B Jake Moran

Facebook Marketplace v Craigslist v ebay

Facebook has tons of advertising in my newsfeed. If ever I look to buy something online, then I will see repeated ads for those types of items in my facebook newsfeed.

If you click on the options button by the ad you can mark them as “irrelevant,” and they will mostly all go away after a week or so.

I attempted to make a bid on e-bay and found a note “Use your Facebook “. Use unable to get into my account. Ended up with a cyber connection to India and an attempt to set my password. I was unable to set my account password. I do not have a FACE book account and do not plan on getting one.

With all this technology who knows what else will be used in the future. We already have Instagram. My grandsons do not even use Facebook any more and prefers Instagram.

We still have telephones.

Edited by stakeside
E (see edit history)

11 hours ago, stakeside said:

We still have telephones.

Everyone in the world has a phone  it seems. 

You mean you have one with copper wire attached to the wall like me?😄

I use a dial phone (Western Electric 500 series) at work just to impress the youngsters. "You put your finger in here and move the dial..."

• Haha 2

On 12/10/2019 at 10:24 AM, JACK M said:

Well, I don't sell a car very often, but just sold the Jeepster.

Hemmings brought one lowball offer, C/L nothing, Ebay nothing, AACA ad brought some good comment but no takers, FB was listed for several months and that's where it sold.

The buyer commented that he had seen it early on but it was his daughter that finally lit the fire under him.

I did get a few questions and requests for pictures from some ads.

And I always responded, I also would send a phone number saying  "If you are a serious shopper please give me a call".  Not many calls.

I find FB difficult to navigate. I may see an item listed and then cant find it the next day. Its definitely for those with more computer skills than I have. So yea, kids and scammers.

I sold the ‘79 LTC and the ‘50 Shoebox, and an ‘80’s Dodge Van from Texas on Facebook also. Had them both posted on eBay and the Shoebox on Hemming too. The Shoebox buyer ended the auction with “buy it now” on eBay because he was afraid to loose it, but he found the link on Facebook from an ad I posted in a old car group. 

Sold the ‘30 A, ‘70 Bronco, ‘63 Rampy, and the ‘55 Chev all on eBay. 

I sold the ‘24 T and ‘61 Greenbrier by word of mouth. 

Since Facebook is free, it doesn’t hurt to add it for exposure by posting a link to eBay, Hemmings, etc. I stayed away from Craigslists because of the scammers. They are everywhere but Craigslist is the worst. I had no issues with bad bidders or scammers. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

No Ebay bid is binding if the buyer wants to just walk away, particularly on vehicles

same with sellers- bought a few vehicles on ebay, only to find the seller cancelled the sale- they are allowed to do that. so if you dont get what you want for a vehicle, just cancel your sale. lesson learned.

ebay also owns a good part of CL- as many of you may already know.

Just listed 2 small motorcycles on CL under parts...........well not only did I not give out my ccd, but I was also able to renew them weekly.

both sold for full price. cash in hand.

Regardless of where you list your vehicle for sale - this is the worst time of the year ro try and sell.

Unless you are strapped for cash - wait until the Spring.

Folks are maxed out from Christmas purchases - taxes are coming due.

Buyers want Bargains in Winter.

The last car I dropped off was an obscure one - a 1988 Alpha Romeo Milano my customer found on " Bring A Trailer ".

1407400315_file-2020-01-16T054304_831.jpeg.0ab2b6744aa910eeea0364865fb20862.jpeg

He got it at a good price - in January of 2019  he also bought this 2002 Maserati  Spyder in January of 2019

on " Bring A Trailer " at a good price that I hauled for him.

1300733921_file-2020-01-16T054318_404.jpeg.bcf480718f9ff8c789d15850b3f06010.jpeg

Right now I have a vehicle for sale both on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist.

Neither FB or CL is attracting serious interest ....

Wait until Spring.

