie" rear window in 1923 I think. The Stanley's probably picked up on this when they had their new top made.

E91EA381-3E5D-4670-900F-9E48430644CB.JPG

Edited by 29 Chandler (see edit history)
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Tph479 said:

Packard snowplow with tire chains 

E704ED3F-4004-41A6-B84D-DC8CFAE1CA1C.png

Didn't the late George Jepsen of N.J. have a Packard roadster such as this back in the early 1950s and also a service station ( note the air pump) I think he may have used the Packard like this when the classics weren't as valuable as they are currently. George and his wife Bea were the absolute best , some of the finest people I have met in the old car hobby.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Standard motor car for sure.  In the time period of the garage photo, about 1913 or so, the Standard had a unique radiator shroud that was similar to the later Minerva.  The green color Standard is a 1913 Model S.  The '22 Minerva has a similar looking radiator shroud but is physically larger than the Standard's.

Standard.jpg

13 Standard Model S Tourer.jpg

22 Minerva Salmon & Sons 03-13.jpg

An even earlier Standard - circa 1907-09 - outside the premises of JS Hawkes in Gloucester St, Christchurch, New Zealand circa 1910.

JS Hawkes Ltd, Gloucester St,Christchurch (2).jpg

JS Hawkes Ltd, Gloucester St,Christchurch.jpg

• Like 2

These two photos are not really 'period images' but I happened across them in my files. Two photos taken 50 years apart - 1965 and 2015. Same car, same owner. Some may be familiar with Brian Rankine who owns Doble E13. I don't know him personally but Barry Barnes, who took both photos 50 years apart I think does.

Brian Rankine Stutz at Milford in 65 B Barnes photo.jpg

Brain Rankine Stutz at Mt Cook 2015 B Barnes photo.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 29 Chandler said:

1915 Chandler Closed car

IMG_5098.jpg

Chris, I believe the body on this car was designed and built by the Willoughby Company of Utica, N.Y. I have additional photos of the car under construction, interior, etc.

35+ years ago I purchased a huge collection of Willoughby period photographs at an antique show on Rt.20 just south of Utica, N.Y. a short distance from where the factory was and the Willoughby family resided. Among the items were Francis Willoughby's personal photo albums of the bodies his company built that are bound and signed by him in fountain pen. Many other makes are represented and I shared one of a Cole automobile with someone here who then posted it and did not give me credit as to where it came from (!!!!) - I will not share any further photos of any Willoughby bodied cars because of this . They will eventually form the basis for an in depth history of the company that will be published in a periodical . The AACA magazine would be perfect for this but I have been informed that it is impossible to find room for articles of 4 or more pages in any of the issues of that magazine.

• Like 2

A story with a tragic ending. In 1917 Cecil Hill was brought to New Zealand from England to be chief flying instructor at the new Sockburn aerodrome on the outskirts of Christchurch. It late became Wigram airbase - later home of the well-known annual Lady Wigram Trophy car race from 1949 - and was closed in the 1990s. It was basically swallowed up by the city and is now a housing development.

Cecil Hill brought his own car with him, a 1912 (French) Vermorel. The tragic end came in February 1919 when he was demonstrating a locally built aircraft.

Christchurch crowd's horrified silence as stuntman's plane plummeted - NZ Herald

17 circa Cecil Hill first instructor Sockburn died Feb 19 crash 12 Vermorel car.jpg

26 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Chris, I believe the body on this car was designed and built by the Willoughby Company of Utica, N.Y. I have additional photos of the car under construction, interior, etc.

35+ years ago I purchased a huge collection of Willoughby period photographs at an antique show on Rt.20 just south of Utica, N.Y. a short distance from where the factory was and the Willoughby family resided. Among the items were Francis Willoughby's personal photo albums of the bodies his company built that are bound and signed by him in fountain pen. Many other makes are represented and I shared one of a Cole automobile with someone here who then posted it and did not give me credit as to where it came from (!!!!) - I will not share any further photos of any Willoughby bodied cars because of this . They will eventually form the basis for an in depth history of the company that will be published in a periodical . The AACA magazine would be perfect for this but I have been informed that it is impossible to find room for articles of 4 or more pages in any of the issues of that magazine.

