2020 - 2020 mile challenge

JohnD1956

Everyone is invited to the 2020- 2,020 mile challenge.  This challenge is all about using your collector car in the year 2020.  Basically:  choose your vehicle: choose your mileage goal:  and then see if you can accomplish adding that many miles to the car in this year.  In the spirit of Buick fellowship everyone is invited to join at any point along the way.

There are no rules.  You can use one car or more than one car, if you like.  You can go the 2,020 miles or more, or less, if you like.  You choose. You keep track.  And occasionally, along the way,  post up how you're doing. 

Pictures are optional but we all like pictures.  So post places you've gone,  and odometer accumulations,  or what ever helps you make your goal. 

As for me,  I am going to add all three of my cars together this year. I let the other sit too much and missed driving them while trying to do this all in one car in 2019.  I wish you all good luck with your goals.  

• Like 6

I'm in for 2020.  But, like you John I'm going to have to include my Eldorado with the Reatta.  I do expect to add some additional miles this year as opposed to last with the Reatta, though...I will be driving it to the 2020 BCA Nationals in OH.

Edited by DShip (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I'm in.

Today I'm finishing the install of new AC hoses and new tires are on the list. I have a few more items to inspect, then I'll be ready to go.

The BCA Nationals are only an hour or so from me. Planning to be there too.

My Whippet is waiting on the engine rebuild to be completed. Hopefully before June it will be done.

Hope to be driving the Buick soon.

Bill

• Like 3

Just reminding myself of my starting point:

The Super : 138,432  DSC00296.JPG.2805656a6a5823cd7baa5ccf3491878c.JPG

The GS:  59,502        DSC00297.JPG.571d7634ea6eb1c5e09e5b18925337d0.JPG

The Electra: 109,094   DSC00299.JPG.b8d6260586dc324618bdae80317b460a.JPG

And, although not part of this mix,  the Century:   DSC00302.JPG.6072d3b77eaa89be18b725108f17a74c.JPG  at 186,237.  

Also not part of the challenge, The Regal, which is at 44K right now.   We'll see how this progresses this year.  Looking forward to everyone's posts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gungeey said:

DOUBLE DOWN: I'll see your 2020 and raise you. My personal goal will be 4040 miles. I'll dip into the piggy bank for gas money. Steve

buick chall.jpg

buick chall 2.jpg

Now THAT's a challenge!  Will be fun to watch! 

With winter set in and salt on the road for the next few months will have to see when I next start on the challenge this year.

However,

Just came back from 95Cardinal today who had this speedometer which appears to be in fine working order and plan on putting it in so this will be the official starting mileage.

IMG_6438.thumb.JPG.96786ec183e12b268a3389f5013fa100.JPG

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 12:23 PM, RivNut said:

For some of novices, can you explain the transmission selector.  It's an automatic but where's Park?

Postwar Hydra-Matics now had a N-D-L-R shift pattern and revised gear ratios. Hydra-Matic didn’t have a Park position until the second-generation Controlled Coupling Hydra-Matic arrived in 1956, but with the engine off, the reverse pawl would effectively lock the transmission output shaft, serving the same purpose.

https://ateupwithmotor.com/terms-technology-definitions/hydramatic-history-part-1/3/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2020 at 8:13 AM, DShip said:

I'm in for 2020.  But, like you John I'm going to have to include my Eldorado with the Reatta.  I do expect to add some additional miles this year as opposed to last with the Reatta, though...I will be driving it to the 2020 BCA Nationals in OH.

We can add in other makes of vehicles besides Buick?

I didn't participate last year because I didn't expect to drive the '37 Roadmaster 2019 miles.

If other makes are included and allowable,

then I'm in !!

On 1/18/2020 at 9:03 AM, EmTee said:

Postwar Hydra-Matics now had a N-D-L-R shift pattern and revised gear ratios. Hydra-Matic didn’t have a Park position until the second-generation Controlled Coupling Hydra-Matic arrived in 1956, but with the engine off, the reverse pawl would effectively lock the transmission output shaft, serving the same purpose.

IMG_1998.JPG

On 1/18/2020 at 9:03 AM, EmTee said:

Additional note:

For the Pontiac, as on our 1954 Cadillac,

there are two (2) detents, one on either side of the Drive (DR) Range.

The leftmost one allows the Hydramatic to shift through all four gears (2 in Low Range, 2 in High Range), effectively a 4-speed trans.

The right of the two DR detents holds the trans effectively in 3rd gear - the lower of the two in the high range.

The purpose is to keep a more usable gear for city driving with great acceleration.

The highest range is effectively locked out with no upshift to 4th gear. 

The topmost (4th) gear is essentially a "cruising" gear, reducing engine revs, best for when you get away from the stop sign/traffic light gran prix.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Due to necessity I backed the Special out and warmed it up while stapling plastic back up to the rafters inside.