Jim

• Like 1

I hate to give new life to threads that died  awhile ago but I am curious as to whether or not anyone is using Ebay's "Managed Payment" program that they forced on some sellers in lieu of Paypal. It looks like all sellers will eventually end up being forced to join and am just wondering if it creates any problems.  Thanks for any information you can give.

• Like 1

I just listed something a few days ago, and I have no idea what it is you are talking about.  It was the same for me. I’ve never heard of this payment program.

You have the JOIN Facebook to view the cars for sale correct? If so I don't think it worth the risk. Bob

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

No more risk than joining here.  Plus, I would imagine a site like Facebook has way better security that a site about old cars.  It’s only a risk if you actually put information on there that you don’t want people to have.

Ebay has stated that they will be requiring all sellers to accept "Managed Payments" and will, by the end of the year, try to incorporate all sellers. Managed payments is envisioned to replace Paypal. They have switched an unknown number of dealers over so far, voluntarily. They are now going to force the issue. You will be getting paid for your sales by Ebay, not Paypal. From the latest User Agreement notice.

Key updates:

• eBay intends to manage payments for more sellers in more markets in the near future
• Clarification of which user agreement applies when you buy or sell in other countries
• Know when we hold or restrict seller funds

It nay be a few months away for most but the new management states it will happen.

• Like 1

Paypal collects a substantial fee, in addition to the "seller's fee" that eBay collects.

eBay wants you to pay through eBay and not use Paypal. The net benefit to the seller will probably be zero. Total fees will probably be the same.

More paperwork for us peons though.  It's a bit of a pain now to get your tax info off ebay and pay pal now.  So anytime they throw another hoop in the works to jump through it just makes it more work for us.  You get the nice 1099 from pay pal but that doesn't break down money paid to ebay for shipping or other things which you then have to go into ebay to figure out which doesn't have a nice easy way or simple total.  So now ebay will have to report to the IRS and supply a 1099 as well.  I like to keep things simple not make them more complicated but I'm sure ebay found a new way to squeeze some more pennies out of us.  Like not refunding money on shipping we refund amongst other things.   I just need to figure my way to bleed an extra few cents out of every transaction instead of losing that much every time they come up with something new and improved. 

• Like 1

It will not be cheaper - though tight lipped there are a few things that are known, mostly

1) Money will not be instantly available - think they are down to 3 days now -still a lot of "float" money for them. They have also condescended to allow paying for shipping out of funds they are still holding

2) At the last q&a they are holding firm to a 25 cent per sold item charge in addition to the percentage - obvious attempt to get rid of the low end stuff

There's more but it appears that it will be more expensive and a  lot harder to deal with than  paypal

Re: the tax issue don't forget that the sales tax ebay collected shows up in Paypal totals starting in November and has to be backed out to make your accounts balance - what fun......

Randy, just start your auctions a few dollars higher.

All of my titles have gone up 25-50. beginning March 1st. Doesnt seem to make a difference. They either want your products or not..........

Sounds like the total shaft for sellers like me that sell alot of items for 2.99-10.00.  I sell almost 11,000 items a year now we'll work off say 10,000 sales to make it easy.  That's $2500 a year raise they just gave them selves and a $2500 a year charge they just hit me with.  I really wish someone would give us a viable alternative.  As it is.  items seem to be selling for much less than they used to. 

Makes me even madder when I think about it as that's the new set of 6 tires for my car and the cost to paint all the rims.  Gone with the stroke of a key.  On top of that my wife got an ebay bucks deal that was only available to some people and not everyone.  Seems like discrimination to me.  Especially since I put so much into making their company like many other private sellers succeed.  All they do is give us the shaft. Even when they give you those ebay bucks they aren't losing squat as they are still making a percentage on every sale and the bucks are only good to buy other merchandise on ebay which they make a fee from. 

• Like 1

Alot of stuff I sell struggles to find buyers even at the open er of 2.99, but the problem is it's an auction so one you were going to throw away sells for 20.00-50.00 and the good looking stuff doesn't even get the opening bid of 2.99.  

