After looking for 5 years I found my ashtray

Mark Gregory

Thanks to everyones contributions trying to help me find my Reo Royale Victoria ashtray.

I found one that has the two ash holders and I can modify the wood style.

For a $50 purchase price and 5 years of looking I got one. I have seen some going not my style for $200

I got this on eBay from Classic and Exotic

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Glad to hear you found that elusive missing part. Hope you weren't flicking ashes all over the floor in the meantime. 😜 Expensive habit that just ruins everything including your health. Dandy Dave!   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

Glad to hear you found that elusive missing part. Hope you weren't flicking ashes all over the floor in the meantime. 😜 Expensive habit that just ruins everything including your health. Dandy Dave!   

He only wanted it for the cigar lighter socket for a radar detector!!

Craig

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

I can’t imagine how many of this sort of piece wound up lost to time...

I wonder if the original owner was a non-smoker and didn't want anyone to smoke inside the car, and immediately removed them when got the car home, safely storing them inside the house, where were only recently discovered.   It may explain why its in such nice shape.   (Could it be from this same car??)

Craig

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

I wonder if the original owner was a non-smoker and didn't want anyone to smoke inside the car, and immediately removed them when got the car home, safely storing them inside the house, where were only recently discovered.   It may explain why its in such nice shape.   (Could it be from this same car??)

Craig

In agreement with condition. My car lead a very sheltered life and I had to do a coat of tung oil using fine steel wool to clean the mess before it looked halfway near as good as the one you found.

To keep it from being able to get hot, I rewired everything in the car but the lighters...

B3C49D00-AD9D-4855-B2BA-C3738B53415A.jpeg

Edited by Mark Wetherbee (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Last fall I bought another Reatta because the Tan interior was so much better then the one in my Red Reatta. This is the second Reatta I bought for just this reason. The first one I bought for that the guy sent me "old" pictures that were near perfect verses what the car actually was.

The kicker? About 3 months after I do this a guy on the Reatta forum who was going to restore his Reatta gave up and threw his pristine door panels in the dumpster when he got out of the hobby.

When I bought my 32’ Olds as a project, the small door recessed mount ashtray was missing. All GM cars of the era and Cabriolet type models used the exact same size and receptacle but the tray itself was slightly different. There are repops made of the Chevy version which I could of used but kept look for an original. While I couldn’t find an Olds one, an original pontiac, with the Indian head logo came up on eBay so I bought it, figuring someone would have to look really close to see what it was. When talking with my friend joe who was restoring a 32’ Olds coupe at the same time I was doing my roadster, I told him I had found a pontiac ashtray. Well it turned out he had a 32’ pontiac convertible coupe, like my Olds, but he could only find an Oldsmobile logo ashtray. So we ended up trading and he got a pontiac tray for his pontiac and I got an Oldsmobile tray for my Olds! 

While its its hard to see in the photo, it’s the shield and acorn Olds logo on the ashtray. What a find. Just like your 5 year search.

CA94EE19-1322-4489-BA7F-447092A12D8F.jpeg

2C3FB4F0-B3C6-4661-B72C-4B47FF627EBF.jpeg

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Like 10

Years ago I walked around Hershey for 10 years wearing a sandwich sign advertising for 38 Cadillac 90 series side panels which are different from the 75 series. Never found one or got a good lead.  Several years later I answered a Hemings add for a 58 Cadillac instrument cluster and mentioned my 38 Cadillac needs.  His mother had a complete 38 Cadillac 90 series front clip with sidemounts in her out building.  Never stop looking!!!

• Like 2

When I was a kid my dad had a full nose from a 37 LaSalle, late 1970’s timeframe. We had set up at a flea market at the old Shaffer Stadium in Massachusetts when a guy came running up behind us as we were pulling in and almost literally threw his hands around the grill section in a bear hug. All he needed was the grill and hood ornament but he paid for the entire nose just to get it, said he’d been looking for years. I don’t think he ever came back for the fenders and hood because we sold them in Hershey about 12 years later. 

• Like 1

Friend of mine was restoring a '29 Packard Phaeton. For some reason he was missing the driver's side lower hood panel.  He also bought investment properties. While cleaning out his latest real estate buy he found a high shelf in the attic, too high to see into so he reached up to feel if anything was there and you guessed it,  he pulled out a '29 Packard driver's side hood panel,  the only car part in the building.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

........................For some reason he was missing the driver's side lower hood panel......................

So since we don't know the reason, could the discovered panel be THE VERY ONE which had been separated from the car ?   -   CC 

• Haha 1

Years ago I had a 1926 Chrysler along with my first 1931 Dodge Brothers coupe. Went out to do some camping in Death Valley near Panamint and found two radiator shells in the middle of nowhere. One was for a 1926 Chrysler. The other was for a 1931 Dodge. There were no other car parts to be found near there. I wonder what the odds are of THAT happening....

John and radiator shells.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 2