Hearing her run I decided to run the neighbourhood and blow off some winter dust (and critter nesting / chewing's from above).

IMG_6533.thumb.JPG.955551704fa330cb201262971744c3a4.JPG

The whole trip might have totalled 5 miles (it was 30 degrees and sunny and NICE though) but this is the first time out for 2020.

COME ON SPRING!

IMG_6537.JPG

• Like 2

I'm planning to take up the challenge this year with my Skylark. I upgraded/replaced the brake system last year, took care of a carburetor problem a couple of weeks ago, and am now in  the process of dealing with a cooling system leak that I hope to resolve shortly. Once that's done the car should be ready for a road trip.

I plan to drive to South Bend, IN and then back to Auburn before driving home to northern NJ. No interstate highways, US highways only. Time permitting I may take a side trip to Indianapolis to visit a friend before returning home. The round trip to South Bend alone will get me around 1,500 miles toward the goal. That trip will serve as a shakedown cruise of sorts for an eventual trip along the Lincoln Highway or US 66 one day. One step at a time.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Machine Gun said:

I plan to drive to South Bend, IN and then back to Auburn before driving home to northern NJ

I am sure many have done that and I can tell you from personal experience, that trip will not be regretted. Its fablous!

I did my first drive today for the challenge.  The challenging part seems to be getting my new phone and new computer to conversing. Since I have not figured that out, no pics.

Official starting mileage:    18707  on the GPS Speedometer.

100 miles today.  

See ya.

Ben

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m going to give it a try again this year John. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your perspective), I’ve been “gifted” this 71 Chevelle that was sitting in the original owners garage for 26 years.  He downsized into a condo and doesn’t have room for it.  The only space I have for it is in the driveway directly in front of the door where the Electra lives. 

First priority is to get the “crapelle” running and put some tires that will hold air so I can move it out of the way of the Electra (which needs a new heater core). Fun fun around my place! 

89042FEC-693E-4F46-B05C-E885D7CED400.jpeg

• Like 3

Looks pretty solid Doug. Could be a money maker with the right rims and tires. Nice that it is the 350 and not the 307, although the 307 is a decent engine.  Do you have to keep it?

2 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Looks pretty solid Doug. Could be a money maker with the right rims and tires. Nice that it is the 350 and not the 307, although the 307 is a decent engine.  Do you have to keep it?

It's really not that bad.  102K miles and the usual rust issues behind both the front and rear wheels and above the wheel arches in the trunk.  Bumpers are rusty as well and it will need a new vinyl top and a repaint to make it nice, but the floors and frame and interior are very nice.  I just purchased a set of 15-inch Chevy Rallies for it, with the trim rings and center caps, so should help the stance a bit.  The original owner is a close family friend to my wife, and neither of his son's wanted it, so I guess I was the only one not allowed to say no (even though I tried).  Before I sell it, I'd have to get his permission and likely offer it back to his sons first.  My plan is to put some money in to make it driveable and somewhat presentable, sell it then just reimburse my direct costs and give the original owner the balance.  I don't know the price of these things, but I would think I could get $5000 for the car as it sits given it's a 2-dr. 

Either way, it's distracting me from the Buicks so I need to get it out of the way.  I am amazed that I can buy any part, and I mean any part, for this car brand new!

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

With everything that's going on right now I'm not sure if and when I'll be able to make my road trip to South Bend and Auburn. Being optimistic about it I'm posting my "official" starting mileage. I plan to head west as long as there are hotels and restaurants operating along the way.

63EA57EB-B575-41D7-A521-60DF96D977AB_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm late to the game again....in 2020

I just purchased my new tires and had them mounted last week.........and the Buick is safe to drive again.

After working on the A/C this winter and checking and/or replacing all the hoses, belts, brakes, connections, bulbs, fluids etc. I took it on it's maiden voyage this year. Just around the block to blow off any dust. I put a bit over 50 miles on it and had no problems. Can't wait till I have a chance to drive it more.

Even though I've never had to call for a tow for the Buick since getting it back on the road in 2008, My wife wants me to not take it too far until the lock down / stay at home policy is over. After all I'm not even sure if the tow trucks are up and running.

Happy wife - Happy life

Good luck to all.

Bill

• Like 3

Was able to get the wagon out for the first real drive of the year. Beautiful day here so took advantage of it and went on an extended drive of 114 miles.  With all the virus talk and restrictions why not take advantage of the cheap gas prices and quarantine myself in a Buick. Besides, it’s big enough I can keep socially distant from my wife in the passenger seat!  😊

Will get to replacing the Electra’s heater core soon so it can join the party! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

A nice Spring afternoon yesterday, so I decided to take Goldie out for a ride.  With what's going on now, the traffic was much lighter than normal on a Friday afternoon.  Stopped at Sylvan Beach and only saw a few people fishing (widely separated...).

image.thumb.png.8df1777254889ba39e0f78a87d0eea96.png

• Like 3