I just had a customer stiff me for 465 items, totaling over $2,000.  I won't tell you how much work it takes to open an unpaid item case on every single item individually which you have to close.  I have over 3 hours just opening cases for 1/2 because the other half timed out of the system,  so I'm stuck paying those fees , though every invoice had an unpaid item on it,  they only let me open cases on the less than 30 days.  Now I have to go in and close them.  I lose my listing times,  listing fees and as far as I know this person with 2000 positive feedback is still bidding on other peoples stuff.  All fun right.  I still have to put those 465 items back in stock.   The shoot all new photos and list them when I get back around to selling that stuff again in 6 months.  I wrote ebay,  but they never responded.  Great to be a power seller isn't it?

Not to mention this all took place while I was buying the Auburn and stretching myself thin to begin with.  Sure would have made it a little less stressful to have that 2G in my bank account. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

No telling what the timing is except I know that their agreement with Paypal ends sometime this year. It was surprising to me that they stuck to their guns on the per item fee because you know that the mega vendors aren't paying it........I suppose there will be a day when the word "ethics" no longer appears in the dictionary....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

More paperwork for us peons though.  It's a bit of a pain now to get your tax info off ebay and pay pal now.  So anytime they throw another hoop in the works to jump through it just makes it more work for us.  You get the nice 1099 from pay pal but that doesn't break down money paid to ebay for shipping or other things which you then have to go into ebay to figure out which doesn't have a nice easy way or simple total.  So now ebay will have to report to the IRS and supply a 1099 as well.  I like to keep things simple not make them more complicated but I'm sure ebay found a new way to squeeze some more pennies out of us.  Like not refunding money on shipping we refund amongst other things.   I just need to figure my way to bleed an extra few cents out of every transaction instead of losing that much every time they come up with something new and improved. 

I'm at a total loss trying to understand eBay Math,. Looks like I sold a lot of stuff this month if you look at the total, but they add the shipping and state tax in the mix. If I sell something with "free shipping" does eBay go ahead and add some mystery shipping fee they make up in there. Heaven help the overseas buyers that get hit with "Global Shipping" Bob 

1 hour ago, vermontboy said:

No telling what the timing is except I know that their agreement with Paypal ends sometime this year. It was surprising to me that they stuck to their guns on the per item fee because you know that the mega vendors aren't paying it........I suppose there will be a day when the word "ethics" no longer appears in the dictionary....

There will be an notation that states doesn't apply to Ebay at the very least.

I heard they were suppose to keep pay pal as an option.  Not sure how that works because only pay pal is tied to my bank. I'm not sure if I want ebay tied as well with some of their dubious moves and Methods.  They may have the only game in town,  but times change.  The day for a good alternative will come.  I'm not making the money I use to make despite having better stuff than I ever have.  

Hear that guys selling literature.  It isn't getting more valuable,  the markets dropping.  Sell it now before it falls out completely.  Many of my customers are in their 70's and 80's and have already bought all but the most unusual stuff from me.  I only have a handful of regular customers as it is and many items at my stupid cheap opening bid only get a couple of watchers if that.  

3 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Hear that guys selling literature.  It isn't getting more valuable,  the markets dropping.  Sell it now before it falls out completely.  Many of my customers are in their 70's and 80's and have already bought all but the most unusual stuff from me.  I only have a handful of regular customers as it is and many items at my stupid cheap opening bid only get a couple of watchers if that.  

The canary in the coal mine (old car hobby), perhaps..........Bob

• Like 1

It's more years and years of the younger generation being programmed to cast off stuff for a minimalistic life style and a huge supply network popping up on the internet.  It's happened with lots of stuff once deemed rare. 

Cast off my tiny house on a postage stamp for a bigger house on some property and couldn't be happier. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

Quite possibly Paypal doesnt want to be associated with ebay any longer, due to being pissed at losing the largest account they ever had............

progress.

Paypal at 4% fees can shove it up their.............