Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

I have always found the cross over era of horses and cars to be fastening. Imagine being a rather long in the years teamster having driven horses thousands of miles over dirt roads at three miles per hour. You see the new technology coming fast.........looking to take your job away from you......and your too old or just not skilled enough to transition to the new gasoline powered trucks. The technology shifting from 1890 to 1910 was just as stunning as the on line dial up home computer to the first smart phone of just a few years ago. 

0DE7D576-C87B-4FCB-A879-33D6C00B08DD.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Help me out.  We covered the L29 "Falcon" somewhere in this thread already?  Correct?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_(1936_film)

L29-Falcon.jpg

Not that I remember. First time I have ever seen this car. It’s fifty times better than “The Flying Wombat!”

3 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Not that I remember. First time I have ever seen this car. It’s fifty times better than “The Flying Wombat!”

You seem to have a lot of holes in your encyclopedia brain.    If we haven't covered it I'll fill everyone in.    You know about this one too?   A friend of ours owns what is left of it.

July 18 Thumb Drive 2 284.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, edinmass said:

But Ed, The Flying Wombat has a much cooler sounding name !!!  Just think of the attention and prestige you could get at " PB" if you posed next to a car with a jacket emblazoned with the words " I own a Wombat" on it!  Bright blue jacket, day glo pink letters. 🤩

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Walt G said:

But Ed, The Flying Wombat has a much cooler sounding name !!!  Just think of the attention and prestige you could get at " PB" if you posed next to a car with a jacket emblazoned with the words " I own a Wombat" on it!  Bright blue jacket, day glo pink letters. 🤩

The "Flying Wombat" is cool.   Thankfully it is still with us and was not broken up for its Cord parts like the Comet/Falcon was.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/29/f5/61/29f561f5e47d86a34f474ebe5e55068a.jpg

https://www.vanderbiltcupraces.com/images/blog/2016-01-22_13-02-53_edited-1.jpg

• Like 3

The Flying Wombat is NOT cool.........and under the penalty of duress.......you must publicly say so.......if you want the Stearns finished! 🤪

Please note: The above is NOT a political comment........it’s just pure blackmail. I have not seen any forum rules restricting it. 👍

• Haha 4

Weymann CORD, L-29. Rendering is from the Weymann sales literature/catalog of the era, photos are of the actual car in the early 1950s in Brooklyn , New York when owned by author and skilled scale model builder Herbert Lozier. Not sure if I shared these early on this thread or not.

WeymanncatalogartCORD001.jpg

WeymannCORDbackUNREST002.jpg

WeymannCORDinteriorUNREST003.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks ED!  Love the settings as well as the cars. France  was well known for the annual concours held in several locations, many along the coast , they were real social events to display not only the cars but the latest fashions. All were reported in motoring magazines of that era like La Carrossiere and Omnia. The November issues were usually larger to accommodate all the photos of the cars and it is great that those magazines had coated stock paper as it ( even today if viewed) allows much better clarity of the images/photograph and the paper does not deteriorate as fast as the normal non glossy paper used for most publications that had a higher acid content.  Observe that with very few exceptions just about all of the people in the photos were wearing stylish hats. Can everyo0ne imagine what the current 'concours' would look like if all participants were wearing period clothes - you would get a true picture of what the original  concours (the current ones are trying to emulate) would look like.

Walt

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Walt G said:

Weymann CORD, L-29. Rendering is from the Weymann sales literature/catalog of the era, photos are of the actual car in the early 1950s in Brooklyn , New York when owned by author and skilled scale model builder Herbert Lozier. Not sure if I shared these early on this thread or not.

WeymanncatalogartCORD001.jpg

WeymannCORDbackUNREST002.jpg

WeymannCORDinteriorUNREST003.jpg

The steering wheel looks to be lowered from stock.   Given the height of the car that would make sense.

I have some pictures of the car from sometime after that but not too much past the early 60s.   It had  been cleaned up by then.

• Thanks 1

I'm cross posting this from the Stearns Knight thread.   Pictured is a 1929 Stearns Knight H8-90 with what looks like a Rollston body in Central Park.   Pictured is the 1929 NY Salon at the Commodore Hotel.   Do you think they are the same car (see arrow)?   And do you agree the body is Rollston?

1929NewYorkAutoShow-Commodore-Hotel-Stearns-RollstonAnnotation.jpg

1929 Stearns-Knight H-8-90 Sedan Body perhaps by Rollston. Photo in Central Park by John Adams Davis or Nathan Lazarnick.jpg

• Like 1