Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

On 1/14/2021 at 9:47 PM, wayne sheldon said:

Was this photo taken before or after the fire?

I have known for a long time that a bunch of historically significant cars were displayed at that show, and generally understood they were lost. I did not know of any being restored or salvaged except for a maybe a 1908ish Packard roadster (good to hear about that again). Barney Oldfield's Golden Submarine was eventually recreated after the original on display was destroyed.

Wayne, I never knew the Golden Submarine was in the LA Fire. The clone used a MILLER Aircraft engine. Were are the remains of this car?

HNicholsMiller.jpg

• Like 1

I have more images coming everyone ! , I  have been involved with a lot of research and just proof read a major story with a lot of period photographs I did for a new publication that will hopefully make its debut as scheduled in about 6 weeks. Also have to tape a TV program on Brewster & Co. in 2 1/2 weeks so am pulling things for that from my archives. SO this is retirement huh.............................. 🙃

• Like 2

That White stake truck and the sign attached is just priceless!  this is the kind of picture that takes us back into the era so well - look at the beautiful hand lettering on that sign. Commentary on the language as well - how many kids still call their female parent "mama" , and it is a glass bottle with a paper label too in the artwork - A total time warp. I view this from the perspective of not just an auto historian but also an appointed local historian for many decades. It is a social history as well as a vehicle history.

Walt

• Like 2

2 hours ago, twin6 said:

Still thinking about Christmas?

Olds.jpg

Santa brought this down the chimney for Steve Moskowitz

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dictator27 said:

1929 Chrysler Imperial

Is it?  Both Chrysler Imperial L-80 and Vauxhall had the fluted hood design, but the wheels don't seem to match and it doesn't appear as large as the Imperials were.   Any idea who the coachbuilder was?  

4 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Thanks, I didn't know the correct model but was sure it was a Vauxhall.  Was that a factory-supplied body style or custom coachbuilt?

It was a limited production factory custom. Suggestion that maybe less than 50 built. I have not gone into it.

I do know that Holdens in Australia built a small number of similar bodies on Chevrolets to create the Moonlight Speedster.

More info on the Vauxhall here - Vauxhall 20/60 Hurlingham – A record of existing cars (wordpress.com)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

A Horch and two Voisins.

Thank you nzcarnerd, I knew I had seen cars like the two before, but couldn't recall what they were. Saw your identification and said to my self "Voisins, of course!" With the Horch there, makes it quite a display of fine European cars! I wonder where this was taken, and what the event was?

1 minute ago, wayne sheldon said:

Thank you nzcarnerd, I knew I had seen cars like the two before, but couldn't recall what they were. Saw your identification and said to my self "Voisins, of course!" With the Horch there, makes it quite a display of fine European cars! I wonder where this was taken, and what the event was?

The photo showed up on a facebook page a couple of days ago. The 8 badge and various other thing had people trying to identify it as American - but of course the combination of features didn't match any one American car. That 8 badge certainly looks Studebaker-like but those pillars under the lamps are a GM thing. Many European makers in that era aped American styling features for a few years.