Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

15 hours ago, randy ema said:

I got those photos off a Facebook page....I went back and here is some more info that they have in the thread..

The Facebook page is "Scale Cadillac" if you have Facebook you should be able to search it. I think someone also posted to the AACA Facebook page so you could start there and make your way back to the source.

𝗪𝗵𝗼 𝗺𝗮𝗱𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝘀𝘁 𝗰𝗹𝗼𝘀𝗲𝗱 𝗯𝗼𝗱𝘆 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗖𝗮𝗱𝗶𝗹𝗹𝗮𝗰?
Хто виготовив перший закритий кузов для Cadillac?

At the end of 1905, Cadillac presented its founder Henry Leland the first completely enclosed car in the company's history. The small single-cylinder coupe was liked by 62-year-old Henry, who drove it for many years — even after Cadillac began producing 4- and 8-cylinder cars.

Where did this body come from? And here begins a real detective story.

According to the first version, the authorship is attributed to the Detroit firm Sievers & Erdman. This is written in the reference site of automotive coachbuilding (link left in the comments) and several publications that refer to Cadillac information (for example, «80 years of Cadillac La Salle», Walter M. McCall).

And more! The Sievers & Erdman own history states that it «supplied most of Cadillac’s closed bodies prior to 1910; initially wood paneled, they were supplanted with metal body panels, first of aluminum, then steel».

Everything is clear, isn't it? But acclaimed Cadillac historian Maurice D. Hendry cites a different version. Here is what he writes in the book «Cadillac, standard of the world»: «The body was built under the supervision of Fred J. Fisher in the Wilson Body Company plant in Detroit (who became later the founder of a company that for many years created bodies for Cadillac. - Aut.)».

And the most interesting thing is that this information is confirmed by the same reference site that gives the authorship of the body Sievers & Erdman (link in the comment)!

So whose hands actually created the iconic car? If you know the answer, please write it in the comments.

• Like 1

I am taking an educated guess here ( should look at the original sales catalog I have on the company and period 8 x 10 photos as well) but the town car I believe has coachwork ( and fenders ) by Don Lee in California.

The photo of a Cord funeral and ambulance vehicle was posted earlier by Edinmass.  Either there were/are two of the stretched Cords, or perhaps the same vehicle slightly modified.  The first attached Cord is the funeral/ambulance model, the second photo shows a stretched Cord, but it has a roof rack and a radiator-mascot on the hood.  

Cord stretched funeral and ambulance.png

Cord stretched.jpg

• Like 1

Savage firearms is what is left of the Dureya Brothers car company from the early days......still in business in Westfield Mass last I knew, and I have one of their new "flat shooters" in .177

• Thanks 1

Check out the Leon Rubay auto parts stand, 1906 New York Auto Show...........he went bankrupt, moved to Paris, went broke again, then moved to Cleveland and became successful.  

Check out the license plates on the wall......very cool.

77C04091-ADD7-42A7-A0A5-263A1A1744C9.png

• Like 4

The license plates on the wall in the photo look really nice.  And that reminds me, (ARGHHH) that I bought a collector car in October, submitted paperwork for a Horseless Carriage license plate and still waiting for the plate.  The Court House people tell me the license plate manufacturer is closed down due to COVID.  Three months down and waiting. 

77C04091-ADD7-42A7-A0A5-263A1A1744C9.thumb.png.a8eeb0449c1cdfa1d1405c08f8054e3c.png

39 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Check out the Leon Rubay auto parts stand, 1906 New York Auto Show...........he went bankrupt, moved to Paris, went broke again, then moved to Cleveland and became successful.  

Until his entry into the complete automobile manufacturing business with his 1923 Leon Rubay, a 124.8 c.in. OHV four cylinder, 118" wheelbase, $5,100-$5,300.   Do any Leon Rubay cars still exist?