Period images to relieve some of the stress

I have more images coming everyone ! , I  have been involved with a lot of research and just proof read a major story with a lot of period photographs I did for a new publication that will hopefully make its debut as scheduled in about 6 weeks. Also have to tape a TV program on Brewster & Co. in 2 1/2 weeks so am pulling things for that from my archives. SO this is retirement huh.............................. 🙃

• Like 2

That White stake truck and the sign attached is just priceless!  this is the kind of picture that takes us back into the era so well - look at the beautiful hand lettering on that sign. Commentary on the language as well - how many kids still call their female parent "mama" , and it is a glass bottle with a paper label too in the artwork - A total time warp. I view this from the perspective of not just an auto historian but also an appointed local historian for many decades. It is a social history as well as a vehicle history.

Walt

• Like 2
2 hours ago, dictator27 said:

1929 Chrysler Imperial

Is it?  Both Chrysler Imperial L-80 and Vauxhall had the fluted hood design, but the wheels don't seem to match and it doesn't appear as large as the Imperials were.   Any idea who the coachbuilder was?  

17 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

No, a Vauxhall 20-60 Hurlingham. 

Thanks, I didn't know the correct model but was sure it was a Vauxhall.  Was that a factory-supplied body style or custom coachbuilt?

4 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Thanks, I didn't know the correct model but was sure it was a Vauxhall.  Was that a factory-supplied body style or custom coachbuilt?

It was a limited production factory custom. Suggestion that maybe less than 50 built. I have not gone into it.

I do know that Holdens in Australia built a small number of similar bodies on Chevrolets to create the Moonlight Speedster.

More info on the Vauxhall here - Vauxhall 20/60 Hurlingham – A record of existing cars (wordpress.com)

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

A Horch and two Voisins.

Thank you nzcarnerd, I knew I had seen cars like the two before, but couldn't recall what they were. Saw your identification and said to my self "Voisins, of course!" With the Horch there, makes it quite a display of fine European cars! I wonder where this was taken, and what the event was?

1 minute ago, wayne sheldon said:

Thank you nzcarnerd, I knew I had seen cars like the two before, but couldn't recall what they were. Saw your identification and said to my self "Voisins, of course!" With the Horch there, makes it quite a display of fine European cars! I wonder where this was taken, and what the event was?

The photo showed up on a facebook page a couple of days ago. The 8 badge and various other thing had people trying to identify it as American - but of course the combination of features didn't match any one American car. That 8 badge certainly looks Studebaker-like but those pillars under the lamps are a GM thing. Many European makers in that era aped American styling features for a few years.

15 hours ago, randy ema said:

I got those photos off a Facebook page....I went back and here is some more info that they have in the thread..

The Facebook page is "Scale Cadillac" if you have Facebook you should be able to search it. I think someone also posted to the AACA Facebook page so you could start there and make your way back to the source.

𝗪𝗵𝗼 𝗺𝗮𝗱𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝘀𝘁 𝗰𝗹𝗼𝘀𝗲𝗱 𝗯𝗼𝗱𝘆 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗖𝗮𝗱𝗶𝗹𝗹𝗮𝗰?
Хто виготовив перший закритий кузов для Cadillac?

At the end of 1905, Cadillac presented its founder Henry Leland the first completely enclosed car in the company's history. The small single-cylinder coupe was liked by 62-year-old Henry, who drove it for many years — even after Cadillac began producing 4- and 8-cylinder cars.

Where did this body come from? And here begins a real detective story.

According to the first version, the authorship is attributed to the Detroit firm Sievers & Erdman. This is written in the reference site of automotive coachbuilding (link left in the comments) and several publications that refer to Cadillac information (for example, «80 years of Cadillac La Salle», Walter M. McCall).

And more! The Sievers & Erdman own history states that it «supplied most of Cadillac’s closed bodies prior to 1910; initially wood paneled, they were supplanted with metal body panels, first of aluminum, then steel».

Everything is clear, isn't it? But acclaimed Cadillac historian Maurice D. Hendry cites a different version. Here is what he writes in the book «Cadillac, standard of the world»: «The body was built under the supervision of Fred J. Fisher in the Wilson Body Company plant in Detroit (who became later the founder of a company that for many years created bodies for Cadillac. - Aut.)».

And the most interesting thing is that this information is confirmed by the same reference site that gives the authorship of the body Sievers & Erdman (link in the comment)!

So whose hands actually created the iconic car? If you know the answer, please write it in the comments.

• Like 1

I am taking an educated guess here ( should look at the original sales catalog I have on the company and period 8 x 10 photos as well) but the town car I believe has coachwork ( and fenders ) by Don Lee in California.

The photo of a Cord funeral and ambulance vehicle was posted earlier by Edinmass.  Either there were/are two of the stretched Cords, or perhaps the same vehicle slightly modified.  The first attached Cord is the funeral/ambulance model, the second photo shows a stretched Cord, but it has a roof rack and a radiator-mascot on the hood.  

Cord stretched funeral and ambulance.png

Cord stretched.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, great photo.  The owner plugged two porkers with a Savage Model-99.  Looks like he has a Colt New Service revolver in that cavalry holster.

Pierce-Arrow.jpg

hogs.jpg

Looks like feral pigs have been around a long time. I really like the car but the clothes sure don't fit with a hog hunt. Can you imagine showing up at a hunting camp dressed like that today?

11 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Wow, great photo.  The owner plugged two porkers with a Savage Model-99.  Looks like he has a Colt New Service revolver in that cavalry holster.

Pierce-Arrow.jpg

I'm no firearms expert - I thought it was a twin boar side by side

• Like 2