Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

21 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

So what's the story on this car?

Another easy restoration..............the pickers said it was worth 50k.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

My only question is with all the surviving photos that there appear to be none of this car new in the wild and it would be a blast to see even a glimpse ? 

I don't think there ever were any photos of them taken 'in the wild' since they were prototypes and probably not sold to the public.  I'd expect the only place photos may be found is right where the car is now; in the ACD styling studio archives.

Craig

On 2/9/2021 at 4:28 PM, LCK81403 said:

Anybody know the skinny on this '32 Cord E-1 prototype?  It's turning radius probably would not be compatible with Boston's streets.

32 Cord E-1 prototype.jpg

There were two articles about this car in Special Interest Autos back in the 90s.  You can read the articles online on Hemmings' website:

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2012/04/22/sia-flashback-found-the-real-lost-cord-part-1

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2012/04/29/sia-flashback-found-the-real-lost-cord-part-2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Another easy restoration..............the pickers said it was worth 50k.

To the uninitiated, they are all easy restorations that should only take a couple of months.... because that is what is shown on TV.  Those of us that know, just laugh at the "time line" of getting stuff done fast.

I have a friend that just inherited his Dad's Model T.  I have tried to tell him that with these old cars, time lines are not like taking a modern car to the dealer and getting it fixed in a couple of days.  Some times it takes months or years to complete a project especially for non mainstream vehicles where making parts are required to get it running again.  

• Like 3

On 2/9/2021 at 3:28 PM, LCK81403 said:

Anybody know the skinny on this '32 Cord E-1 prototype?  It's turning radius probably would not be compatible with Boston's streets.

32 Cord E-1 prototype.jpg

Uhhh, turning radius of the Knock Nevis...  But its absolutely gorgeous!  

On 2/7/2021 at 2:13 PM, edinmass said:

3ED5972A-DBDC-4DD7-8C68-A0778E5D933A.png

This car began as a 1930 Packard 734 Speedster Eight runabout (boattail). In 1932, Packard chief designer Ed Macauley began playing with the idea of updating it to a Twelve. Eventually, the car was fitted with the LeBaron-style fenders, and later fitted with a 1935 hood. Four 1934, "production" boattail speedster were built, all of which still exist. The question as to whatever happened to the prototype has finally been resolved. I found these two unidentified photos during the past year posted on FaceBook. First, the sedan, then the boattail. When I first saw the sedan, I noticed the LeBaron-only hood ornament, along with the LeBaron-style fenders, wondering if this is what happened to Macauley's speedster prototype. Then, a few days ago, the boattail photo appeared. There is no denying that it is the Macauley speedster, based on the rocker/splash covers, and the fact that it sports the 1930 Model 734 body (the "productioon" 1934 boattail speedsters were very similar in design, but very much different at the same time). Both of these cars sport the same license plate, and European headlights.

Macauley Speedster 1.jpeg

Macauley speedster at Brooklands.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 1.20.37 PM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

One more thing I have noticed. The Macauley Speedster's LeBaron-style fenders do not match the fenders of the LeBaron boattails (nor the phaetons, for that matter) ... BUT.... they DO match the fenders of the LeBaron coupes. Notice the widow's peak at the front edge of the fender, as well as the bead and dip on the lower part of the fender skirt. Also note how the running board fits into the front fender, as opposed to ending before it gets there.

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 2.30.15 PM.png

Macauley Speedster 1.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 1.20.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 2.35.32 PM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The 1932 CORD E -1 prototype was CORD's longest vehicle. It just might also be the longest vehicle manufactured in the US? I have read that production of this behemoth during the height of the depression was just not in the cards. I have always wondered what could be stored under that super long hood other than an engine? 

On the building behind the automobile is a sign that looks like a London underground (subway) sign.  If that is true and this is a British vehicle, what is it?  Notice too the gasoline pump apparently on the sidewalk's edge.

c2a104b37d95a07cf830da9f02628dff.jpg

I rode in that wonderful white coupe when it was here on long island owned by a great guy - John Linhardt. The original owner of the car lived about 12 miles north of me, a man named Davidoff.  John bought the car from the original owner and it ran better then it looked! We went to the HCCA pre 1942 car show in Ridgefield, Ct. in it together along with the Pierce-Arrow guy Don Gilbert.  The B & W photo is of the car in 1950.

SO many memories, so much information and way to much period photographs, literature, periodicals, show programs etc here.