That is very interesting Walt. I always believed that the sedan that Chandler reported to have offered in 1914 was made by Willoughby and looked much different than the 1915 body. Now I think it is very likely there were the same model. This is the only picture of a Chandler Sedan this early that I have been able to find. You and I corresponded a few years ago about a sedan body I had sitting on a 1920 Chandler frame. I had thought that might have been the Chandler Willoughby sedan. Based on this information I am confident it was built for some other make, maybe Cole as the only gauge in the dash was labeled Cole.

I very much look forward to your article. Its a shame the AACA magazine cannot find room for it.

• Thanks 1

Hi Chris, I do recall our exchange of information about the sedan body on the Chandler chassis you have some years ago. It is hard to decide sometimes what chassis a coach built body is on. A loop magnifying glass is perhaps a help if one can read the hubcap lettering! I learned this and used to do it when I worked for Austin Clark in his library and we were trying to do a project he had an inquiry on. Lots of eye strain and headaches ( still!) but it can put a name to what a car is. This goes for body builder tags on car - they are even harder to see then hubcap lettering! Fortunately many period photos have written on the back in pencil the type of car and sometimes the body.

All this research takes time, there is no instant answer at the press of a button. Fortunately many prints for photos were made with glass plate negatives ( some over 9 x 10 inches in size) and they can be wonderful for detail

Walt

3 hours ago, twin6 said:

Col King Stanley.jpg

Looks like "Grandpa" Stanley's 1913 Chandler was retired and replaced with a 1925 Cleveland with the "OneShot" oil system for the chassis. Cleveland cars were an off shoot of Chandler to offer a range of cars in the lower price market.

Edited by 29 Chandler (see edit history)

On 1/23/2021 at 2:24 PM, edinmass said:

Ok boys........comments on this one please.Year, Make, and Body Builder.

4FEE77DF-CDBA-45C7-A9EB-D158A347D3F2.png

Better late than never... I had to do some digging.  Believe this to be a Packard 3rd series 8 (1927), with owner Florence Powers on board.  Body possibly by Locke?

23 minutes ago, twin6 said:

Better late than never... I had to do some digging.  Believe this to be a Packard 3rd series 8 (1927), with owner Florence Powers on board.  Body possibly by Locke?

I was told its a French body.....makes sense with the Arch de Triumph in the background. Hood doesn't look like anything American I have ever seen. See photo caption below, factory archive from Packard.......

Packard Co. file photograph of a 1927 Packard right side view, light in color, top lowered, female standing on running board. Inscribed on photo back: "Packard 343, third series eight, 8-cylinder, 106-horsepower, 143-inch wheelbase, 2/4-person special runabout and/or roadster, note right-hand drive, see lady's hand on steering wheel, bulb horn & drum type spot light mounted at right: tail lamp, 6-lug wheels, tail lamp of type introduced on third series eight, wing nut securing spare wheels to the support arm, drum-type spot light, unusual hood louvers, coach builder's plate on body sill at cowl base, Mrs. Walter Powers, photographed in Paris, France."

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would like to give some people I know several hundred dollars in cash, if they get in line and spend it purchasing brains.......even at twenty five cents per serving.............three hundred dollars probably won’t even get them to the point of remembering to put the trash out once a week. 

34C87776-FF22-4EA8-932F-2F350E7BBEFA.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, edinmass said:

I would like to give some people I know several hundred dollars in cash, if they get in line and spend it purchasing brains.......even at twenty five cents per serving.............three hundred dollars probably won’t even get them to the point of remembering to put the trash out once a week. 

34C87776-FF22-4EA8-932F-2F350E7BBEFA.png

I seem to recall seeing that photo in National Lampoon on their 'True Facts' page!!

Craig