Terne metal

Restorer32

We are looking to make a set of spring gaiters for a 1932 Packard. They were originally made from Terne metal ASTM 308, which is a lead/tin coated steel. Anyone know of a source for this steel?  Our local steel provider can't find it.  We have used it in years past but no luck this time.

I wonder if this metal would work for gas tanks. I need to make a couple of simple square tanks for brass era cars. Originals were made of 20 ga. steel, soldered together and galvanized. This could make a better rust resistant tank with the same "look" as galvanized.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jdome said:

I wonder if this metal would work for gas tanks. I need to make a couple of simple square tanks for brass era cars. Originals were made of 20 ga. steel, soldered together and galvanized. This could make a better rust resistant tank with the same "look" as galvanized.

Just make them of galvanized steel or have a tin smith who makes duct work make them. All they do is make things of galvanized steel .

• Like 1

Most of the older buildings in my town in SE PA have terne roofs. My shop and house both used this material, and are holding well after 100+ years, the downside being that they must be painted every 8 years or so. The only terne maker, Follansbee Steel of West Virginia, went out of business in 2012, and the roofers here now use copper. I wasn't aware there was a new source.

8 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Curious about this - I have a set of Spring Covers to make as well.

Difficult work.......hours and hours of hand bending.......

• Like 1

I have made three metal sets for springs, though many years ago. Using originals as patterns to study, you will soon understand what is required and no longer need the originals. It requires little in the way of equipment, a barfolder would be a plus. At that time I saw a new set of leather gaiters that were for a 1951 Rolls. The engineering and work in those was TOO amazing. You may make leather covers but proper Gaiters is Quite another job.

FYI   Three pictures of Leather gaiters.  One is an illustration of a new gaiter that can be ordered.  Two is an unknown car.  Three is the original leather gaiter on my Pontiac.

Oldsmobile had metal spring covers in the 30's and I can see how much easier they would be to make than leather.

gaiter2.jpg

p0001662.jpg

leathercoveredspring.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking at the website posted by David, that metal has the look of zinc house flashing. I used a bit of it and copper while restoring our  farmhouse in Maine. The local lumber company had it in varying thickness and widths. I’m pretty sure I still have a short length if you need a picture of it for comparison. Zinc forms quite easily like soft copper.