PackardLeBaroncoupe1934in1950001.jpg

Edited by Walt G
added information. (see edit history)
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Walt G said:

I rode in that wonderful white coupe when it was here on long island owned by a great guy - John Linhardt. The original owner of the car lived about 12 miles north of me, a man named Davidoff.  John bought the car from the original owner and it ran better then it looked! We went to the HCCA pre 1942 car show in Ridgefield, Ct. in it together along with the Pierce-Arrow guy Don Gilbert.  The B & W photo is of the car in 1950.

SO many memories, so much information and way to much period photographs, literature, periodicals, show programs etc here.

PackardLeBaroncoupe1934in1950001.jpg

Wonder where the wheel disk went. I was fortunate to play around with this car just a bit two or three years ago up in Maine. Interestingly it wasn’t to fix it. It was to measure it. It was going on display down south in an art museum, and they needed to know if it would fit on the elevator. We accurately measured it to the fraction on an inch........and it fit the elevator with about two inches to spare. For my money, I would have denied the cars placement in such a tight spot even though it was only for a brief change of floors. Credit must be given to the owner and collection manager for allowing the car to be displayed in such close and challenging circumstances. I have also had an opportunity to drive one of the others, and a good friend had been a caretaker of a third. This is the one Individual Custom Packard Twelve that never got me excited. It’s a fantastic car, but style wise it never spoke to me.

• Like 1

The big car has been identified as a Haynes. Believe it or not, the car behind it is a Chandler! No small car itself, it is the big brother to the 1919 Cleveland I posted just above.

Both the Chandler and the Cleveland can sometimes be identified by the shape of the rear windows (lights) in the top, if the tops are up. Both are shaped like the marque badge, both sometimes referred to as a 'bowtie' shape. The Cleveland, in this case, if zoomed in really close, reveals the Cleveland variation of the bowtie on the hubcaps.

Not all Chandlers and Clevelands had the rear window with the distinctive shape. Chandlers sometimes as early as about 1917, and Cleveland beginning in 1919 (the first year), up until about 1926, had the special rear windows on SOME models and body styles, both open and enclosed. Why on some and not all? I have no idea. But I have seen era pictures both with and without the windows that way.

Again, This information is for both the Chandler in this photo, and the Cleveland in the previous post above.

bigHaynesnChandler.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

Here's how the replica of the Macauley Packard looked in December 2020, not progressing rapidly.  Wray Schelin in the foreground.  I'll be in the shop on Friday, can get more photos.

906951915_McAuleyPackardandWraySchelin.thumb.JPG.e44c98313ae60c6d620352c35cd5c7a2.JPG

Wray looks the same as he did 30 years ago. 

6 hours ago, edinmass said:

Wonder where the wheel disk went.

That was the first thing I noticed, too. One of the three restored cars has the wheel discs, and it looks really cool with them on. I tend to agree with you a little bit in regards to styling, but through the decades of admiring all of the LeBarons, the coupe has grown on me, and I certainly would enjoy having one in my garage, and I would certainly enjoy driving it all over creation.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

Here's how the replica of the Macauley Packard looked in December 2020, not progressing rapidly.  Wray Schelin in the foreground.  I'll be in the shop on Friday, can get more photos.

906951915_McAuleyPackardandWraySchelin.thumb.JPG.e44c98313ae60c6d620352c35cd5c7a2.JPG

I would love to get Wray's insight and input on the photo I posted earlier. As far as I know, it is the ONLY photo of it showing what it looked like after Packard was done using it as a concept car. Based on the post 1934 hood and the slanted (1936-37) grille, and based on the photo being dated 1937, Packard must have continued updating the Speedster through 1935. Wray's re-creation version is meant to copy the 1933 iteration, but I wonder if the recently unearthed photo might change his mind a little bit. Inquiring minds want to know.

You have to experience the LeBaron coupe at a number of levels. I rode in the car both front and back seats to the show mentioned, this was at least 45 years ago. Amazingly comfortable - but a bit tight in the back for long legs! No sensation of speed even at 65-70 mph. I at times followed the car or drove along side it and the flow of the lines while the car was in motion against the back ground that swiftly changed was breath taking.

Same could be said for the Isotta Fraschini roadster that had a Fleetwood body that was scheduled to be bought by Rudolph Valentino. ( RV never owned it because he died before delivery) . That car too was here on long island and also "lived" north of me and was owned by a great guy named Joe Gaeta of the Manorhaven  section of Port Washington.  Great cars are even better when viewed in motion was the comment to me by a friend from England who attended Hershey with me in 1988. No truer words were ever spoken.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, West Peterson said:

That was the first thing I noticed, too. One of the three restored cars has the wheel discs, and it looks really cool with them on. I tend to agree with you a little bit in regards to styling, but through the decades of admiring all of the LeBarons, the coupe has grown on me, and I certainly would enjoy having one in my garage, and I would certainly enjoy driving it all over creation.

I’ll hold out for the Hussy Packard if I thrown for a LaBaron.............

16 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

On the building behind the automobile is a sign that looks like a London underground (subway) sign.  If that is true and this is a British vehicle, what is it?  Notice too the gasoline pump apparently on the sidewalk's edge.

c2a104b37d95a07cf830da9f02628dff.jpg

That is a 1928 or later Paris, France, registration, but the logo in the background looks to be the London underground rather than the Paris Metro.

1 hour ago, LCK81403 said:

What pray tell is this fine looking motor car?  Probably an early electric carriage.

72c1b16afb105a65e0c0a554fb68f7f6.jpg

It is a Heilmann. Even though the name sounds German I think they were in Le Havre. The company seems to be better known for pioneering electric railway locomotives. I haven't come up with anything much relating to this vehicle yet. Maybe it was a one-off?

I did find this link. The link in French there is no longer visible. The other vehicle there is one that ran in the first car race of 1894 that went from Paris to Rouen. There are lots of photos on the net from that event. 

Carriage for Grand Duke Alexis, 1890s - The Calgary Steampunk Assemblage (Calgary, AB) | Meetup

• Like 1

What is the story on this Fiat?  The first photo supposedly is a Fiat race car without further identification as to model and year.  The remarkable exhaust pipe is something to behold.  The second and third photos supposedly show a 1911 Fiat S76; identification with dates on the internet can sometimes be rather questionable.  The third photo, with the same two men sitting in the car is identified as a 1910 Fiat Tipo S76.  Is the car in the first photo a predecessor to the two photos of a car without the external exhaust, or are these two car-types the same car after/before an engine change?

Fiat racer.jpg

11 Fiat S76.jpg

10 Fiat Tipo S76.jpg

18 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

What is the story on this Fiat?  The first photo supposedly is a Fiat race car without further identification as to model and year.  The remarkable exhaust pipe is something to behold.  The second and third photos supposedly show a 1911 Fiat S76; identification with dates on the internet can sometimes be rather questionable.  The third photo, with the same two men sitting in the car is identified as a 1910 Fiat Tipo S76.  Is the car in the first photo a predecessor to the two photos of a car without the external exhaust, or are these two car-types the same car after/before an engine change?

Fiat racer.jpg

11 Fiat S76.jpg

10 Fiat Tipo S76.jpg

All you need to know is here - Fiat S76 Record - Wikipedia

Just search "Beast of Turin' on you tube for videos.

24 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

Fiat racer.jpg

11 Fiat S76.jpg

10 Fiat Tipo S76.jpg

More here - Just A Car Guy: people wonder what the largest displacement factory car engine was, here's the biggest piston engine, and the 2nd n 3rd biggest that I've come across

47 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

Fiat racer.jpg

11 Fiat S76.jpg

10 Fiat Tipo S76.jpg

More - page 1 of 3 - S76 | Search Results | The Old Motor

On 2/11/2021 at 8:20 AM, 8E45E said:

I don't think there ever were any photos of them taken 'in the wild' since they were prototypes and probably not sold to the public.  I'd expect the only place photos may be found is right where the car is now; in the ACD styling studio archives.

Craig

I will disagree, they seemed to take photos of nearly everything else they ever made - including prototypes (and no the museum does not have photos of it new either). 

1 hour ago, LCK81403 said:

Fiat racer.jpg

11 Fiat S76.jpg

10 Fiat Tipo S76.jpg

What is amazing about this car is that the current owner/restorer in England DRIVES it to shows all over the UK! He is often accompanied by a 1903 Mercedes.  They are driven on the motorways.

Gas station, taken 1940 in Brooklyn NY, Ocean Ave and Ave H.  Looks like somebody brought in their 1920's Rolls Royce for air.  Where the car is parked is where the tire hose were.  I lived  three blocks away from this station.  It last till around 2000, when it was torn down.

ocean ave gas satation.jpg

Edited by 32tatra (see edit history)
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

Just bring your Packard chassis and engine to Wray Schelin and you can have your own Macauley Special. 

11F2C3AD-E1FE-4D80-97ED-D59052C5EC3E.thumb.jpeg.3c99ddf9d237228a044538a3a64f8036.jpeg

664F8108-1F30-40A3-8EF2-6710FD31814E.thumb.jpeg.4b2687cb74f08bbebb02f616b67dde66.jpeg

Is he using that as the project for the classes to work on?    I like this idea much better than his "dream car" that he's been noodling around with for 20 years. 

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)